Lines shown on sweeps

Next
Good Evening, all...

There are a number of lines crossing my two rail sweeps. Is there any way to remove these lines or turn them off? Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3910.2 In reply to 3910.1 
The "lines" being seam edges of individual surfaces...??? THis is caused by having "corner points" in your rails. You can see these if you run seperate on your rail and it breaks into segments that match the surfaces created from the sweep.... You can get rid os them in a couple ways, like turning on control points and deleteing the points at these areas (While it is a joined curve). You can also run rebuild on the rails to get rid of them...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3910.3 In reply to 3910.2 
Thanks, Burrman...
Yes, the points that radiate across the rails are the locations of my various line segments and arcs. I'll run rebuild when I've finished changing the rail segments and I've finalized the design. Regards
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3910.4 In reply to 3910.3 
Hi Bob,

Just to add to this, is there any particular reason why those surface lines are a concern? If the sweep surfaces are tangent to each other those surface lines won't affect anything down the track, they won't show up in rendering and will not affect any post processing like 3d printing or cnc machining, this is normal in nurbs modeling, on the other hand if the surface to surface continuity is not tangent then yes, Burr has the answer to correct this, as they will show up in rendering etc. as a kink or imperfection.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3910.5 In reply to 3910.1 
Hi Bob, yes like Burr mentions if you have profile curves that are made up of multiple segments (like with lines and arcs as you are mentioning), then when you create surfaces from such things it will generate 1 surface face for each segment.

But that's not an error, that's a normal result.

Could you please post your 3DM model file with the particular sweep and profile curves in it so that we could take a look and give you some more advice specific to your particular case?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Good Morning, all...

Thanks for all responses. I am attaching a work in progress. I am extremely excited about all that I've been able to do with MOI. Re: the sweep lines. During my build I must insure that my output results in a volume calculation between 8.9285 and 9.2000 cubic volume. I use the profile and sweep rails to fine tune the output to equal that volume, thus, they are broken up in line segments and arcs for minor changes. I was making sure that the lines shown would not affect the text I needed to add.

However, I do have a question. I need to be able to engrave text about 1/32" below the surface of the shanks shown. The names shown are raised and need to be depressed into the surface. Using a negative value does not work.

Regards...Bob
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3910.7 In reply to 3910.6 
Hi Bob,

That's strange that a negative value in the text thickness doesn't work for you, it works over here.
You can also move the letters at a distance by using Transform>Move then when you pick the base point hit the TAB key,
this will highlight the numerical read out area at the bottom of the window and there you can type a desired value, then when
you move your object it will move in any direction at that value.

Once your happy with the depth of the letters in the shank use Construct>Boolean>Diff (difference) to make an 'impression' of those letters.

I've attached your model back with it set up ready for the Boolean operation and a copy after the command has been executed.
You'll notice that I also rotated the lettering to be parallel to the shank surface angle, I used the edit frame to do this, you can find out
more about the edit frame in the help files at the following link http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#editframe

P.S. The Letter 'H' wasn't a solid so I had to fix that up for Boolean to work properly.

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank You, Danny...

I will try again to use the negative value. I was trying to use -1/32" as the depth thinking that the baseline was 1/32" below the surface. I'll work on that one. I also have one other requirement. I must also widen the inside top of each character (draft) to allow for removal from casting sand. Chamfering or scaling, and selecting the appropriate font without sharp corners should take care of that. The font I typically use rounds off the extremities nicely. Thank You for taking the time to go through the process of engraving the text into the surface. When working exclusively in beechwood, I would have to send off a sheet of 3/16" beechwood and have all of the potential text engraved. I would then have to scroll saw the text into the master. Adding the text in 3D was the last step in the process before sending off the .stl file for 3D printing and off to the foundry.

I have frequently used the frame feature to rotate parts of the shoe, particularly the thumb calk that has to be made to fit the contour of the surface prior to attaching it.

Regards...Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3910.9 In reply to 3910.6 
""""""""""During my build I must insure that my output results in a volume calculation between 8.9285 and 9.2000 cubic volume. I use the profile and sweep rails to fine tune the output to equal that volume, thus, they are broken up in line segments and arcs for minor changes. """"""""""""""

Remember that there is a minor "history" available.. So in your 2 rail sweep, your can create a nice single segment for rails, then just after the sweep, turn on the points for the rails and move one.. You'll notice the sweep update... Maybe this can help in adjusting volume intil it is correct....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3910.10 In reply to 3910.9 
Thank You, BurrMan...

Was not aware of that feature. I'll give it a try in the future. Regards...Bob
  Reply Reply More Options