MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Boolean Union with Mirror'd solids

16 May 2021   [#1]
Hello,

I've been trying to get these this mirror'd solid to union into 1 solid to no avail. Any ideas?

Attachments:
moI_casing_nounion.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-05-17 121719.JPG 

16 May 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Is that what you want?

Attachments:
moI_casing_nounion_Modified.3dm

16 May 2021   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi dodeqaa, it looks like some of your surface have a little bit of a slant to them instead of being directly in line with a world axis.

For example this one here:

If I zoom in a bit on a side view I can see the surface, if it was tightly aligned with the mirror direction it would only show the edge from the side and not some of the surface as well:

So the problem that creates with the booleans is that it's difficult to intersect surfaces that are barely grazing each other with overlapping surface areas.

= Michael

Image Attachments:
dodeqaa_union1.jpg  dodeqaa_union2.jpg 

16 May 2021   [#4] In reply to [#1]
So one way that will work for your case here is to draw a line down the y axis and use boolean difference to cut the 2 solids with that centerline and discard the pieces in the middle.

You should then be able to boolean union the 2 remaining pieces together. That helps because it avoids trying to generate an intersection between 2 surfaces that are just barely skimming over each other's surface area but slightly off.

- Michael
17 May 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Dear Michael I have got a question.

After creating an object using commands loft, swipe, network, etc; control points are gone?

I mean when user presses "show points" he/she would not be able to see any points?

Is it possible to see some points after creating objects using those commands? (Like when you create a box and u still able to see its corner points after it's creation)
17 May 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Psygorn, some info on control points in the FAQ here:
http://moi3d.com/faq#Q:_Why_does_show_points_work_for_some_objects_but_not_others.3F

A box is a special case where every edge in it is a natural edge of the underlying surface and that's why you can see points on it. When an object has a joined edge that is not a natural edge of the underlying surface then that's when you won't be able to show points since if you moved some points you would pull open a hole in what is supposed to be a joined edge. To turn on points in that case you need to use Edit > Separate to break pieces out into individual surfaces. You can always show control points for a single surface that is not joined to anything.

- Michael
18 May 2021   [#7]
Hello Psygorn and Michael,

Psygorn: That is exactly it! Thank you for taking the time to fix it. I appreciate it,

Michael: Thanks for the in depth response. I didn't see that the plane was skewed, and now I know how to check it with the orthographic views and zoom.