New Mac OSX public beta Jan-31-2012 available now
 1-10  …  31-50  51-70  71-90  91-103

Previous
Next
Make a zip of all the directory?? that can be huge.

I just made a folder on my desktop called "Diseño 6" and I can't open files inside of that folder from the MoI Open window.

Im on OSX Lion with english as my main language.

The shortcut problem has no more relation than the Ñ character on both problems.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.72 In reply to 4879.71 
Hi ed - just a zip of the empty directory of that name would work, just so I can be sure I'm getting the exact same name over here. I tried to test by pasting in the same name from copied text in the forum but I can't repeat the problem that way so maybe I'm not getting quite the exact same characters in it or something like that.

So maybe if you could put some simple model of a box or something into the directory that you can't open and then zip that up (zip the whole directory up) and post it here that may help me to replicate the problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Here it is
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.74 In reply to 4879.73 
Hi ed, thanks for sending that "Diseño 6" in a zip file.

The weird thing though is that when I unzip that and place the "Diseño 6" folder on my desktop, I'm able to open the box.3dm fine from it (using File > Open). So I don't understand yet why it works for me and not for you.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well I don't know either but maybe it is related to the language settings of the OS.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
sweet! i'm late to the party but not too late :)

downloading now on my incredibly slow connection so will start testing tomorrow

fwiw michael..

i really don't know how much, if any, of a problem this will be but it's happening this summer with the release of mountain lion..

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/17/apple-removes-x11-in-os-x-mountain-lion-shifts-support-to-open-source-xquartz/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.77 In reply to 4879.76 
Hi Jeff,

> i really don't know how much, if any, of a problem
> this will be but it's happening this summer with the
> release of mountain lion..

That particular thing shouldn't be a problem for MoI - MoI does not actually require there to be a system installed version of X11, it already has its own X11 contained within the app itself.

Probably the thing that will be a bit more problematic is that new Gatekeeper thing which by default does not allow programs to run unless they are signed with a special certificate from Apple. But it sounds like you can still run an unsigned program just that you need to get it on the exception list by doing a right-click open on it at least one time. So that will probably be a minor hassle, since I don't think that I can properly sign MoI with a certificate because a couple of internal files get modified when you run it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
By the way if anyone is running the preview version of Mountain Lion, please let me know if the current beta of MoI is working ok on it or not. You may need to right-click on the MoI app and pick "open" from that right click menu to run it the first time since it is not digitally signed and it sounds like the new Gatekeeper mechanism by default screens out programs that are not digitally signed.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.79 In reply to 4879.78 
Sounds like Apple is having to catch up to Windows UAC!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
all i can say is wow!

the inferencing(?) system is great.. i feel pretty darn comfortable in the 3D viewport alone..

the default shading, line weight, point size, colors etc are really nice too.. (fwiw, i'm basically comparing to rhino osx and/or sketchup.. rhino osx doesn't really have much in the way of drawing space customization yet etc.)

the only sluggishness (or whatever) i've experienced so far is during launch but once i'm drawing, no hiccups.. (haven't tried anything to big yet but still.. nice 1st impression)

i fairly quickly came across a need which i couldn't find a way to do in the app.. i had to place layout points along a curve at a set distance..

i'm assuming some of the tools i'll need are available as scripts but the site where the scripts are (petr's moi page) seems to be down..

is there a moi script repository anywhere or maybe a thread here which lists available scripts?
thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
lol.. nevermind.. i figured out how to get the points along a curve at a set distance.. (array/curve)
oops

a link to scripts would still be nice though.. anyone?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.82 In reply to 4879.80 
Hi Jeff, I'm glad that you're liking MoI so far!

> the only sluggishness (or whatever) i've experienced so far
> is during launch but once i'm drawing, no hiccups.. (haven't
> tried anything to big yet but still.. nice 1st impression)

Yeah the start-up sluggishness is because of this anti-hacking layer that it has wrapped around it. The actual full purchased version will not have that and starts up a lot more quickly.

