V4 Wish List
 1-20  …  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-240  241-260  …  561-574

Previous
Next
6925.201 In reply to 6925.198 
Hi Chipp, I'm glad the SketchUp exporter is useful for you!

MoI v4 will still have it, using an updated .skp library that will write SketchUp 2016 .skp files now I think. There's also a change so that each MoI object will be written as a separate group object in SketchUp so that 2 objects touching each other won't merge vertices together as will happen currently. You'll be able to turn it back to not making groups too if you want.

I was able to get updated libraries for all import/export formats that MoI uses so none will be missing for v4.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Chipp despite the description of Michael in case of transformation of the actual SU format don't work for you...
you have a very simple solution : keep the V3 Moi3D in a corner of your computer! :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's right Frenchy, mine's sitting over there next to the pop machine.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.204 In reply to 6925.200 
HI Michael,

Great script it works very well just added another arrow to the MOI toolkit.

Thanks again for the custom tailoring of solutions to improve workflows.

All the best
Alex.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.205 In reply to 6925.201 
Thanks, Michael. Sounds great and look forward to testing it out! Yes, Monsieur Pilou, I will be also keeping MoIV3 :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

a few things into wishlist(I didnt read all the thread, even tho im sure these been discussed before):
-a move/scale/rotate tool would be cool, so you could do all these operations on edges or faces. Not sure if thats somewhat possible since moi doesnt count with model history...
-more reliable fillet/chamfer tools, this is something I really miss from programs like SpaceClaim or Fusion360
-sometimes Moi leaves quite a bit of unnecesarry splits on the edges, not sure if thats something that could be improved or not.

Also a small question: can I use moi licence on two PCs NOT simultaneously? I have licence on my company´s PC but would like to do some work at home too.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.207 In reply to 6925.206 
Hi thesixtyeight, the next time you run into the "unnecessary split edge" problem can you try to e-mail me the file so I can collect some cases to look at? One thing to note though is if you have segmentation in your curves you are using to generate things from by say extrude or revolve, it's normal for that to make the same segmented structure in the generated solid or surface.

> Also a small question: can I use moi licence on two PCs NOT simultaneously? I have licence
> on my company´s PC but would like to do some work at home too.

You can have the same license simultaneously installed on as many machines as you need, just as long as it's only actively launched and running on one of those installs at a time. So yes it's no problem for you to have it installed both at work and at home. You don't need to do anything special to set that up, just use the same license key and installer on each machine. If you need a new download of the installer you can get that here: http://moi3d.com/reinstall.htm

You would only need an additional license for a separate machine if you wanted some other person to be using it there the same time as you.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What do \you\ think Moi3d has over SpaceClaim?

I'm curious what are your preferences for Moi3d/ thank you -

https://youtu.be/1BnzWjqInj4

IMO - Seems like a troubled company, overpriced software (3000 USD) and low level surfacing tools in SpaceClaim are the main issues I googled, however, the 10 compelling reasons to buy SpaceClaim - I believe - would be where Michael focus's on strengthening those 10 (reasons) seen in the youTube clip for SpaceClaim - Moi3d v4 - those 10 features look arguably terribly useful - and would make Moi3d an incomparable bargain in the marketplace, yes or no?

I'd love to see those 10 tools in Moi3d! Oh! Yeah!

Nevertheless, I like the way \my\ MODDED OUT VERSION of MOI is LOADED with every node, hotkey, script, command, lighting option, custom icon & png made by the inmates of this asylum, making my copy the most attractive, easy on the eyes software ever!

IMO now I have the best tool to experiment - better than a #2 pencil and paper! ha-ha!
Cheers,
Marmaduke Lambert

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Michael Gibson:
sure, I will send you some examples as soon as I get home.

@Ced:
I think the biggest advantage over any other CAD software is its simplicity and speed. Its very straightforward and supereasy to learn.
From the video I think the most useful would be No.9, i.e. move/scale/rotate tool for line segments and "vertexes"

Also one major (to me)thing for the wishlist:
-loop selection by doubleclicking the edge so you can select whole loop and apply fillet instead of clicking every single curve segment

Few minor things:
-Perhaps this can be done with simple script but while holding shift, the straight snap would be automatically turned on; and turned off when shift is released
-when selecting multiple objects/lines, you would need to hold CTRL and click and removing already selected object/line would be done by holding ALT
-Sometimes its a bit annoying that when you are doing booleans , sometimes you get automatically activated some type of boolean and sometimes its not activated .
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.210 In reply to 6925.209 
<< -loop selection by doubleclicking the edge so you can select whole loop and apply fillet instead of clicking every single curve segment

