Thicken outer surface

Next
Hi,

I have created this object (it is an adapther for the Microsoft Sculpt Mouse) since I wanted to incline it a bit more.

The object is made of three parts. When I tried to 3d print the bottom part, I noticed that one wall is very thin and it is discarded by the slicer (3d printing preparation).

I wanted to "thicken" the outer surface and my idea was to use the sell command.

It creates another surface but this new one is broken badly and I can't "attach" it back to the main object. I tried to merge the outline but it won't work. Also tried to select all bits of it and use "planar" with the main object. Blend woudn't work either.

I am glad for any ideas.

Thanks,
Stefan

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
sell = shell ?
:-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

The top edge is racked a bit by .0085mm, that is probably why you are unable to get this to work.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7653.4 In reply to 7653.3 
What do you mean with "racked"? If you mean the irregularities - then this must be a rendering issue. The outer edge should be straight/smooth.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7653.5 In reply to 7653.1 
Hi Stefan - when you do Shell with a face selected, MoI will try to thicken all the other faces in the object but leave the selected one to be not offset so that it forms a opening there. See here for some examples:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#shell

It sounds like you do not want that particular kind of thickening - if you want to thicken the outer wall you could select it and then run Construct > Offset to build an offset surface from the original, then delete the original outer face and use Construct> Planar to fill in the open areas.

There seems to be some difficulty with a couple of edges there though which is making building planar surfaces problematic, I'll take a look and try to see what is wrong.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello Nicolinux,

Some of your surfaces aren't planar so it will be difficult to Shell. I have attached a file where I just created the construction curves and used Boolean and Fillet. All that needs to be done to thicken the outside dimension is to determine how much of a wall thickness you would like and draw the offset curve and Extrude. Hope this helps.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7653.7 In reply to 7653.4 
Hi Stefan, are you set up ok now with the file OSTexo posted above? Or do you still need more help?

Please let me know if you are still stuck.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks for the help guys,

I think I am fine after I am able to understand what OSTexo did :)
Sorry for beeing such a noob...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All