MoI v4 beta?
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-68

Next
Hi Michael,

will there be a beta just like for previous versions once you're that far?

I'd love to give the 64bit functionality something to import... :D

What you see is what you believe - so don't. (from an Amiga500 demo)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.2 In reply to 7568.1 
Hi macray, yes there will definitely be a v4 beta once it is in good enough shape to do something useful.

Right now it still has a ways to go before it can do anything, I'm getting close to being done with the buttons UI and then I'll be working on porting geometry and viewport functions.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.3 In reply to 7568.2 
Hi Michael,

Could you give very rough time estimation of when v4 might be released?
I know it is hard to plan anything exactly but anything +/- a month or two would be good enough.
Beginning of 2016, mid 2016...?

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.4 In reply to 7568.3 
Hi keyi,

re:
> Could you give very rough time estimation of when v4 might be released?

I'm sorry but I just don't know right now. Any estimate that I would give right now would just be a wild guess and not much chance of being remotely accurate.

I'd say beginning of 2016 is not likely though for a release, it's still not even in beta release yet. It will need to be in beta release for at least 6 months or so probably before the final release would be ready.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.5 In reply to 7568.3 
judging from the time that it took from the first v3 beta to the final release I'd guess more like +/- 2018 for the final release.

but if Michael does it just like with v3 - the v4 betas will be pretty stable to use from the start once that there is one to play with.

What you see is what you believe - so don't. (from an Amiga500 demo)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Can we have this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKkdrnjyGg - Ironcad Boolean Feature Retention Technology) features like in MoI v4?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.7 In reply to 7568.6 
Seems with a little training you can make this pieces with Moi less 2 minutes without effort! Maybe one minute! ;)

PaQ makes this in 22 seconds from nothing! :) And me less 47 s with Sketchup (without plugins) :D
It was a very funny challenge! 2009
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1978.35

EDITED: 4 Sep 2015 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.8 In reply to 7568.6 
Hi loveart,

> Can we have this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKkdrnjyGg - Ironcad Boolean Feature
> Retention Technology) features like in MoI v4?

I do want to implement a history editing function in MoI in the future but I don't know when it will happen, maybe v4 or maybe in the future.

But the overall focus of MoI is more on generating things from 2D curves, not so much on moving 3D solids around as in that video, so something exactly like what you show in that video may not really be a fit for MoI.

I'm not entirely sure but that video seems like it may be a bit artifically skewed towards the IronCAD result, it's a little odd that there are things like callouts in the IronCAD part but not in the SolidWorks part, I think it's possible the SolidWorks operator there is not quite so familiar with it as the other user is with Ironcad.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.9 In reply to 7568.4 

http://moi3d.com/download.htm
Hi Michael,
Love the tutorials and the forum - the software is wonderfully refreshing - as opposed to all the clunky learning curves in your competition.

You've had version 3 out for awhile - I'm afraid to buy version 3 close to the release of v4 and then have to pay an upgrade soon after having just purchased v3. I'm afraid of buying the software & the upgrade back-to-back even though it's apparent the BETA isn't released yet - and you said it would be 6mo after that. Curious. Instead of doing this alone... why don't you open source this code and work on donations or subscriptions? Have you heard about http://www.patreon.com/

I use Rhino 5. I'm not clear that I can import 3dm in/out of Moi3d in 3dm format - and that they'll render OK in KeyShot 5.

Keep up the good work. Certainly seems like the most sensible program I've seen - ever - for 3d artist designing.
Thank you.
Ron

Ron
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.10 In reply to 7568.9 
Hi Ron,

I'm told 3dm works fine going from Rhino to MoI and back. There might be some issues with layers, but perhaps Michael can be more specific.
It's SUPERB going into KeyShot. I would recommend exporting as OBJs (not 3DM) for KeyShot as MoI3D has one of the finest meshers around-- in fact some NURBS people buy it just for the mesher.

Exporting as OBJ vs 3DM also allows for faster rendering and supports some features in KeyShot which spline rendering does not.