You have yet loop Selection! ;)
script:/*Loop selection*/moi.geometryDatabase.selectLoop();
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.211 In reply to 6925.209 
Hi thesixtyeight,

> Also one major (to me)thing for the wishlist:
> -loop selection by doubleclicking the edge so you can select whole loop and
> apply fillet instead of clicking every single curve segment

For the edge select loop see here for some demos on how to use it:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3112.22
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3112.32

> Few minor things:
> -Perhaps this can be done with simple script but while holding shift, the straight snap would
> be automatically turned on; and turned off when shift is released

The way it works right now is that holding Shift increases the "strength" of straight snap, meaning if you have straight snap enabled if you hold shift it will engage the straight snap no matter how far away your cursor is from the snap line instead of the regular way where it engages if you are close to it.

I guess I don't see any reason why it shouldn't also be used to temporarily enable straight snap if it's currently off as well. If you can remind about this when v4 betas are underway I should be able to do it then.

> -when selecting multiple objects/lines, you would need to hold CTRL and click and removing already
> selected object/line would be done by holding ALT

Right now you don't need to hold down any key to select multiple objects, but do you mean you wished that it did need to hold down a key?

A lot of other programs use Shift for this, what programs are you using that use Ctrl and Alt ?

> -Sometimes its a bit annoying that when you are doing booleans , sometimes you get
> automatically activated some type of boolean and sometimes its not activated .

That's normal behavior with the Boolean Union command - when you open up the "Boolean" command set, boolean union will not run automatically because it doesn't have any stages to it, it just processes things and immediately finishes. So running it automatically when the boolean command set opens is not good because you wouldn't have a chance to switch to one of the other boolean commands instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

You can put the following scripts as a keyboard shortcuts. To define them, open Option dialog window, go to Shortcut keys section, push the "Add" button there which will insert a new blank shortcut key; click in the "Key" column and add the key you want to use to activate it, like "H" for example; then click in the "Command" column and paste in the script line _or_ open the moi.ini file (C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Moi\moi.ini) and edit directly the [Shortcut Keys] section. Just assign some key (e.g. K, Space) or key combinations (e.g. Ctrl+U, Alt+E) or function key (e.g. F5). The code for shortcut should be one long single line. Simple shortcuts can be found in moi_hotkey.txt file.

Note: for keyboard shortcus (*Spelling error*) that have script code in them, you can put a comment in the code with a note in it. You put in a text surrounded by /* */ , just after the script: part – see MoI forum for example.
---

See illustration: I added the shortcut key, then to recreate the selection process:

1. Select FILLET
2. Select 2 curves on the object
3. Shortcut key: Ctrl+L

Looks easy! Nothing happens! Shouldn't it select all the curves to fillet?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.213 In reply to 6925.212 
Hi Ced, for a case like you show there a better way is to select the top face and then run the Fillet command. When Fillet is given a face as input it will target all the edges of that face.

For the loop selection, is it possible you have some tiny unselected edge in between those 2 you have selected? You need to have 2 consecutive edges selected for it to work. Either that or do you maybe have a standalone curve object selected there instead of edge sub-objects?

If you can post the 3DM file you show there I could probably give you some better information.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I just slapped this together to test the Ctrl+L script - made a bunch of curves, then EXTRUDE.

I supposed one follows this procedure:

1. Select FILLET
2. Select two (2) curves
3. Ctrl+L
4. Hold the SHIFT key down and click somewhere?

Cheers!
Great software - certainly compared to 3dCoat - which - despite Chipp Walters helpful clips - is difficult to learn!
Maximus
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.215 In reply to 6925.214 
Hi Ced, the problem is the Ctrl+L script only selects edges. Edges are a special category of curve, an "Edge curve" is part of the trimming boundary of a face. A "Standalone curve" is an independent object not connected to a face.

In your file you have these 2 types of curves overlapping on top of each other, you've got the original "Standalone curves" that you initially drew, and then after you did the extrude there are also "Edge curves" of the extrusion overlapping that same area.

You're getting the standalone curves selected when you click there, you're not getting the edge curves selected. Try hiding or deleting the original generator curves so you don't have anything right over top of your edges anymore so you can target the edges.

