unable to boolean subtract
All  1-3  4-7

Previous
Next
6671.4 In reply to 6671.3 
Hi wim,

> how do you do that, raise the bent part up a little? I can't activate the show points command, so how is it done?

I'm not sure if it's what Brian did, but to activate the show points command for a solid made up of trimmed surfaces you first need to use Edit > Separate to break it into individual surfaces. Otherwise it would be easy in many circumstances to move surface control points in an areas where there was a joined edge and open up a hole in what is supposed to be a common edge.

There's some more info on this topic on this FAQ entry here:
http://moi3d.com/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_does_show_points_work_for_some_objects_but_not_others.3F

And yeah definitely if some pieces of a surface push through itself making a self-intersection that will make the object not make a clearly defined solid volume and that will tend to mess up booleans.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I copied the cylinder edge to make it a curve, selected the few points after it curves down, to the end, moved the furthest one from the end up
a little bit, with the rest of the selected ones following along, and then did the circle sweep over again, using the modified curve. A bit crude.

- Brian

EDITED: 4 May 2014 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thanks all, it works indeed when moving the tubes a little, they were intersecting indeed.
another 2 things learned about MoI today! (didn't know about the intersection and about how to move points of a nurbs volume).
I thought I knew almost everything by now, but still...
next month I will be officially teaching with MoI!

cheers
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6671.7 In reply to 6671.6 
So another thing to note here, is sometimes you don't want to, or cant start moving things around.

So with your example, you could cut the tube into 2 pieces (just before it starts to intersect) then union the 2 pieces together which will remove the intersecting surfaces and allow the Boolean to succeed.

Although, in this case, the intersection was so small and slivery, I had to do an interse3ction curves on the 2 pieces, then use "trim" to remove the little intersection surfaces and then join back to a solid and Boolean diff away from the block...

FYI.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-7