HTH
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.11 In reply to 7568.10 
http://www.patreon.com/ You know? I think Micheal should consider using Patreon subscriptions to generate income flow - and that would potentially enable him to hire help and move this along more quickly, what do you think? 2-3 years between versions seems a bit long - and v3 has been out for several years - I'm hesitant to buy v3 now, and then he produces the beta - followed by an upgrade soon after. What do you think? Actually what I'm looking for is a replacement for T-Splines 4 which is no longer being supported for Rhino - and I depend on that for organic shapes.

Thank you for the encouragement regarding 3dm & KeyShot.
Cheers -
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.12 In reply to 7568.11 
Hi Ced,

> You wrote "...Actually what I'm looking for is a replacement for T-Splines 4 which is no longer being supported for Rhino - and I depend on that for organic shapes. "

If that is your main need then I strongly suggest you to move to Autodesk Fusion 360 that include also T-SPlines.
Fusion 360 for the moment is free for hobbyist/enthusiasts.

> You wrote "...2-3 years between versions seems a bit long - and v3 has been out for several years..."

I disagree with you.
What really matters speaking about software in general and 3D modeler in particular is not the frequency of the upgrades,
but the overall consistency and quality and the more or less streamlined workflow of that particular software.
Also, speaking about 3D Nurbs modeler, there are only a very limited set of main commands/features.
It's mainly on that commands/features that is based the real quality and the "perceived" quality of a NURBS modeler.

And, from this point of view, IMHO Moi is second to none.

Best,

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.13 In reply to 7568.9 
Hi Ron, I've been undergoing a major rewrite for v4 which involves quite a lot of work and so there is going to be a longer than usual gap between these particular releases. The big rewrite part is getting pretty close to being finished though, so I hope to have a v4 beta in not too much longer maybe a few more months. Unfortunately it's hard to say exactly when it will be ready, anytime I guess at how long it will take it's always wrong.

Once the first v4 beta release is out, the beta period for v4 will begin and I'll be working on new features during the beta period and the final release will only come after that. So the final v4 release is still a ways out, again hard to say when maybe something like 8 months to a year and a half from now. But it's not imminent anyway.

> I'm afraid to buy version 3 close to the release of v4 and then have to pay an
> upgrade soon after having just purchased v3.

Well v4 is not exactly imminent and so there's no reason to be afraid of this right now. Also upgrade licenses are available at a big discount from the regular price. So even if you needed to get the upgrade I don't really understand why it's such a big issue to worry about?

> Instead of doing this alone... why don't you open source this code and work on
> donations or subscriptions?

There are several reasons, one big one is that I can't make the code open source because the geometry library that MoI uses is not open source itself. Other reasons are that I'd have to do a lot more "management" and administrative type of work if there were more people working on it and I don't like that type of work as much as coding and designing stuff myself.

I also don't really like the donation or subscription type models, I like to just keep things simple and having a regular simple permanent non subscription is the most simple for me. It's just a simple decision for a user - if it's useful for you, you can just buy it and I've kept the price to be unusually low as far as CAD programs go to make it affordable.

> I use Rhino 5. I'm not clear that I can import 3dm in/out of Moi3d in 3dm
> format - and that they'll render OK in KeyShot 5.

You would usually use OBJ format (with option for "Output: Quads & Triangles" set) to export from MoI to KeyShot, you can use .3dm to go back and forth between MoI and Rhino (and in fact you can just use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V copy paste to move things between MoI and Rhino), but if I remember right KeyShot may not be able to read a MoI 3DM in directly itself because it doesn't handle the NURBS objects in the 3DM file and only look for render meshes generated by Rhino. See here for more info on this: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5875.1

Hope this helps explain things!

- Michael

EDITED: 24 Dec 2016 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.14 In reply to 7568.11 
Hi Ced,

re:
> You know? I think Micheal should consider using Patreon subscriptions to generate income
> flow - and that would potentially enable him to hire help and move this along more quickly,
> what do you think?

Like Marco mentions above, just going more quickly is not a big goal of mine, other factors like stability and clean UI design are bigger goals for me, I kind of like to take my time and focus on doing a good job with stuff. Quality takes time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
One of my favourite sayings that I use regularly and has proved itself time and time again to be correct is "Hurry Slowly".