You can also look at the object type indicator in the upper right corner of the window to see what type of objects are selected. It will need to read "2 Edges" selected in order for the script to do anything. If it says "2 Curves", that means you have standalone curves selected not any edge curves.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Do I win the Darwin award, yes or no?

Thank you! Now please delete my question ha-ha!
Ced
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Michael Gibson:
thanks!

>I guess I don't see any reason why it shouldn't also be used to temporarily enable straight snap if it's currently off as well. If you can remind about this when v4 betas are underway I should be able to do it then.

cool, sounds good :)

>Right now you don't need to hold down any key to select multiple objects, but do you mean you wished that it did need to hold down a key?
>A lot of other programs use Shift for this, what programs are you using that use Ctrl and Alt ?

Yeah, so one wont accidentally deselect while wanting to select. This behaviour is from 3Ds max, I think maybe it would be cool to have it as an option?
I mean its not like a big deal, it just makes you feel that you can select/deselect more smoothly :)

>That's normal behavior with the Boolean Union command - when you open up the "Boolean" command set, boolean union will not run automatically because it doesn't have any stages to it, it just processes things >and immediately finishes. So running it automatically when the boolean command set opens is not good because you wouldn't have a chance to switch to one of the other boolean commands instead.

Sorry maybe I didnt explain correctly. As you can see in the image sometimes the boolean type is selected and you can proceed with selecting the second object, and sometimes its not. And so it gets a bit annoying as you count on it being selected even tho its not, and it happends quite a lot to me. I am not sure but this is maybe something to do with right mouse click. This is also /to me/ quite annoying thing, The right mouse tries to repeat last operation, I think right mouse should be used to deselect everything, or maybe if it is possible it should be possible to remap the RMB to a command. So people who would like to have deselect on it could switch it to it. This would be quite convenient I think.
Im not sure if you understood what im trying to explain, if not, if you would be interested I could quickly show you over skype with screen share ^^
Image Attachments:
Size: 90.4 KB, Downloaded: 34 times, Dimensions: 482x176px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.218 In reply to 6925.217 
Hi thesixtyeight,

re:
> Yeah, so one wont accidentally deselect while wanting to select. This behaviour is from 3Ds max,
> I think maybe it would be cool to have it as an option?
> I mean its not like a big deal, it just makes you feel that you can select/deselect more smoothly :)

There is something a little similar to this actually built in already - if you just click normally if there are several things all within target distance (like say 3 lines radiating out from a common center point and you're clicking near the common point), the preference is to target unselected objects which will become selected. So if you click 3 times on the common point you should end up with the 3 lines selected.

If you hold down ctrl and click the preference will be reversed, it will have a preference for targeting selected objects which will then get unselected. This is only for situations where there are many different targets clustered close to each other.

Really the best way to avoid selection and deselection problems is to avoid clicking in ambiguous areas to begin with, and to use the mouse over feedback to help see what's going to happen before you click. When a curve is going to be deselected it will get a dark halo around it, when it's going to be selected it gets a bright halo around it. If you intend to select things and you see a dark halo that's an indication that you shouldn't click there, it's not going to do what you want.

> Sorry maybe I didnt explain correctly. As you can see in the image sometimes the boolean
> type is selected and you can proceed with selecting the second object, and sometimes its not.

Well are you only ever using boolean difference or are you using boolean union sometimes too?

Those pop out things are called "Command sets", and when you open a command set the last command that you used in it is the one that will get launched. Except that is for commands that can work without any additional stage in them such as boolean union. If boolean union did launch automatically then if you had 2 objects already selected before pushing the "Boolean" button, it would run boolean union and be all finished which wouldn't be good if you wanted to run one of the other booleans instead.

You should be able to repeat this systematically - just run boolean union and do something else like draw a line and then come back to booleans, it should open up empty just like you show but that's intentional behavior.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.219 In reply to 6925.218 
Hi michael,
If you do any work on the forum, an addition could be a "user filter" where one could hide a user.

I know its kindof off from a positive request, but i could find this useful for myself....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.220 In reply to 6925.219 
Hi Burr, that is actually possible now I just removed some of the quick links to it in the original forum streamlining.

But you can still access that forum functionality by going to Options on the top bar and then "Relationships" in the left side menu.

Search on the user name, then click on the name in the list and you can set that user's messages to be ignored.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-240  241-260  261-280  …  561-574