Another newbie
All  1-2  3-11

Previous
Next
By the way, MoI turned out to be a fabulous 2D vector editor as well. Try exporting some curves as a PDF and opening the PDF in Inkscape.

———————

sevensheaven.nl — 3D (print) modeling • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • logos • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Haha old Blender habits die hard, huh Metin? I already tried that one too (Numeric key bindings) and I have another pet bad habit to try and port; failing to get blender-like keys implemented I turned to porting some other 3Dsmax bindings eheh

I must have missed that page, those really help cover lots missing commands. Many thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6348.5 In reply to 6348.1 
Hi Duarte, welcome to the forum, and thanks very much for your Portuguese language translation! I've attached it to this message, if someone wants to use it, copy the file into the \ui subfolder underneath MoI's main installation folder (on Mac right-click the MoI app and pick "Show package contents", then go to drive_c/moi/ui), and then a new entry will show up under Options > Language where you can pick Portuguese for the UI.

> 1 - Does this interface support assigning custom actions to mouse buttons? Could I assigning something
> like Shift + Middle Mouse Button to rotate the 3D view through there?

Sorry no, there isn't any way to assign custom scripts to mouse buttons.

You can set an option though that will make dragging the middle button all by itself without shift to do rotation instead of the right mouse button though. To do that go to Options > View > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options, and check the option for "Rotate with middle button", it's the 6th check mark down on the left hand side there.

> 4 - I already know about Petrov's page http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/ with custom scripts and
> commands, but is there any full listing or glossary of all MoI Commands/Scripts that can be assigned
> to these Shortcut key bindings anywhere?

Petr's page is the main one, along with the documentation page that Metin wrote above (http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#shortcutkeys).

It's not really possible for there to be a "full listing" of every possible script, because scripts are just code and can come in infinite varieties.

In the future I do want to make a more centralized "script library" type mechanism where you'd be able to browse a bunch of different kinds of script categories from within MoI and click a button to assign one to a shortcut key and things like that. That will involve a lot of work to set up though so it's a ways off still.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6348.6 In reply to 6348.2 
Hi Metin,

> Adding to your requests, I'd love to be able to map numeric pad keys separately from the main keyboard keys.

This should be possible in V3 now, see here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3808.7

If you set those up, you'll probably want to make a backup copy of that [Shortcut Keys] section of the moi.ini file, because if you ever open up MoI v2 using the same .ini file, it will end up discarding those Numpad entries since it doesn't understand them and the entire [Shortcut Keys] section gets written out as a whole chunk every time MoI exits.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6348.7 In reply to 6348.5 
A full scripts library will be nice indeed, but right now I only wanted those more "standard" commands. These will suffice!
I think I've ironed out most of my initial gripes with MoI, let the modeling begin :)

Thanks a lot!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6348.8 In reply to 6348.7 
Hi Duarte, also if you've previously spent a lot of time doing sub-d modeling in Blender it can sometimes take a while to get used to the very different strategy that you use with NURBS modeling. Basically with NURBS modeling you want to use booleans as a primary way of getting things done, and also try to form most of your model with 2D curves, some 2D curves used for generating things and some for cutting things.

So under regular circumstances a lot of the 3D edges in your final model will be a result of a cutting operation or something like that, rather than all the 3D edges drawn in by hand directly.

One kind of key thing is when you have something that ends in an irregular edge, often times you want to build a more simple initially extended shape and then cut off the end of that piece rather than trying to directly construct surfaces right to the irregular edge itself.

Check out here for some links to discussions and general tips for people who are coming from a sub-d / poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6348.9 In reply to 6348.8 
Although I am a sporadic Blender user, mostly has a hobby of for personal freelance work, I use 3DsMax much more often, because that's what we (are forced to) use at work.
I am an architect however, so my background and first contact with CAD and 3D modeling actually came from AutoCAD, so I am quite accustomed to Boolean operations and Solid modeling, my ascension to full NURBS should be a bit easier eheh.

I actually have more difficulties in getting into full Mesh modeling and Blender in general, because in 3Dsmax I use almost exclusively curve based modeling (with extrude/sweep and other modifiers) all the time, and I've had a bad time doing that in Blender because it's curve editing tools are quite messy and even worse than those of 3DSmax

Thanks for the tips though, I'll be sure to take a look at those threads, a reminder is always helpful. :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6348.10 In reply to 6348.9 
Hi Duarte, yes with your background you're probably going to feel pretty comfortable with booleans and 2D curve driven stuff right off the bat.

It tends to be a bigger adjustment for people coming from a heavy sub-d modeling background since they're very used to a kind of sculpting-like workflow of pushing things around in 3D rather than curve-driven stuff.

Doing the UI translation probably gave you a pretty good overall introduction to MoI as well! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6348.11 In reply to 6348.10 
You are most welcome for the translation, and yes indeed, having done that makes me feel like I already know all the commands available and how they work (the one with an UI at least), especially because I had to test many of them to ensure I totally grasped what they did and guaranty a good translation. Ironically, having translated all the UI, I hate using software in any language other then English, and never use Portuguese translations. I'll be forcing myself to use it in MoI for a while though, just to maximize the chances of catching any translation errors or see if I can improve the wording anywhere.

I do little AutoCAD modeling these days, as for Archviz 3Ds Max cover most of the day-to-day modeling needs, but I have not forgotten how it works some as times it's still needed and I actually enjoyed the workflow. I also just love and use 2D vector drawing software like Inkscape which gives a good background for how Bezier handles work, albeit 2D ones, which will be handy to deal with NURBS objects.
Like Metin mentioned, MoI also seems to deal very well with this kind of 2D drawing and exporting to PDF is great to later import in Inkscape and do some final post-processing and fine tuning.

I'll try and use MoI mostly for my long standing desire to do Science Fiction Concept modeling (spaceships vehicles robots etc.) as a hobby and see how it goes. The skills will definitely come in handy for any occasional more complex architecture models that might come up. Once again the vector PDF export will be excellent to obtain rigorous plans/elevations of constructions.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-11