My MoI3D Workflow Shortcuts

Next
Had a number of comments I work too fast in some videos and folks would like to better understand my workflow and the shortcuts I use. I use Camtasia for Mac to record videos, and it won't record many of the key presses as I work, so I typically don't show keypresses in my tutorials. So, I decided to create a tutorial going over the most often used workflow shortcuts and then hand edit to show the keys as they are pressed. Please forgive if not all the keys pressed are demo'ed. The important ones are.

Also, apologies as this is my longest video to date, a bit over 30 minutes. Don't exactly know where to cut back anymore than I did.

Here's a link to my moi.ini file as mentioned in the video.

And here's the video. Comments welcome. And.. if I'm missing anything or getting anything wrong, please let me know!

Also, thanks to everyone who has contributed scripts or helped solve workflow issues!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.2 In reply to 7695.1 
Hi Chipp,

very good setup, I didn't know some of things, so I will implement them in my workflow. Also thanks for the ini file.

As a Maya user, I'm customizing my shortcuts mostly to Maya and it's nice that I'm not confused when going back and forth :).
Also when I have to used a lot of programs, it's nice I don't have to remember tons of keys more.

Great vid, thanks.
Vojtěch
https://vojtisek.artstation.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Cool showcase of possibilities of Moi customize use!

Shortcuts are good for training memory! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Excellent video Chip. Thank you very much for INI file (I also set my shortcuts close to LW settings ;)).

Is there way to get same GUI look as yours ? I've made mine very close but i cant' get rid of that middle line between view-ports to go darker/change color.

Thanks

Lewis
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.5 In reply to 7695.4 
Hi Lewis,

Here's a link to the post which has the image you are looking for:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7245.3
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.6 In reply to 7695.5 
Ex lw, current modo user here ... and as a result my shortcut key list is nearly the same as yours chip ! :)
... but you have some really clever script I need to steal, so thanks for sharing !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.7 In reply to 7695.6 
You're most welcome :-) Glad they could be of service.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
YES, that was it, thanks Chip :).

Lewis
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.9 In reply to 7695.1 
Thanks for the video Chipp. I've subscribed to your Youtube channel too - although watching your videos made me say WTF!? even more often than I say it while coding :)
But that's due to my noobness and will change over time.
I have one question though. How did you get the nice effect on your selected objects (not the shading style you selected at the bottom at some point) but the "default" one with the highlight on some faces.

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.11 In reply to 7695.1 
thank you ,chippwalters,I have a big problem,when I install your moi.ini file ,I open moi3d,the shortcuts are working ,but the shift +F6 and shitf + P has bug that make my screen white ,what’s more,when I try to create a box or curve,their edges become too thick?how to fix this?I uninstalled the moi3d,reinstall moi3d,and restart my PC,but the problem still happen. Hope you can help me .
yytssln
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.12 In reply to 7695.11 
Hi yytssln,

I am not sure what the nature of the problem is, but I just wanted to point out that moi has changed a bit during the last 5 years, so that could maybe create issues with an old moi.ini.

Chipp is awesome btw :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7695.13 In reply to 7695.12 
thanks ,I know how to fix this,just go to the option----veiw,click the restore defaults button,choose the current section only,ok.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7695.14 In reply to 7695.11 
Hi yytssln, it looks like both Shift+F6 and Shift+P are duplicates of each other there.

I tested the script over here and it seems to be working ok for me.

I suspect that maybe your video card does not support rendering to that high of a resolution image and so the viewport .render() method is throwing an exception which the script is not expecting. When that happens the cleanup step (where the script restores viewport properties that it modified before making the screenshot image) does not happen.

Try putting in this updated version:

script: /* Save to PNG */ var vp = moi.ui.getLastClickedViewport(); if (!vp) { vp = moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.getViewport('3D'); } var filename = moi.filesystem.GetSaveFileName( 'Save', ' (*.png)|*.png' ); var st = [], settings = ["view.viewportBackgroundColor", "view.lineWidth", "grid.display", "grid.showXYAxes", "view.showAxisIcon", "view.meshAngle"]; for (var sv in settings) { st.push(moi[settings[sv].split('.')[0]][settings[sv].split('.')[1]] ); } moi.view.viewportBackgroundColor = 0xFFFFFF; moi.view.lineWidth = 3; moi.grid.display = false; moi.grid.showXYAxes = false; moi.view.showAxisIcon = false; moi.view.meshAngle = 3; try { vp.render( 4000, 2500 ).save(filename); } catch(e){} for (var sv in settings) { moi[settings[sv].split('.')[0]][settings[sv].split('.')[1]] = st.shift(); }

I think this version should now tolerate the viewport .render() method possibly failing.

But probably to get an image actually generated you'll have to modify the vp.render( 4000, 2500 ) to a lower resolution than 4000x2500, for your particular video card's limits.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All