My solution for filleting problems
 1-4  5-22

Previous
Next
7358.5 In reply to 7358.3 
I would be curious to see if viacad could resolve this particular fillet example.
The trial I used last year didn't impress me that much. Yes you can go a little bit further than MoI, but you are still far from the last Spaceclaim video Burr posted recently.
(off course I shouldn't compare 100$ viacad to xxxx$ spaceclaim)

So far I was using an online solution like fusion360, but I hate this process so much that I prefer to waste one hour in MoI resolving the fillet 'by hand' than using this online service :P
Onshape is maybe faster to use, I will give a try (so thanks for posting the guide) ... but hell I'll love to pay MoI twice his price to have a better native fillet library !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

The assumption must be made that the content one loads up to Onshape is unsecured, their TOS is clear that the user is responsible for security of their content and they've indemnified themselves of liability in this regard.

The fact is that browser security is broken, and has been for a long time. I'd also question the inherent risk in that scenario of making sure projects are not accidentally marked public, which really would be a bad day for everyone involved. One must assume that if they are using a cloud service there is no expectation of privacy and security of their content.

The other thing to consider is the amount of potentially valuable IP in one spot. It would be easier to compromise that one location and it's content than thousands of endpoints with a variety of security mechanisms. Even if your content isn't specifically targeted your content may be swept up in the dragnet if someone decides to steal the bulk content and pick through it for bits that can be monetized.

I'm not trying to knock the functionality, it's a nifty piece of tech they've built, just some things to consider.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael will get us there, I have no doubt. And MoI's solution will be a model of simplicity to use.

In the mean time, this looks like a pretty slick workaround. Thanks for the demo!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.8 In reply to 7358.5 
<< (off course I shouldn't compare 100$ viacad to xxxx$ spaceclaim)
As soon as i found a little trick for reload a file .rsdoc format of the free DesignSpark Mechanical = Spaceclaim light)
For the moment I obtain a .SAT but unfortunatly i can't reload it inside MOI, Onshape... :(
here the file .SAT relsult(a simple box with an edge filleted)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/3/8/3938813/b.sat

DesignSpark Mechanical has also a cool function : the automatic maximum fillet!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.9 In reply to 7358.5 
ViaCAD can do that kind of fillet.
In the absence of the original file I created something similar, which I have attached as a STEP file.

Martin.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
An interesting recent blog article on this very subject:

14 Cloud Software Myths Debunked for Manufacturing Software

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2015/03/10/14-cloud-industrial-software-myths-debunked/

An excerpt:
Consider that OnShape has raised $64M in Venture Capital from some top firms. Those guys don’t invest that kind of money unless they smell a huge success in the offing. They are literally betting this company can change the whole face of CAD and garner a big share of that market.

Ed Ferguson
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.11 In reply to 7358.3 
Since you’re asking my opinion on the security of cloud services, here’s my 2 cents.

My last two jobs were EVP and General Manager for Professional Services and VP of Engineering, both for decent sized software companies (>400). I had to deal with IP in the cloud in both positions. Over the years I came to the conclusion our IP was as safe, or safer in the cloud than in our data center or local servers.

Twice our local servers crashed and the backups took days to resolve. Most all networks these days have VPN access, so you’re still one config file away from being able to access the data on them. Big companies, like Pearson Education are now using Google for their email and other infrastructure needs.

For my money, I prefer the cloud for data storage. In fact ALL my data files, including MoI are saved directly to my Dropbox. This way, just in case I need to, I can use Dropbox’s auto archive as a poor mans versioning (I also use incremental save in MoI).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

I can't take the author seriously with such misinformation at very least on item 5 in the article (among others). AWS has a provisional authorization for public unclassified information from the DoD and he's implying that it somehow makes that cloud infrastructure secure? Even if you don't have a background in security and you know to use a search engine you'll know he is talking about things he has no clue about. The problem is I think he's drinking his own Kool-Aid, he thinks his information is secure.

Of course you're never going to hear that from a cloud vendor, it runs contrary to their survival. Depending on the NDA a client would have ever right to come down like a ton of bricks on a firm that played fast and loose like that with someones IP. Using ignorance as an excuse doesn't fly in this case, especially since there are plenty of superior security and compartmentalization strategies available that avoid the dangers of using the cloud. Nowadays IP equals money, if Onshape is even moderately successful I can't imagine the value that one could put on that IP stored there.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
OK I have the trick ! A long run! :)

The key was DesignSpark Mechanical 1
(I have used DSM 2 so only SPaceclaim 2015 can reload the Sat format! )
With DSM 1 you can directly reload the SAT format inside MOI !!! DSM1 is here: http://zwcad.com.tw/nick/FREE3D/

- So make your object in Moi: export as Step format
- Reload inside DSM 1
- Draw a Sphere(or anything): RightClick on the top Tree Structure - Disable Unlock

- Kill the sphere
- Save as normal DSM format (MyObject.rsdoc)
- Rename in MyObject.zip
_ UnZip - find inside the result the .sab file (folder SpaceClaim/geometry)
- Find the SabSatConverter.exe (inside the folder of DesignSpark Mechanical 1 )

