Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A mannequin (basic human - with 5.9 feet* - 180 cm*) would bei nice - only for a quick proportion-measurment* - even only a flat plane like in sketchup - maybe also a basic light/sun and basic flat shadows.

This would be cool :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.80 In reply to 6864.79 
<< A mannequin (basic human - with 5.9 feet* - 180 cm*) would bei nice - only for a quick proportion-measurment*

This mannequin ? :)
http://bit.ly/moipat
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.81 In reply to 6864.80 
no, not a 3D Object, maybe only as a personal hack ... ;) - just 2D Dummy in the 3D Space ... but he he ... maybe a dummy ther you can place an other 2D Pictureelement - png e.g. would be nice white or black = transparent/alpha - in the origin point. Like in sketchup :)

EDITED: 10 Jan 2016 by LORDFOX

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.82 In reply to 6864.81 
So take this one and make any thing you want!
(Alpha, cutout...)
Then import inside MOI anywhere you want!

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.83 In reply to 6864.81 
Hi Lordfox,

> <...> maybe a dummy ther you can place an other 2D Pictureelement - png e.g. would
> be nice white or black = transparent/alpha - in the origin point. Like in sketchup :)

You could try using a background image for this, you can load one in using the View > Image commnad.

If you want transparent areas in the image, make sure the PNG image has alpha transparency in it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

As I wrote the initial wishlist post using a previous account, I can't add the following to it:

• Adding full viewport navigation customization to the MoI preferences — the ability to assign view zooming (including a direction switch option), view rotation and view panning to any combination of keys and mouse controls. This would really help in seamlessly switching between 3D applications.

• Adding the moi.ini alternate triangular faces generation option "CentroidTriangulation" to the MoI export dialog options.

• Adding the moi.ini Undo memory size option "MaxMemorySizeMB" to the MoI preferences.

• SVG import / export.

Thanks!

— Metin

EDITED: 30 Sep 2016 by METINSEVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.85 In reply to 6864.84 
1. group/ungroup feature
2. command line for scripts
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.86 In reply to 6864.85 
+ 1 for Group / Ungroup

The more I use MoI, the more I have situations where certain objects need to stay together. Too easy to accidentally bump something out of alignment.

Ed Ferguson
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Added this to my previous wishlist addition:

• SVG import / export.

A lot of logo's, icons, web graphics, etc. are created in that open vector format. It's also the default file format of Inkscape.

Thanks!

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) models • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael!

Just minor wishes, no priority...

1. Lower-Poly-Tessellation Proxy view port geometry or bounding boxes when manipulating the view or working with object.

Okay, so I know that programs like SketchUp does this, when the view is stationary and you aren't moving any surfaces, Moi can generally update the view port with fine tessellation, but when moving, zooming or whatever, dealing with models with a lot of complex and 'heavy' objects or using Moi on older video cards will cause the display to lag. Switching to a low-poly (high Angle setting) version or using bounding boxes in the worst loads might ensure that the model view can be manipulated at a 'comfortable' and efficient frame rate.

Maybe an [Auto] option for the viewport Angle setting - Moi would detect when the frame rate lags too slow in manipulating the view port and throttles the setting higher in angle to speed things up without the user worrying about it. (this could be computed on a separate thread so that there is no wait time when re-tessellating)

2. Slight Improvements to tessellation export (.OBJ, etc)

The "Insufficient Memory" thing is a buzz-kill but I do understand that it may be tied to video card memory... (maybe instead, it could just not show the object in view but process it algorithmicly anyways. ...I speak as a layman)
I wish that a scene could be exported all at once instead of having to export different sections only to re-combine them in the renderer... and on that note: wasn't there an .OBJ combining EXE? I swear I used one before but can't find it.

My main request for the export would be to allow separate tessellation setup factors for individual surfaces within one export session. Nothing complex or intrusive. Maybe just a button that says [fine tune selected] and like, if I had a roundish box with a button on it, I could add more detail to the button object and then let everything export at once.

3. N-Gon Patch tweak. Couldn't there be a special case with three or four-sided surface holes that the patch would use a single surface (most optimized to match the tangent continuity of the associated surfaces) instead of doing the star pattern on them? Or essentially like a Blend surface patch that would also match the sides.

4. Remember when you teased us with the possibility of a control cage deformer? (sigh...)

5. Rebuild to work with surfaces... and can work for joined surfaces.

Has anyone written a script that would place little ticks or tiny colored lines on the outside facing normal which would also be distributed to show surface continuity? I don't think Thea Render cares which side is which (a relief)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.89 In reply to 6864.88 
Hi Mike, thanks for your input!