But that particular sluggishness is just on start up and does not impact things once it is up and running.

> i'm assuming some of the tools i'll need are available as scripts
> but the site where the scripts are (petr's moi page) seems
> to be down..

I can access it ok from over here so it seems to be back up, maybe just try again:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/

> is there a moi script repository anywhere or maybe a
> thread here which lists available scripts?

Petr's page is the repository right now - he's got a collection of nearly all the scripts that have been posted in the forum on his site, so that's the place you will want to go to find them all collected in one spot.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.83 In reply to 4879.80 
Hi Jeff,

> the inferencing(?) system is great.. i feel pretty darn
> comfortable in the 3D viewport alone..

Just watch out, once you get used to the construction line mechanism you'll start to really miss it in other apps! :)

There's a longer description of how they work here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#constructionlines

There are a lot of functions available within that one mechanism - one key difference from other inferencing systems is that a construction line in MoI is defined by 2 points - the point you start it on and then the point where you release your drag. That doesn't sound like much but it actually allows for a whole lot of functions involving distance, so things like the midpoint and reflected endpoints are available on a construction line which are not possible to get on inference systems that only radiate out rays from a single origin point instead of being connections between 2 points.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.84 In reply to 4879.83 
""""""Just watch out, once you get used to the construction line mechanism you'll start to really miss it in other apps! """"""""""

Understatment of the decade? or Century!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
quote m.g. -> ""Just watch out, once you get used to the construction line mechanism you'll start to really miss it in other apps! ""

ha! you're not lying.. wow
genius

a question... should the copy/paste between rhino osx and moi osx be working ?
and if not, which app (or OS?) do you suppose is breaking the link..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.86 In reply to 4879.85 
Hi Jeff,

> a question... should the copy/paste between rhino osx and
> moi osx be working ?

No, that part is not set up to work on OSX.

> and if not, which app (or OS?) do you suppose is breaking the link..

Right now MoI does not attempt to look for Rhino OSX clipboard data, I would need to know more details about how it labels its clipboard formats and if it is actually structured just as a regular 3DM file in memory like the Windows version is.

That's something that I can look into when Rhino OSX is maybe a bit further along.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael!

I was amazed to discover that you finally ported Moi to mac!!! Thanks! I have been hoping for that for a couple of years now.

Now I have a problem. I have received 2 files from a client. It is .3dm files from rhino. I can open them in moi but they appear empty, there is no objects in the browser. If I open the files in Rhino the geometry shows up fine. Even if I resave the file from rhino the file still opens empty in moi.

I don't know if this is a common problem or if it is related to the mac version of Moi.

Sorry if this is already answered in another thread. Couldn't find it.

Would really appreciate if there is any good solutions to this matter.

Kind regards

Oskar
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.88 In reply to 4879.87 
Ok, I think i solved it. The objects in the file was nested in some kind of block instances. I had to explode them in rhino before I could save it and be able to successfully open in moi. Is this the only way to solve this?

/Oskar
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4879.89 In reply to 4879.88 
Hi Oskar, yes currently MoI does not read block instances from 3DM files, so you do need to explode them in Rhino like you did in order for them to be seen in MoI.

There are also various other kinds of things that Rhino can store in 3DM files as well, like mesh objects, spotlights, annotation dots, etc... - MoI does not work directly with that stuff, it only works with regular NURBS objects from 3DM files.

In the future I want to add instance handling into MoI and then at that time I will probably get something in place to deal with block instances coming from Rhino.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I love it (MOI)! It is very easy to use. Except for the points allocation. What ensures the surfaces do not fit (gaps).
I know now how it works in order to avoid such gaps (Always build on existing geometry).

OBJ - EXPORT
At first I thought that "Moi", divide the geometry only on export by a separate calculation, making the distribution and ignoring the points themselves.
Now i often use the function "show point" to check them ;-).
Extra: Resizing the window (bad performance) also when i open the app the window is only filled half.

Here are a few pictures

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  91-103