Very bad fillet function
All  1-6  7-11

Previous
Next
4830.7 In reply to 4830.1 
Another possible workaround for this one particular fillet extension bug is to cut the edge up into 2 pieces (use Edit > Trim and the "Add trim points" button to cut the edge), that will then also avoid the bug that is happening in this particular situation, see attached model.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4830.8 In reply to 4830.3 
My previous workflow is this:
Draw curve -> Extrusion -> Boolean operations -> change of details.

Of course, I can change the workflow to avoid this error:
General shape obtained by rotating the curve -> do Boolean operations.

I know any one of the continuity fillets work well, but continuity fillets is not an exact arc, In many cases, G1 continuity and Circular continuity look very similar, but they generated polygon number is different. Moreover, this is not an advanced CAD software design intent.

This simple model can do, but complex models? Often difficult to change the design workflow。

Thanks BurrMan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4830.9 In reply to 4830.7 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4830.10 In reply to 4830.8 
Hi cx,

> This simple model can do, but complex models? Often difficult
> to change the design workflow。

The bug in this case seems to be when you have one long edge that then has only one relatively small piece taken out of it.

If you had a more complex model it would actually have avoided running into this particular bug.

See my previous example where a model with numerous notches taken out works fine without doing any other workaround:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4830.6

You happened to run into a bug that was specific to the particular configuration of that one model... That's going to happen from time to time.

I've added this one to my list to investigate to see if I can fix it up - it helps a lot having a simple and well constructed example like you originally posted.

For the most part this kind of simple case filleting tends to work well in MoI, I was pretty surprised that this one didn't.

Filleting is a quite complex process, it only takes one small bug in any one of a sequence of different operations to mess it up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4830.11 In reply to 4830.8 
Your welcome cx,
"""""This simple model can do, but complex models? Often difficult to change the design workflow"""""""

One simple rule that helps avoid these things is to keep seam edges out of your operations whenever possible... It's good to learn to pay attention to those as you create stuff. It also plays a huge factor in the polygon structure when you dice it up... A user here "PAQ" is very good at this! FYI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-11