Majik Masterpiece - Bee Inspired!
 1-20  21-24

Next
Whew!

I didn't fall out of love with MoI, I've spent nearly two months working on a masterpiece that all started with a cool vision.

One day I pictured in my head a strange port-like shape made from Blends, and it would have a hexagonal aspect to it like a honey-comb.
I pictured a grill inside and it would probably be made with the help of the Flow tool.

Okay, I created it and it looked pretty good after some consternation with the inner grill that became too complex for the Array tool in MoI to handle.
So! What in the world should I do with it? I thought of many objects including the top of a custom PC case for a fan vent, but a boom-box kept coming to mind.

The "Bee" look did not come to mind at first, the object was just going to make a cool stereo model.

I used Networks made from profile rings and curves to make the general lobe shapes for the speaker ports and a big one to make a bee-like head, which was more of an accident.
Everything came together in a piecemeal fashion. Cutting, Trimming and so forth...
And after a while I started to form and idea on what features were needed to make this model look more like a bee-shaped radio.
The "Bee" shape of the thing seemed crazy and strange to me at first, but I fell in love with it's eccentric novelty through the design process.

There were a couple of tools in MoI that I became better acquainted with designing this model, and they became vital:
1) The C-Plane and Orient tools which allowed me to work at any angle needed to build right off of the different strange features of this model.
2) The new Iso-Curve/Trim tool really helped shore up those hard to manage Blend surfaces.
3) Liberal use of the "Isolate" script feature.

Many of the small connectors came from 3DContentCentral.

And Fillets were rarely used so lots of Blends were made.

One strange method I used for creating a surface involved Projecting line segments, draping them over a Networked surface.
In-turn, I Lofted the draped curves to create a new "interpreted" surface...
why? There was the large seam made by the Network, and since you CAN'T tell MoI to put the Network seam where you really want it, I had to get rid of it somehow.

There were many parts of this model that were purely over-kill, but were more for my satisfaction.
My design style, as far as the render phase is concerned is to focus on minute details for close-in shots.

The rendering process was awful display of frustration!
Since the time and money for me to invest in a better rendering program is not on the horizon, I'm using the free Kerkythea.
The plus side is that it has that really nice Metropolis Light Transfer (Bi-Path Tracing) mode which is a savior with tiny detail and all the crazy lighting,
caustics and reflections I so love, but the wait time for cleaner images goes into DAYS, not minutes.
I paid close attention to exporting meshes through .obj's that were not too intense, but with so many surfaces and objects,
Kerky couldn't render the model in other modes. MLT seemed to work fine.
Fine, that is, until the PC at work had to shut down now and again due to power outages! Kerky does not save mid-renders... that sucks!
I'll figure out that part sooner or later with a new modeler, but it was fun inventing new materials.
I've got LED's and illuminated surfaces down pat.

I was going to post the model, but storing a 300 meg 3DM file on the "cloud" is still too daunting for this "cloud" thing everyone is gawking about.

The pics are in the gallery and I hope they inspire many of you!

Here is the "Deluxe" Bee Box model (in charcoal color) with its cool LED's turned on:

Many portable BlueTooth type amplified speaker systems have been popping up recently, (especially after I though of it first ;-) )
but a system like this is really for the eccentric high-end user. This MoI3D modeling project took me the entire month of August 2012 to design
with a final file size of just under 300 megs. The month of September was used to render different aspects of the "Bee Box" for different views.

MoI is unique from an industrial parametric modeler as where you are allowed to free-design an idea rather than have to come up with all the parameters first.
The final renders and results are actually right on the money from what was envisioned at the start.
My only regret was the amount of time it took from start to finish - Not that MoI was slow, but as all the work could only be done in my scant spare time.

I enjoyed this project and I have MoI to thank!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5450.2 In reply to 5450.1 
Hi Mike, it's the Bee's knees! :)

The antennae are the perfect touch. Your MoI projects keep getting more and more sophisticated, this one is really up there!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I like orange one(because it's my favourite color),plastic glossy is -real- considering you have done with Kerky(free)
also great look plastic in MOI render and bee-box logo too (it's jour job)
don't be sad if it toke a lot of time for render:you got many spotlights in a closed scene and many blends (that's Mike's style)
if you want to mantain all them rounded and smooth when export,you have to set the mesh with an higher numbers of polys
so...300Mb model + lot of lights = long time render..it's normal !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very cool.... I like it...

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Mike, you have surpassed yourself sir ... Really good clean surfaces, un-rushed and perfected .... Excellent stuff!!

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Amazing piece fo work.

Denis

| CorelDraw Grahics Suite X5 | Daz Carrara Pro 8 | Moi 3D V2 |

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Amazing work Mike. Really shows what MoI can do.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Cool one!
Maybe you must tale a look to Cyles inside Blender!

And what the name of the honey produced ? ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for all the kudos guys! :-)

Where in the world was MoI back when I was younger. I can't think of a day that doesn't go by now without trying something out in it.
This model was a dream. It really is very close to what I envisioned in my mind.
And MoI has a really fantastic .obj tessellation mechanism!

Michael, Thank you very much for the times with this model when I needed to figure out some strange issue or glitch and you were there with ready help!

Hi Pilou! Why, if it made honey, it would have to make what is called "Tupelo" honey. ;-)
That's the kind we make here in north Florida. It's very good on a peanut-butter and banana sandwhich. One of my favorite treats is a small jar with a chunk of honeycomb in it surrounded by fresh, un-Pasteurized honey. (now I'm hungry)

Come to speak of it - when I was growing up, we had real "hippy" neighbors. I remember the lady's name was "Star". They had two white bee hive boxes (to pollinate their special "hippy" plants, of course).
I was stung a lot. I mean, a lot! None of my kids have ever been stung in their lives, as far as I can recall... but me? Ohhh no, my yard was "bee central".

Of course, this radio would actually make "music honey", because it would lay it on really thick and sappy!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Goto the gallery there a lot views of these crazzy bees!
http://moi3d.com/gallery/
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Pilou!

Gallery entries here: [Standard - Orange/Black] [Deluxe - Charcoal/Iridescent Green]

Eventually, I would like to post the .3dm file. But maybe a simplified teaser version. This file is 300 megs!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5450.12 In reply to 5450.11 
Hi Mike, 3DM compresses very well with WinRAR ... 50mb = approx 5mb, but that would still have your model at about 30mb - lol

All the best

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5450.13 In reply to 5450.11 
Very cool Mike...

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
VEry nice work. Just curious how long it took...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5450.15 In reply to 5450.14 
Thanks Sebastian!

The main model took about a half an hour of free time everyday, for a little over a month. "free time" is such a relative thing.

The rendering process took another month!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5450.16 In reply to 5450.15 
Nice model Mike!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
While working on another cool project, I thought I'd let a few more views of my 'BeeBox' model render.
I tried "Grasshopper Green" for the exterior color.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Spring fields :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's insane! I wish I had 1/10 your abilities with MoI.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-24