Tiny fillets on inset detail
All  1-2  3-14

Previous
Next
8049.3 In reply to 8049.1 
Hi Branden, or also if you include that front edge to be filleted and then enable the "Straight corners" checkbox in the fillet options (which tries to intersect fillets directly with each other instead of building corner patches), you will get a more complete fragment and you can see where the filleter is failing, it's not able to get this area here:

To use this partial result, you'll accept the fillet partial result, select it and use Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard, then undo to restore your main object, then delete the inset faces, then Ctrl+V to paste in the partial result. Then the tricky part is to get the corners filled in with pieces that will make it possible to trim the excess area of the main surface by the fillet piece.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8049.4 In reply to 8049.1 
Hi Branden, ok now I think I see a little more clearly where the problem area is - it is related to the sharp angles, the corner patch over in this area is twisting awkwardly:

In this particular case it's able to build that result better though if you extract just those faces into their own separate object that is not a solid, like in the attached file. In this version you should be able to make a complete selection like this:

Then it will make the fillets but if you zoom in to those corner areas shown above you'll see those corners are malformed and strangely swoopy so it needs some tweaking in those areas but the other areas seem to be ok.

EDIT: forgot to attach 3DM file, attached now.

- Michael

EDITED: 1 Aug 2016 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8049.5 In reply to 8049.1 
Hi Branden, so once you do the fillet on the non-solid object in the 3DM file from the post above, the cleanup goes something like this:

Select and delete the weird lumpy corner:

Now this fillet needs to be trimmed better:

To untrim and retrim it start by selecting it and run Edit > Separate on it to break it out into its own individual surface not joined to the others anymore. Then select that lumpy edge at the end and do Ctrl+A to select all of its edges and then hit Delete to remove the current trimming boundary and recover the full underlying fillet surface. Note that the full fillet sticks out a ways past the other end as well.

So after the untrim you've got something that looks like this:

Switch to the Back view and draw in a curve like this (use tangent snap on the second point, and drag out a tangent construction line on the second-to-last point so the curve is tangent on either side):

Then trim the fillet with that curve, so you have this:

Then join those surrounding pieces together (also the other end of the fillet needs to be trimmed back also), then you can put a Network into this better shaped hole.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, thanks so much! Two things I learned here: the fillet command has a better success rate with on a portion of the surface if it's separated from the rest of a detailed solid/surface. It never occurred to me to cut out that portion of the surface and try running the fillet on those areas. I also had no idea that you could untrim a surface like that. That will come in very handy!

Using your approach, I'm getting much nicer results now. The only question I have is this: is the network tool in this case attempting to create a tangent blend with the surrounding surface? My guess is it's not. Even still, the results are looking really nice. Thanks again!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Is this an acceptable result? It takes a little thinking in reverse but involves less steps than manual trimming and blending. I can do a video on it if you like.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8049.8 In reply to 8049.6 
Hi Branden, no problem I'm glad that looks like it should work for you.

re:
> Two things I learned here: the fillet command has a better success rate with on a
> portion of the surface if it's separated from the rest of a detailed solid/surface.

It's probably not going to always be a better success rate, but if I remember right what happens is if the object started out as a solid and after the fillet it isn't a solid anymore, it tries to do it again with a tightened up tolerance in the hope that will help getting pieces to align with each other better. But in this particular case here it ends up being worse when that happens.

> The only question I have is this: is the network tool in this case attempting to create a tangent
> blend with the surrounding surface? My guess is it's not.

No, it's not doing any special work to guarantee that it's tangent but with all the edges being tangent it's going to be extremely close.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, thanks for that explanation!

Cheers,
Branden
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8049.10 In reply to 8049.7 
OSTexo, Looks great to me. I'd love to hear how your approach differs from the one Michael detailed.

Cheers,
Branden
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Sorry for the delay, here is the video:

https://vimeo.com/179994341
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Enlighting!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8049.13 In reply to 8049.12 
Clever technique!

Mik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks for sharing! Very nice. I liked the one about chamfers as well!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-14