ICONS - GUI Closed
 1-9  10-29  30-41

Previous
Next
8236.10 In reply to 8236.8 
Hi Ced,

re:
> just wanted a floating toolbar without the RIGORMORTIS of the mainPain which stays FIXED
> on the WRONG SIDE. I'm left handed. :)

There's an option to change the side pane to go on the left side under Options > General > "Side pane position". Set that to "Side pane position: Left".

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Is there a 'program' or software I can get to design a couple floating toolBars for all my fav scripts? I so want to have all my fav script ICONS handy - and really - the WEB look isn't great - with all that baggage sliderThing malingering around the edges like fungus. It would be wonderful to be able to download all the scripts in ONE BAG - and UNZIP into the COMMAND/UI/ICON folders and POOF! You'd have the option of CTRL+POW and up would pop your customized FLOATING TOOLBARS w/ICONS and you could place them wherever is convenient - all your MOST USEFUL scripts - near your work area - and of course, slide the icons around within the toolBars so you always had them RIGHT WHERE YOU WANT THEM without having to fly 16 hours in economy to move your cursor from Moi's east coast to China!

I didn't design icons here - they're placeHolders.

Example:

Attachments:

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.12 In reply to 8236.11 
Hi Ced, how many scripts are you going to actually be using? Many of them are pretty specialized for a specific person's problem and not really something that are used on a regular basis.

You'd probably be best off with installing the CustomUI extension from here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6507.1 - that will add a button on the bottom toolbar that pops up a menu with your additional scripts on it. It's far better to have scripts which are only going to be used occasionally on a menu like that rather than having a hundred buttons which are not frequently used cluttering up the top level of the UI.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I've been combing through the Moi Discussion Forum like a Racoon going through a dumpster - snatching scripts and whatever juicy tidbits I can find and stuffing them in - I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Is there any hope that we could purchase a Moi already setup with all this stuffing ALREADY INSTALLED?

If not - is there a possibility I can go after a RESELLER license and sell a version of Moi that ALREADY HAS all the WHISTLES & BELLS as well as the COOL NIGHTSTALKER GUI?

It is time consuming to FISH through the Forum Pond trying to find these gold nuggets - and then one-by-one installing them, thinking up myriad shortcut commands - etc., and my hair turned white.

What you need is a version that caters to artists with narcissistic tendencies or narcissistic personality disorder - there's a huge market out there for that.

Cheers,

Attachments:

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.14 In reply to 8236.13 
Hi Ced,

> Is there any hope that we could purchase a Moi already setup with all this
> stuffing ALREADY INSTALLED?

Yes, eventually. In the future I do want to make a plug-in browser that will make it easier to find and install plug-ins.

> If not - is there a possibility I can go after a RESELLER license and sell a version of Moi that ALREADY
> HAS all the WHISTLES & BELLS as well as the COOL NIGHTSTALKER GUI?

No, I think that could be confusing for people to have too many versions available. But in the future I do also want to also have a dark theme that would be bundled with the standard MoI install so you could switch between a couple of different UI themes.

I'm not exactly sure when these things will happen though, I have a lot more basic stuff than that which is higher priority currently.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.15 In reply to 8236.13 
Burr's two lists of Scripts and Commands, as 9 Feb 2016:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7841.6

Almost the 1 year anniversary, time for an update? Hint Hint.

- Brian

EDITED: 7 Jan 2017 by BEMFARMER

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.16 In reply to 8236.15 
Hey Brian,

""""""""""""""Almost the 1 year anniversary, time for an update?""""""""""""""""""

Wow, time flies!

I was able to keep a distant eye on things and that list remains fairly comprehensive back to around 10 years.

Its just messy. If it were categorized and documented well, it would fit well into something like this:

For me I think waiting for Michaels solution to a repository is what I'll wait for though....

I only have a couple weeks left before I am back to being a constant eyesore!!!
Attachments:

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes! This is what's needed - a ZIP download of all the WHISTLES & BELLS to add the gravy train to the Moi Mix! Getting all the gold nuggets off this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack! And then you are required to read through reams & reams of unintelligible drivel to find the ultimate warrior - the latest-greatest updated node - script - and after that - download each file - navigate to the commands folder - unzip la-te-da - x 50x... (yawn) and finally - at the end of the day you have Moi Plus!

Why not simplify the process for the proletarians, the sloggers?

Make one nice big fat 5# round 1940's silverscreen early depression ZIP FILE with all 10#'s of add-on scripts in it? and POOF! Done!

The lazy man's way to Moi Fat Man!

In fact - I'd be willing to PAY for that, why don't all of us contribute to the package for Michael to sell? Charge 9.99 USD for the file - and VOILA!