In my mind you need time to think to get things right. These days things are too quick and faster faster faster is all people want to do. That is where mistakes and compromises come from that make less than perfection.

I think that Michael's approach is absolutely correct and his dedication and passion is what shines through in MoI....

Thank you Michael.
www.jameselliott.co.uk
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.16 In reply to 7568.15 
Thanks very much James, I'm sure your stonework takes a lot of time to do properly too!

Software can often tend to have a lot of "layering effect" with elements persisting over a long time, and it can be difficult to undo rushed design choices later on. I bet that's in common with your work as well! :)

Merry Christmas!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well, I purchased it - I couldn't resist the B&W interface - and then I remade the ICONS and I really enjoy being able to customize the interface in Moi.CSS lots. Still - what I am interested in is PARAMETRICS & ORGANIC design - you know, symmetry - golden ratio - fibonacci - chaos theory designing - being able to use sunflower seed heads - double matrix, as well as TERRAZZO layouts - patterns. I've tried a few programs like Armadillo ArrayPlus & Parametric plugins - however, for me, they're not that intuitive, at least not as much as Moi3d. I find Moi3d commands much more sensible when it comes to aligning, arrays and pattern making. If I had my druthers it would be steering Moi3d empowering it more towards where t-Splines left off. Now that t-Splines has quit Rhino, I have no use for Rhino anymore, because I can't think how to do the organic shapes without t-Splines in Rhino (5). So now I'm pinning my hopes on Moi3d - perhaps Moi3d will compensate for the loss of t-Splines (to some extent) as it evolves, and add more PARAMETRIC tools - which - in my opinion - would make it a god-send. Cheers! I think this is the best software I've seen in 10 years~! Here are some ICONS, attached, plus the Moi.css file in TXT format - and a screenShot of my favorite GUI:

The Moi3D txt file (Moi.css in text format which I've customized) didn't upload - doesn't open - so I've pasted it below:

html, body {
color:#dddddd;
width:100%;
height:100%;
margin:0;
-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;
}

img {
-webkit-user-drag:none;
vertical-align:bottom;
}

.CommandBarBody, .SidePaneBody {
background-color:#535353;
}

.MenuBody {
background-color:#666666;
flyoutBorderImage:url(FlyoutBorder.png);
}

.MenuBodyDark {
flyoutBorderImage:url(FlyoutBorder2.png);
}

.DialogBody {
padding:5px 10px;
}

.OptionsBody {
}

.ViewControlsBody {
opacity:64;
}

/*** Command buttons ***/

moi\:CommandButton, moi\:CommandMenuButton, moi\:CommandSplitButton {
display:inline-block;
text-align:center;
border:0px solid transparent;
border-radius:4px;
padding:1px 0.1em 2px 0.1em;
font-size:75%;
white-space:nowrap;
}

moi\:CommandButton > img, moi\:CommandMenuButton > img, moi\:CommandSplitButton > img {
width:3.25em;
height:3.25em;
}

moi\:CommandMenuButton {
border-radius:0 0 4px 4px;
}

moi\:CommandButton:hover, moi\:CommandSplitButton:hover {
border-color:#999EA1;
background:#C0C0C0;
}

moi\:CommandButton:active, moi\:CommandSplitButton:active, moi\:CommandButton.active, moi\:CommandSplitButton.active {
border-color:#999EA1;
background:#686868;
}

moi\:CommandMenuButton:hover {
border-color:rgb(153,158,161);
background:rgb(255,255,255);
}

