Carvewright Flower Frame

Next
Practicing using the video tutorial resources linked to this site and was watching the flower frame tut by Carvewright. It does not seem to have audio and a bit difficult to follow with some of the action going off-screen. Any recommendations for learning more about what he is doing and how especially the part where he forms the circular flower pattern to the concave surface of the ceiling center?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8046.2 In reply to 8046.1 
Hi Timouthy, can you post the link to the video and also if you know what time the part you're asking about it would be good to mention that as well, that would help to make sure I'm looking at the same thing.

From your description though my guess would be that's using the Transform > Deform > Flow command : http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8046.3 In reply to 8046.2 
Michael,

The link is below. I really liked doing the flowers because it will have use in our architectural ornamentation business hopefully sooner than later.

My manager is impressed I think with the way I can use it for some simple work so far such as oval domed ceilings.

Plus it has helped him confirm his suspicions on certain curved profiles and moulding at intricate intersections.

From 6:30 to 7:10 on the video I am baffled since Carvewright mirrors the profile for a reason unknown to me and uses it for some purpose.

I have slowed down the video but am still baffled.

Beyond 7:10 I am a bit less than baffled but would like to know more about what Carvewright is doing there as well.

The Deform command I have tried only thru experimentation and will explore more now that I can see what it can do.

Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxTJSFKxlro
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8046.4 In reply to 8046.3 
""""""""""From 6:30 to 7:10 on the video I am baffled since Carvewright mirrors the profile for a reason unknown to me and uses it for some purpose."""""""""

At that point he is trying to "sweep" the profile he made around the 2 circular arcs. With the sweep command, it has an auto placement and orientation that it does. Notice he sweeps the profile, then gets a result that he wants flipped the other way. So he "mirrors" the profile, basically reversing it, then does the sweep again and gets the result he wanted (the direction and orientation of the sweep result flipped)...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8046.5 In reply to 8046.4 
After the sweep is done, he hides all the curves he used to create it to get them out of the way.

Then he seperates his swept surface which is a solid so he can do the next command on just a single surface (actually doesn't need that part as the flow command will allow separate surface selection)

then he flows the flowers to the inner surface of his original sweep.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8046.6 In reply to 8046.3 
Thanks for the explanations, Burr!

Tim please let me know if you need any more information.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8046.7 In reply to 8046.3 
He mirrors it because the first time he applied it (6:20) it put the fat part on the inside, when he wanted it on the outside. By mirroring the curve, he's able to reverse the order in which it's applied to the rail sweep.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks to all gentlemen.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
And with a little bit of practice comes results.

Again thank to all of the response.
Image Attachments:
Size: 260.5 KB, Downloaded: 61 times, Dimensions: 769x370px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All