Myself? I'd be thrilled to make some ICONS and suggestions for the GUI interface design-skinz.
Cheers,
Cedrique Le Magnifique

Attachments:

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.18 In reply to 8236.17 
Hi Ced,

> Why not simplify the process for the proletarians, the sloggers?

That is something I'd like to do in the future - I'd like to make a script browser that you could open from within MoI which would make it easier to find and install scripts. So at some point it should be a simpler process.

Most scripts though are special purpose things that were developed to help someone with a particular problem and aren't really helpful for regular use.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, can you make a repository where people can upload them (scripts)? Some kind of 'dropBox' where they can be downloaded and installed in one swell-foop?

In fact - if you had a 'sign-off' document - everyone could throw stuff into the pile - sign off on it - and you could sell the ADD-ON download for the 'fat-boy' Moi3d zip download for 9.99 which would be considered (I think) the community contribution towards supporting development - I doubt I'm the only one on board who would like to participate in your project.

Besides - that. I have a little difficulty moving objects into folders ha-ha. I want to HIGHLIGHT an object(s) and CHANGE FOLDER or COPY TO FOLDER - or click&drag to the sidebar - into the folder -
What do you say?

Below is the GUI to die for~ and I understand it has a worldwide, royalty-free non-exclusive license so it can be posted here. http://customize.org/site/agreement
From this website http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/65675085

Cheers,
Cederique Le Magnifique

EDITED: 13 Jan 2017 by FRACTIONALIST

Image Attachments:
Size: 1.3 MB, Downloaded: 80 times, Dimensions: 1920x1040px
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.20 In reply to 8236.19 
Hi Ced,

> Michael, can you make a repository where people can upload them (scripts)? Some kind of 'dropBox'
> where they can be downloaded and installed in one swell-foop?

Yes, in the future I do want to make a script browser to make it easier to browse and install scripts as I think I've mentioned before. Part of that would involve making an online storage site that would contain the scripts. I wouldn't expect for it to install 300 scripts with one button press though, you could go find ones that would be useful to you and install those particular ones. There will be quite a bit of work involved in implementing this and so I'm not exactly sure when it will get done, it's not a high priority at the moment.

> Besides - that. I have a little difficulty moving objects into folders ha-ha. I want to
> HIGHLIGHT an object(s) and CHANGE FOLDER or COPY TO FOLDER - or click&drag to
> the sidebar - into the folder -
> What do you say?

Well, MoI doesn't have anything named "Folders" in it as of yet, are you talking about styles here? You can already use the Scene Browser to assign selected objects to a style by clicking on the color swatch.

> Below is the GUI to die for

It's very nice to look at but certainly not at all appropriate for MoI - MoI is focused on being an efficient tool, it's much better if MoI's own UI does not draw excessive attention to itself with so much extraneous ornamentation like that. Something like that would be great for a game instead of a productivity oriented app like MoI.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael,
Make a COPY & PASTE style input page - on the forum - or under a separate folder 'PIGPEN' where you could muddy up the interface with DEVIANT SCRIPTS without all the hassle to multiple copy & paste.

I've never copied ^ pasted so much in my whole life - I've been through a gallon of Ben & Jerry's White Supreme Creme dealing with this! I can't go on! Cruel world...
Anastasia Quackenbush
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.22 In reply to 8236.21 
Hi Ced, usually when I make a script for someone it's to help them with a particular problem, and I don't really want to do any other steps like posting them somewhere else at least not until some future time when I've got some process set up for a script repository. Why is it that you're trying to install so many scripts in the first place?

If the copy and pasting is so troublesome, I'd recommend to just not worry about installing so many scripts at this time most of which you're most likely not going to be using anyway. Instead, if you run into a problem with your work and you think some script might help, post a question about your particular problem at hand and what you're trying to do and then I or someone else can look up any existing script for you and tell you where to go to get it if you are unable to locate it by the search function yourself.

Eventually I do expect to make a better process for browsing and installing scripts. At the moment it's not a focus area though.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ha-ha! "Why do I install so many specialized scripts?"

ANS: Because I draw extremely complex natural organic shapes - mingled with a touch of M.C. Escher - SteamPunk - Gothic - Medieval - Industrial - Early Depression Art themes, and I need the parametric - terrazo - squishy - reverse matrix - chaos theory symmetry found at the base of a naked Oak Tree - in the leaf patterns below - not to mention the textures, light & dirt... therein.

Therefore - the more tools I have in my toolbox to perform a surgical procedure the better!

Furthermore - as far as eyes? Nothing is more restful than BLACK & shades of grey - whereas the pale-greenish-white yellowish interface that is standard fare resembles (to me) mashed potatoes served in a Super Max - with maggots for ICONS.