There was an old MergeObj.exe utility program, but it didn't merge different entire OBJ files together, it merged any different objects within a single OBJ file together into one single object. Some info here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2699.4 . I've removed it since the option to merge same named objects does the same thing directly built in to MoI's regular export.

The "Insufficient memory" problem doesn't have to do with video card memory, it's due to running out of system RAM - MoI is currently a 32-bit program and can only address up to about 3GB of your system RAM before its 32-bit address space is all used up. For MoI v4 I've been doing a major rewrite specifically to deal with this so MoI v4 will be a 64-bit program and will be able to use all available system RAM, so that should solve this problem at least if you have plenty of RAM installed on your system.

re: different mesh settings for different surfaces in one single export session - I've thought about that before but it just inherently adds a significant amount of complexity to numerous things, just one example is that what if you needed to repeat the export after making some changes, would you really want to have to go through the steps of going through tuning all the individual settings all over again for each export? That seems like it would be problematic. Probably it would make more sense to have something that you could set up before doing the actual export where you could tag some surfaces with their own settings and those would then override the main dialog settings at the actual export time. But there would certainly be a lot of work involved in setting that up and I'm just in general not a big fan of that type of mechanism where something like the mesh export dialog controls don't have any visible effect on the current export due to some special override being set previously. That's the general kind of pattern that tends to lead to great confusion at some point later on when someone forgets they engaged some special override and wonders why their regular settings adjustments are having no effect.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.90 In reply to 6864.89 
Hi Mike,

regarding "insufficient memory" issue...

It helps me a lot to change setting of "ThreadLimit=" to "ThreadLimit=1" in moi.ini file. It works probably only one core of processor, export is slower, but I hadn't no problem with memory.

Mik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
+1 Bounding Box Proxy View
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Will to make a 3D and 2D dimensional grid of the Golden ratio for different dimensions of metric and inch, and custom sizes like Russian fathoms? Such as in SketchUp or Vectorworks. For example as the Atrise GoldenSection or PhiMatrix Golden Ratio Design for a building structure.

EDITED: 3 Oct 2016 by VLAD

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.93 In reply to 6864.89 
I'm farely new to moi3d but getting my feet wet and dirty finally. I've been a Maya nurbs modeler since the alias days so I'm constantly amazed how well moi nurbs work right out of the box.

Couple of suggestions:

Export mesh. It would be great to select isoparms of a nurbs surface and have the mesher algorythm know that it needs to respect those isparms as poly edges. This is handy so that you can further work areas in another 3D app but not run into the situation where the edges aren't orthographic as in a sphere where the polyedges along the equator arean't exactly in half of the sphere.

Also along the idea of setup for meshing would be the ability to save to an file user settings. This would be great to make adjustments on simple geometry and then recall on larger files that need to export.

Maybe a way to paint or setup a tolerance for trim edges to more align to non trimmed surface edges when going to a polygon. I realize it's doing this by welding vertices but if there was a way to adjust paramiterazation of the trim surfaces to look at adjoining non tri surfaces and try to mimic there topology. That would be really really neat.

Rebuilding surfaces and attaching in programs like Maya works awesome. Be great to have some of that functionality but I realize moi3d keeps things simple and I love that about it and is probably why it takes so much time to make great nurbs geometry in Maya as nurbs are very complex beasts.

My only thing I find difficult in moi3d at the moment is that if I want to select for instance edges and I have already drilled into the edges and select to drag a non crossing window around more edges, moi will instead grab the object if it's faces are below my cursor and then instead I grab the object and move it unexpectidly.
Not sure if I'm using moi properly but a menu system to maybe disallow selecting faces or edges or points (cv's) ala Maya style in the GUI would be helpful.

Love moi, it's my not so secrete weapon at work these days!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.94 In reply to 6864.93 
Brummett

"""""""""""""but a menu system to maybe disallow selecting faces or edges or points"""""""""""""""""""

MoI has a "filter system" that can help you here...

In the scene browser, a ctrl+click on the right side over here will activate a particular filter....

FYI...........
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.95 In reply to 6864.94 
Neat, that helps a bunch! Thanks BurrMan for the headsup.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 6864.96 deleted 26 Oct 2016 by METINSEVEN

Previous
Next
More wishes for v4:

- Search box for object list