Stuck in a different way to usual

Next
Hi
Thanks to Moi I have discovered that I can make quite pleasing 3d models of just about anything. I'm not a master modeler by any means but I am making such good progress that I though I would try giving some away and might even try selling some on the internet. The problem I am having is that I haven't the faintest idea how to do this, so I though I would ask the most helpful forum that I know of and that is this one. I should point out that I'm a 53 year old who just doggedly persists with things rather then an up and coming young Jedi of the modeling community. Any crumbs of advice appreciated:) I attach a model that took several weeks of spare time to complete that is now stranded on my home PC because I don't know how to turn it into a usable product for others. I literally cant give it away.
Best regards
Keith
Image Attachments:
Size: 60.1 KB, Downloaded: 151 times, Dimensions: 509x470px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7562.2 In reply to 7562.1 
Hi Keith, your wagon looks great!

For giving away models you can post your CAD models on http://grabcad.com

For selling them I'm not really familiar with that but you might try http://www.turbosquid.com/

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7562.3 In reply to 7562.1 
Hi Kieth,
Another avenue you might try is to setup a ShapeWays account and get your model setup "3d printable".... They then have a user "store" where you can present stuff for sale.... :)

The TurboSquid type site Michael mentions is a good way also... Tag your model well and people searching for some content they need can buy it....

Daz3d has these options too. Present your content model and people purchase it to fill their scenes....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7562.4 In reply to 7562.3 
I took a look at the freebie CAD site and to my eyes the stuff being given away is a as good as that being sold elsewhere. I suppose people find it easier to buy something than make it themselves.

EDITED: 20 Sep 2015 by KEITH1961

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Keith,

You might find some folks interested in THAT model over at Cornucopia, powered by Vue. I used to sell objects over there and while you can't charge as much as Turbosquid, you will find a lot more people buying it. Also, you can check out Renderosity as well as any other Poser online stores.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7562.6 In reply to 7562.5 
Hi
Thanks Michael for the link to SimLab Composer, it has been a real eye opener for me.

I'm posting the following postscript to my questions in case anybody else is as ignorant of the basics as me and struggling with Carrara and Daz Studio.

Carrara and blender both mess up the mesh from Moi and give very disappointing results. If a model has custom vertex smoothing both Carrarra and Daz Studio will fail to display a smooth model.

I have never managed to export a model from Carrara complete with material and texture maps and it certainly does not produce anything as elegant at the Obj and Collada exports form SimLab.

On the other hand SimLab is able to import objects form Moi and export them as objects complete with textures. Exported collada files also import into Daz Studio and need only minor tweaking of the shaders.

The lesson for me is that for a beginner on a budget Moi and SimLab are an excellent choice save a awful lot of wasted time and frustration.

Once again thanks Michael for making Moi and being so helpful.

I made the attached today and rendered it in Daz Studio using iray.

EDITED: 22 Sep 2015 by KEITH1961

Image Attachments:
Size: 28.5 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 485x608px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All