No need to feel insulted, I understand you're a wizard of sorts - or an engineer - and nature gave you a lobotomy on the art neurons - whereas those very same art-neurons in my head are hybrids - cloned with narcissist superbugs and virulent eye socketry that see's, uh, differently than what programmers have. I look like a christmas tree compared to a programmer, like perhaps Bill Gates, who looks like a burnt match stick in my view when it comes to art. However, Gates afforded himself a bonafide copy of Leonardo daVinci's sketches - so something is to be said for his taste in art.

I needed a relaxing black interface - with myriad tools - in order to be limitless.
Cheers - in hopes my dry humor won't be banned outright too soon - although honestly though I might sound snotty - I'm not. It just seems weird that there are so many cool scripts mingled into this forum - like gold nuggets - and they are hidden.

I see so many ways to make the GUI striking - and the software loaded like a nest of yellow jackets - and I want it that way. I'm creating just that - however - it's more difficult than necessary - and I wonder why -
Marmaduke Lambert III
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.24 In reply to 8236.23 
Hi Ced, re: "extremely complex natural organic shapes" - MoI is just not designed to do that type of job, it's focused on making it very quick and easy to do simple man made mechanical types of shapes. I'd guess this may be fundamentally why you're trying to find all these other kinds of scripts that are not prepackaged with MoI, but you'd probably be better off using a tool that is more in line with the type of work that you're trying to do.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.25 In reply to 8236.23 
re:

> I see so many ways to make the GUI striking - and the software loaded like a
> nest of yellow jackets - and I want it that way. I'm creating just that - however
> - it's more difficult than necessary - and I wonder why -

Well, MoI is fundamentally intended to be easy to use and have a light and streamlined workflow and UI. The concept of "loaded like a nest of yellow jackets" is pretty much exactly opposite of those goals, so that's the reason why.

There are already other programs out there that cater to the "loaded like a nest of yellow jackets" type of design, but a lot of people find the complexity that goes along with that has a lot of negative side effects like being hard to learn for example. The reason why MoI exists is to provide a counterpoint to that, to make a CAD tool that puts accessibility as a fundamental target.

Now of course you're certainly welcome to use MoI in other ways than what it was designed for, and I've made things quite flexible so that it's possible to modify MoI in many ways to suit your needs, but still the simple answer to why it isn't set up the way you want is that it's designed with different goals than what you have.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes & no. People customize 'normal' motorcycles into monsters - and the EASE OF USE and SENSIBILITY which is inherent in Moi3d is incomparable to other CAD software - e.g., Blender is a nightmare, ProEng is a complete disaster (for my purposes), and I intensely 'dis' CLOUD based lease programs - so Moi3d is the 'sweet spot' - it's sensible - easy to use - easy to learn - and it's lightening fast to work within - however - it's a NAKED MAJA in my view.

Therefore - adding the ornaments is like decorating a tree - or customizing a motorcycle - turning Moi3d into a hotrod!

I'm accomplishing that task - it just seems apparent that if there were a REPOSITORY where all these scripts were - and would UNZIP into the COMMANDS FOLDER - why not?

Why not even get people to sign a release and sell them? I'd throw some GUI SKINS & ICONS into the bag -
Cheers,
Vlad the Impaler
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8236.27 In reply to 8236.26 
Hi Ced,

> it just seems apparent that if there were a REPOSITORY where all these scripts were - and
> would UNZIP into the COMMANDS FOLDER - why not?

Well as I've said seemingly over and over again, that is indeed something I want to add in to MoI. It just has not happened yet because other things are higher priority. The reason why it is not a very high priority is because (again as I explained above) the "loaded like a nest of yellow jackets" type of concept is not what MoI is fundamentally aimed at. Things that align more closely with MoI's main design goals just come first.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I am unsure of issues regarding the distinction between commercial and open source, but some unofficial scripts might have "open source" code
with various "license" types... (?)
- Brian
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Other than the godrays piling through the clouds, I'm particularly not fond of that interface. I guess it does harken back to a time when game interfaces and skeuomorphic interfaces were all the rage (I've certainly seen and designed my share of them!).

Frankly, the MoI3D interface is clearly defined by design to be simple, friendly, unassuming and approachable. So is the logo and brand. It's not meant to be Gigantor Enterprises, but rather a lifestyle company with best-in-class customer support and superior ease-of-use. If that's the correct brand message-- it's coming through loud and clear.

For those interested in more complex interfaces, there are plenty to choose from. If the requirement is lots of organic capabilities, I might suggest 3D Coat. It's a huge program with a steep learning curve with which you can build just about anything...as long as it's not supposed to be part of a CAD file somewhere.

I applaud Michael's design sensibilities and focus on simplicity. As one who has just recently switched from Mac to PC, and then tried to work in Powerpoint having worked the past years in Keynote, I can attest to Michael's "simpler is better" rule when it comes to interface design. Ugh! The ribbon interface is just HORRIBLE!
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Show messages:  1-9  10-29  30-41