.CommandSetContainer {
border:0px solid #282828;
background-color:#303030;
border-radius:5px;

width:100%;
height:5px;
text-align:left;
padding:0.25em;
}

.CommandSetBody {
background-color:transparent;
text-align:left;
}

moi\:CommandButton.CommandSetOpen {
background:#303030;
border:0px solid #282828;
border-top-color:#303030;
border-radius:0 0 5px 5px;
position:relative;
top:-2px;
z-index:1;
}

body.CommandSetBody moi\:CommandButton {
vertical-align:top;
}

/*******/

moi\:WindowControlButton {
}

moi\:WindowControlButton span {
vertical-align:bottom;
padding:0.05em;
}

moi\:WindowControlButton img {
width:1.85em;
height:1.85em;
border:1px solid transparent;
border-radius:6px;
}

moi\:WindowControlButton:hover img {
border-color:rgb(160,160,160);
background:rgb(188,188,188);
}

moi\:WindowControlButton:active img {
background:rgb(165,165,165);
}

/* The one with class="CloseWindow" gets a red colored background */
moi\:WindowControlButton#CloseWindow:hover img {
background-color:#808080;
}

moi\:WindowControlButton#CloseWindow:active img {
background-color:rgb(235,9,9);
}

moi\:WindowControlButton:focus {
outline:dotted 1px;
}

/*******/

moi\:FlyoutHeader {
display:-webkit-box;
-webkit-box-align:center;
}

moi\:SmallCloseWindowButton {
margin:0.1em;
}

moi\:SmallCloseWindowButton > img {
width:1.5em;
height:1.5em;
}

moi\:SmallCloseWindowButton:hover {
background-color:rgb(250,96,96);
border-color:rgb(124,124,124);
}

moi\:SmallCloseWindowButton:active {
background-color:rgb(235,9,9);
}

moi\:SmallCloseWindowButton:focus {
}

/*******/

moi\:MenuItem {
display:block;
padding:0.15em 0.6em 0.15em 0.05em;
text-overflow:ellipsis;
}

moi\:MenuItem > img {
width:0.95em;
height:0.95em;
vertical-align:baseline;
padding-right:0.1em;
visibility:hidden;
}

/* When the menu item has class="checked", show the check img */
moi\:MenuItem.checked > img {
visibility:inherit;
}

moi\:MenuItem:hover {
border-color:#666666;
background:#414141;
}

moi\:MenuItem:active {
background:rgb(149,211,255);
}

moi\:MenuItem:disabled {
color:gray;
}

moi\:MenuSeparator {
height:1px;
overflow:hidden;
background-color:gray;
margin:2px 0;
}

/*******/

moi\:TabContainer {
}

moi\:TabButton {
padding:0.3em 0.5em 0.35em 0.5em;
font-size:90%;
border:1px solid #2C2C2C;
border-left-color:#414141;
border-right-color:#414141;
background:#666666;
}

moi\:TabButton:first-child:not([no_end_styles]) {
border-top-left-radius:5px;
border-bottom-left-radius:5px;
border-left-color:#2C2C2C;
}

moi\:TabButton:last-child:not([no_end_styles]) {
border-top-right-radius:5px;
border-bottom-right-radius:5px;
border-right-color:#2C2C2C;
}

moi\:TabButton:hover {
color:#C0C0C0;
}

moi\:TabButton.active {
background:#414141 !important;
}

/*******/

input, moi\:TextInput, moi\:NumericInput, moi\:DistanceInput, moi\:IntegerInput, moi\:UnsignedIntegerInput,
moi\:PointInput, moi\:CoordinateXYZInput, moi\:CoordinateDistanceInput, moi\:CoordinateAngleInput {
border:1px solid #666666;
padding:1px 1px 1px 0.35em;
color:#000000;

-webkit-user-select:text;
-webkit-user-drag:none;

width:5em;
/*allowdblclick:false;*/
cursor:auto;
}

moi\:IntegerInput, moi\:UnsignedIntegerInput, .unsignedintegerdisplay {
width:3em;
}

moi\:UnitsLabel {
font-size:80%;
padding-left:0.2em;
display:inline;
}

/*******/

moi\:PushButton {
text-align:-webkit-center;
padding:0.3em 0.2em;
}

moi\:PushButton > div {
padding:0.35em 0.55em;

border:1px solid #0FFFFFF;

background:#686868;

