OBJ crash

Next
Just tries to import veeeery big OBJ file nad received a message
"Crash - module load error.
One of Moi's installed DLL files was not found, see if your virus checker removed some partsof Moi's installation or try a reinstall"
Is it reall a problem with DLL or Moi just cant import high-polygon OBJ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8229.2 In reply to 8229.1 
Hi glmr, MoI doesn't include an OBJ reader by default, only an exporter. That's because it doesn't work well to have a NURBS object made up of a very high number of little tiny polygon fragments. NURBS models are designed to have surfaces made up of larger smooth sheets that have trim curves on them, not little facets.

You need to use a polygon modeling program to handle dense polygon objects, that type of structure just does not fit well in a NURBS modeling program, the overhead for maintaining all the trimming information tends to balloon the memory required by quite a lot as compared to a polygon modeling program for this particular kind of data. Polygon modeling programs can handle that type of faceted structure with less overhead.

That "module load error" exception is emitted by the VisualC++ delayed DLL loader when a DLL file was not able to be loaded, the reason it mentions the virus checker in that MoI error dialog is because I've seen it before where the virus checker just deleted a dll and so it couldn't be found. But in your case it's probably that there was no more available 32-bit memory in the address space.

> Is it reall a problem with DLL or Moi just cant import high-polygon OBJ?

It's that an object structured out of a dense number of little polygons does not translate well into a NURBS object, you should use a polygon modeling program for that kind of data, not MoI.

But it's probably not a dll problem, it's probably an out of memory problem.

- Michael

EDITED: 21 Dec 2016 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
IIRC, There was an old OBJ import script written by Michael which imported LINES without trying to create faces. I *think* it might import faster than Max's script.

I found this to be preferred when importing a poly model (I do poly reduction for large poly files) to MoI3D and then it's pretty easy to use the lines as guides for rebuilding the model in MoI3D. I've used this successfully on several occasions.

More info here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7199.3

Shows an example of the workflow:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8229.4 In reply to 8229.3 
Thank your very much Chipp for this latest sharing!

Best,

- Marco (mkdm)

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All