Now the hard part :) You must have enter this line inside the Window dialog of excecute a program ! :)
with address of the 3 parts
sabSatConverter.exe -i c:\path\to\my\inputfile.sab -o C:\path\to\my\outputfile.sat

(for have address of a file inside Windows : Right Click + SHIFT on the File !

mine was something like this! (remark the "", i don't know if its the same for you ) must be a single line!
"C:\Program Files\DesignSpark\DesignSpark Mechanical 1.0\SabSatConverter.exe" -i "C:\Users\Desktop\ku\kub\k.sab" -o "C:\Users\Desktop\ku\kub\k.sat"
Press ENTER your file k.sab is now transformed by magic in k.sat !!!
So I can reload it directly the object with the fillets inside MOI

I don't know if the format SAT is better or not than a format STEP ?

My final test ;) (not exactly the same start and final because i have erased it for write all above! :)
Inside DesignSpark (the program used by Buur for his fillet video)

Inside Moi with the reload in SAT format

EDITED: 21 Apr 2015 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.14 In reply to 7358.10 
>>>Consider that OnShape has raised $64M in Venture Capital from some top firms. Those guys don’t invest that kind of money unless they smell a huge success in the offing. They are literally betting this company can change the whole face of CAD and garner a big share of that market.

Jon Hirschtick (Founder of Onshape) has also raised Capital in the past for Breaking Vegas (True Story).

Now trusting him with your data is a deferent story :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The issue whether to trust the cloud is very much up for debate. Some individuals absolutely don’t trust it. Others are okay while even other favor the ease of use, cost savings and overall simplicity.

I have found many in IT who don’t trust it at all. Cloud based infrastructure can be a threat to their job security. We know it takes more IT staff to manage a full MS Exchange environment for a company, than a Google Apps domain.

I’m sure the debate will continue to go on and on, but slowly the cloud IS winning. More and more companies are recognizing the cost savings and data control which goes with cloud hosted and SAS solutions.

All that said, we do know one good thing local servers are really good at: hiding emails from the State department if your last name is Clinton. ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.16 In reply to 7358.5 

"but hell I’ll love to pay MoI twice his price to have a better native fillet library !"

I double that notion! That said, I suspect swapping out a Solids kernel is harder than even the 64-bit port. Still, it would be great!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
MaidSafe should be a big help with securing our personal information http://maidsafe.net/

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.18 In reply to 7358.17 
... "but hell I’ll love to pay MoI twice his price to have a better native fillet library !"

I agree.

IMHO most of the other proposed changes being discussed are mute if you can't do the basics reliably.

Ed Ferguson
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

The question really isn't technical in nature it's one of mindset. If you put a high value on the information you generate and that you hold in trust for others the tools will follow the policy and mindset. I'm not suggesting that cloud based apps aren't useful at all, but an honest assessment has to be done to see what exposure one has with the type of information that someone puts into the cloud, the same assessment that has to be done no matter where you're placing it. There is no getting around the situation that when you push your data to the cloud you've lost control of your IP, and you've just become a much larger target.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ok I have taken a similar volume than Chipp Walters
Work perfectly as my process seen above! :)

Moi --> export Step Inside free DesignSpark V1 --> export and transform in SAT format --> reloaded inside MOI! :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7358.21 In reply to 7358.19 
OSTexo,

Yes, I understand where you're coming from. Assessing risk is critical

On another note, the sad fact is just about all of our personal data ends up in the cloud. Our credit card receipts and information, our tax information, our health records, our phone and email and text messages...it all ends up there sooner or later.

Nowadays, with all the social hacking, even though one's account may not be compromised, someone you know may be. Apple is about as paranoid as they come, still their iCloud was hacked a few times and personal selfies belonging to famous people were posted. I suppose there's a way to NOT be connected, but not if you're a participating digital member of society.

While CAD files are certainly of high IP value, I would suggest some SAS companies source code may be even more valuable. And of course many times that assessment must be made, and sometimes the choice is to store it in the cloud-- sometimes not. I know of a company who had all their data stored locally with off-site backups once per month (ouch!). Eventually (of course), the were robbed and the thieves took all the servers. Took weeks to get back to business as usual, not to mention how they had to explain to their customers. So, I guess nothing is completely secure-- just varying degrees of it.

Thanks for you point of view.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello chippwalters,

I agree that many bits of personal information will end up floating around in public due to negligence due to the individual or those who collect it. Reduction of footprint (exposure) and compartmentalization have been around for decades and are very effective methods to secure your data. Bringing personal responsibility to bear for individual data or data in trust will snap people into a more proper way of thinking like nothing I've ever seen. I think many data sharing vendors in general (not just cloud based) have done a job deflecting customers concerns on this point to their detriment. Interestingly a proper security mindset is exceptionally effective against on premise theft and insider threat. I wish that more people were able to properly evaluate the value of their IP and those of their partners, I doubt they'd be in such a mess if they did.

On the subject of the filleting issue, I've found that Autodesk Shape Modeling does a nice job of filleting those complex edges, and nPowers plugin is showing some promise in testing. Interesting stuff to consider, thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-4  5-22