Anyone have problems with 3d connexion devices in MOI? zoom vs rotate sensitivity is weird

Next
Hi Michael and fellow MOI users,

I finally got MOI to sit well with my system and I'm about half way in my trail. So far things seem pretty good!

I had 2 issues though. First, I heavily rely on a 3d connexion space mouse enterprise. I really like the calibration and sensitivity it has in Autodesk apps, but for some reason in MOI the zoom sensitivity is a lot slower / slows down vs the rotate/tilt sensitivity. Is this a driver issue? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I've tried tweaking the zoom settings in MOI and in 3D connexion's app. Help a little but it's weird. I have a similar issue with MODO also.

The other issue is a modeling question mainly. MOI can really chug if you do ask it to chamfer too many edges at once, or ask ti to cut like 500 holes in a honeycomb pattern into a cylinder. Are there more efficient ways to approach this while quickly moving along with my work?

*I can post a file soon*
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8394.2 In reply to 8394.1 
Hi Deepak, for the zoom sensitivity, do you see it only in a 3D perspective view, or does it also behave like that in one of the 2D Top/Front/Right views as well?

re: Chamfer performance, well certainly 500 holes is a lot, it's going to be normal that it's going to take some time to process a tremendously complex operation like that. How long is it taking to complete?

If your result has rotational symmetry around the cylinder, it could be possible to do only a small area and replicate the rest using Transform > Array > Circular, that can be faster.

Also another approach is to do your pattern on a flat plane which can also be easier to do with a tiled method, then apply it onto the cylinder using Transform > Deform > Flow: http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8394.3 In reply to 8394.2 
Hey Michael,

Been busy trying to get ready for school, apologies for the late reply. MOI seems great, I'm trying to get up to speed and use it for hard surface concept design classes in a week.

If it's okay, I can post my questions here in a single thread as they come up..

re: 3D mouse, yeah the zoom sensitivity changes in the perspective view only I think. Sometimes it zooms in veryyyy slowly sometimes its hyper sentive. I would like it to zoom in at a constant speed no matter how far or close I am to the object if possible?

I'm using a Space Mouse Enterprise with the latest driver. I'm not sure why this is the case, and particularly why the zoom sensitivity is so vastly different and constantly varies compared to tilt, roll, or rotate, even when all the sensitivity levels are set equally in both MOI and in the 3d connexion app settings?

If there is something I can adjust or change that would be nice. It makes it really difficult to zoom in on small details of a model.

-Also, in their autodesk integration ctrl+mmb on the model pins the rotation pivot of the comera onto that exact place on the model's surface. Is this possible in MOI some how, even with regular rotation? This would allow for easier access to tight places inside a model.

___
re: Chamfer performance, it seems I just have to learn how to work with nurbs better. The same operation in Fusion is very laggy also. I will have to better aquaint myself with flow. The operation just times out for the most part, even if I let it run for hours on end. I was trying to make holes in the attached image below

___
In MOI3d, is there a way to scale multiple objects from each objects respective center? Say you have an arrangements of circles, I'd like to scale each circle's diameter in the arrangement without changing each circles center point. Is this possible?

I have the scale array script but that requires me to use array, which I don't want to do all of the time.

Thanks!
Deepak

EDITED: 12 May 2017 by DIVE

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8394.4 In reply to 8394.3 
Hi Deepak,

> I would like it to zoom in at a constant speed no matter how far or close I am to the object if possible?

Unfortunately it's difficult to do that with a perspective view because of foreshortening - areas of the object that are closer to the eyepoint are larger on the screen than areas that are further away.

But if you set the 3D view to have a parallel projection instead of a perspective projection, that should make for much more uniform zooming behavior. You can do that under Options > View > "3D view projection". If you want that to be the default when you start up MoI, make a 3DM file with its 3D view projection set to parallel and set that as the startup template file under Options > General > Template file.

> -Also, in their autodesk integration ctrl+mmb on the model pins the rotation pivot of the comera
> onto that exact place on the model's surface. Is this possible in MOI some how, even with regular
> rotation? This would allow for easier access to tight places inside a model.

To do this in MoI, use the "Zoom area" button that's on the toolbar on the bottom of viewports. That will let you snap on a point for the center of the zoom window, and that point will become the new rotation pivot point.

> I was trying to make holes in the attached image below

It can be better to make small details like that with texture mapping in your rendering program instead of modeling the geometry directly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All