}

moi\:PushButton:hover > div {
-webkit-box-shadow:inset 0 0 0 2px #FFFFFF;
}

moi\:PushButton:active > div {
background:rgb(205,215,227);
-webkit-box-shadow:inset 0px -1px rgb(255,255,255), inset 2px 2px rgb(180,180,180);
}

moi\:PushButton:focus > div {
outline-offset:-5px;
}

moi\:PushButton:disabled > div {
color:#7B1D1F;
border-color:#DE4641;
opacity:0.9;
}

/* use class="SlimBtn" for buttons in a dense grid to reduce padding a bit */

moi\:PushButton.SlimBtn {
padding-top:0.15em;
padding-bottom:0.15em;
}

moi\:PushButton.SlimBtn > div {
padding-top:0.2em;
padding-bottom:0.2em;
}

/*******/

moi\:StateButton {
padding:0.3em 0.15em;
margin:0.15em;

}

moi\:StateButton:hover {
border-color:#C0C0C0;
}

moi\:StateButton.on {
border-color:#C0C0C0;
}

moi\:StateButton:hover.on {
background-color:#C0C0C0;
}

moi\:StateButton:focus {
outline-offset:-5px;
}

/*******/

moi\:ShowHideStateButton {
padding:0.3em;
}

moi\:ShowHideStateButton > div {
padding:0.25em 0.5em;
border:1px solid #2E2E2E;

}

moi\:ShowHideStateButton:hover {
color:#FFFFFF;
}

moi\:ShowHideStateButton:hover:not(.on) > div {
background:rgb(203,231,241);
}

moi\:ShowHideStateButton.on > div {
}

/*******/

moi\:ListItem {
word-wrap:break-word;
padding:0.1em 0.25em;
noautotoggle:true;
}

moi\:ListItem:hover {
background:-webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%, rgb(237, 246, 249)), color-stop(30%, rgb(178, 223, 249)), color-stop(100%, rgb(237, 246, 249)));
}

moi\:ListItem.on {
background:rgb(149,211,255);
}

moi\:ListItem:disabled {
color:#C0C0C0;
}

/*******/

moi\:CheckButton {
-webkit-box-orient:horizontal;
-webkit-box-align:start;

padding:0.1em 0.2em;
}

moi\:CheckButton .checkbutton_box {
border:0px solid #555555;
background:#737373;
width:1em;
height:1em;
vertical-align:text-bottom;
position:relative;
}

moi\:CheckButton .checkbutton_box img {
visibility:hidden;
width:1.15em;
height:1.15em;
position:absolute;
left:0.05em;
bottom:0.2em;
}

/* When the button has class="on", show the check img */
moi\:CheckButton.on .checkbutton_box img {
visibility:inherit;
}

moi\:CheckButton:hover {
}

moi\:CheckButton:hover .checkbutton_box {
background:#C0C0C0;
}

moi\:CheckButton:focus .checkbutton_content {
outline-offset:1px;
}

/*******/

moi\:LabelButton {
}

moi\:LabelButton:hover, .label_button:hover {
background-color:#BBBBBB;
}

moi\:LabelButton:active, .label_button:active {
background-color:#999999;
}

/*******/

moi\:Spacer {
width:0.5em;
}

moi\:SmallSpacer {
width:0.2em;
}

moi\:SmallBr {
height:0.25em;
}

/*******/

hbox, flex_hbox, .hbox {
-webkit-box-align:stretch;
}

vbox, flex_vbox, .vbox {
-webkit-box-orient:vertical;
-webkit-box-align:stretch;
}

flex_hbox, flex_vbox, flex, .flex {
-webkit-box-flex:1;
}

flex, .flex {
}

vcenter {
height:100%;
display:-webkit-inline-box;
}

/*******/

.dialogokcancelbtn {
min-width:6em;
font-size:120%;
}

moi\:DialogOKCancel, moi\:DialogClose, moi\:DialogOK, moi\:DialogCancel {
text-align:right;
}

moi\:LogoDialog {
}

moi\:LogoDialogOKCancel {
}

/*******/

moi\:Text {
}

moi\:Title {
display:none;
}

/*******/

/*
::-webkit-scrollbar {
width: 18pt;
height: 18pt;
}
*/

/*******/

moi\:Select, select {
-webkit-appearance:none;

white-space:pre;
background-color:#2F2F2F;

margin:0;

border:1px solid #686868;
border-radius:2px;

