Advise on how to model a tatting shuttle
All  1  2-5

Previous
Next
7157.2 In reply to 7157.1 
Hi Tayvon - the main way to bend things is to use the Transform > Deform > Flow command, there is an overview of it here:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow

In your case here it would be something like draw in the base line for the flow something like this:

The base line should be a sort of "backbone" line running down the middle of the area you want to bend.

Then to perform the bending you draw in an additional bent curve off to the side like this:

Then to do the bending you select the object you want to transform (and only that object to start with, make sure the base and target curves are not selected yet), then run Transform > Deform > Flow, then at the first prompt (be looking in the upper right corner of the main window to see the prompts for what MoI is asking you to do next) select the base line, and at the next prompt select the target curve and that will perform a bending like this:

Also see the attached 3DM file.

This could be a good candidate to build it bent from the beginning possibly though by doing something like extruding a bent curve for the side walls and then cutting that with another bent curve in the front view, rather than trying to bend it into place later on.

But if you want to try bending it after an initial straight construction the Transform > Deform > Flow command is the way to do it.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Tayvon,

I would approach this as Michael suggests:
quote:
This could be a good candidate to build it bent from the beginning possibly though by doing something like extruding a bent curve for the side walls and then cutting that with another bent curve in the front view, rather than trying to bend it into place later on.

Reason being, when using flow everything will follow the bent line including the boss that is protruding with the half hole, so if you need this flat then modelling the top part curved from the beginning would be the way to go, or use flow to bend the top part before you attach the boss.

I also noticed the model is very tiny for 3d printing, I don't think it will do well with a minimum wall thickness of 0.04mm and the hole diameter of 0.3mm, is this correct?

-
~Danny~

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7157.4 In reply to 7157.2 
Michael,

Thanks for the help here.

A little explanation - I plan to print it flat and then use a bit of heat to soften it up, and then place it in a curved fixture to give it a bend. I wanted the bend in the model so I could use that as a guide to put the proper bend in the fixture. I'm envisioning a two part fixture that will press all along either side of the boss.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Tay
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7157.5 In reply to 7157.3 
Danny,

Good point - I hadn't given the scale any attention thus far. And good catch on the surface not being flat after Flow. That will need to be flat so I can glue another copy of it to the first one. See above to see how I plan to proceed.

I wish my printer could do features that small!! :)

Tay
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-5