}

moi\:Select:focus, select:focus {
outline: dotted 1px;
outline-offset:-2px;
}

.select_text {
-webkit-box-flex:1;
padding:0 0.4em;
}

.select_button {
width:1.35em;
line-height:1.65em;
border-left:1px solid #7F9DB9;

background:#FFFFFF;
}

.select_button_hover {
-webkit-box-shadow:inset 0 0 0 2px #FBCA6A;
}

.select_button_active {
background:#CDD7E3;
-webkit-box-shadow:inset 0px -1px rgb(255,255,255), inset 2px 2px rgb(180,180,180);
}

.select_button_img {
width:0.75em;
height:0.75em;
}

.select_listitem_highlight {
background-color:#4972CD;
}

/*******/

moi\:Binder {
display:none;
…[Message Truncated]

View full message.

EDITED: 26 Dec 2016 by FRACTIONALIST

Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 4.1 KB, Downloaded: 20 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.3 KB, Downloaded: 6 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.4 KB, Downloaded: 7 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.9 KB, Downloaded: 5 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.2 KB, Downloaded: 6 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.5 KB, Downloaded: 5 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 6.4 KB, Downloaded: 3 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 6 KB, Downloaded: 5 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 4.1 KB, Downloaded: 4 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 989.8 KB, Downloaded: 147 times, Dimensions: 1920x1052px
Size: 6.5 KB, Downloaded: 4 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 3.4 KB, Downloaded: 3 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.2 KB, Downloaded: 8 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 3.3 KB, Downloaded: 6 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
Size: 5.8 KB, Downloaded: 6 times, Dimensions: 64x64px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.18 In reply to 7568.17 
Hi Ced, thanks very much for your purchase! For one type of parametric functionality check out "Project Elephant" from Max Smirnov for a node editor you can set up in MoI: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8197.1

Max has also done a sub-d smoothing command for MoI as well: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6674.203

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.19 In reply to 7568.11 
Ced,

One thing I find working with MoI, is that it's extremely well thought out. This makes for a workflow which has no superior for me in the 3D modeling world. I prefer Michaels business model where he's not upgrading every year-- adding superfluous features which end up cluttering an interface and redefining the customer (as in EXISTING ONLY). At some point THAT approach ends up with a Rube Goldberg concoction of features and functionality no one on the planet can fully understand or use (see iTunes for instance!).

The other thing it took time for me to understand is Michael is a craftsman who is not focused on creating a large company or a large product with a large following which competes with the likes of Rhino, Solidworks, Onshape, Autocad, Pro-E, Alias, Modo, etc.. His pricing is low and affordable, and he knows a lot of his users actually use his product with those others. I suspect he enjoys a lifestyle company which he owns and controls, where he gets to interact directly with his customers, and takes time to finely hone his product, just as a craftsman likes to do.

Oh, and thanks for the icon work. Enjoy MoI3D!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7568.20 In reply to 7568.19 
Hi Chipp, yes you've definitely got it figured out!

One thing that's really problematic about the "must pile on features for this release" type approach is that the existing user base just has no idea how bad things have gotten, they have a high tolerance for the clutter because they're like the frog who is getting boiled very slowly and doesn't notice it. They've built up a tolerance for the problems because they've been along for the ride for quite a while and are able to tune out added things that they don't care about just as long as the stuff that they have been using for the past 15 years still operates the same. But at that point if someone new comes along they get walloped by the full accumulation all in one single dose and it's a very different experience.

Another thing that happens quite easily is that if many people are working on a product it's very natural for each person to want to "make their mark on it" in some visible way because that's just naturally how it seems like they're contributing and doing a good job. It's a lot easier to keep this kind of accumulation in control when there's only one person working on it. There's a lot less meetings and arguments too... ;)

This type of thing just happens so automatically that I really try to keep actively on guard against it. But also just having one person working on it helps keep it in check a lot with a forced rate limiter.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-68