Moi export to carrara

Next
Hello

I've just created a plane, using Moi.
I used sweep tool for every part of the plane

then I used bolean union to assemble every elements

But when rendering in Carrara, I get, strange results. (with triangle, triangle and quad or ngons)

When rendering in Messiah I also get strange results :

Is my modeling method correct ?
How can I improve my result ?

Thank you for any help.

Image Attachments:
Size: 38.4 KB, Downloaded: 7 times, Dimensions: 465x293px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4004.2 In reply to 4004.1 
See "Meshing options" when export from Moi.
"Divide larger than" can help, divide in to small polygons.
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#meshdialog
-EDDI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4004.3 In reply to 4004.1 
Hi PP - so the first thing is I notice that you have attached a LWO mesh file.

You should intead use OBJ format for transferring your model into Carrara - that will allow a piece of data called "vertex normals" to be read into Carrara and that will help out a lot with getting a better quality shading on your object.

Vertex normals are a relatively new thing in LWO files, and the only programs that read vertex normals out of an LWO file are Modo and LightWave - other programs will not see them and you will be missing this important piece of shading information.

So that's the first thing - use OBJ format instead of LWO format for transfer into Carrara.

Then the other thing is what Eddi mentions above - when you have a shape that is large but only shallowly curved, you may need to adjust some mesh settings to break the generated mesh down into more pieces. The basic slider on the export dialog controls an angle parameter, but when you have something that is only shallowly curved breaking things down by angle alone may not give it enough polygons.

The "Divide larger than" parameter is a distance value that you can enter which will cause any polygons larger than the given distance to be broken down further.

The value that you use depends on the scale of your model. Your model is at a rather small size (you may want to actually model things at a bit larger scale than this, because modeling things at a small size can lead to some problems), so a value of something around 0.05 would be good.

Note here that when I use a value of "Divide larger than" = 0.05 when exporting how many more polygons are created for your shape?

That along with using OBJ format will also help make a better rendering for you in Carrara - raytraced shadows in particular don't really work very well with polygons that are too rough and jagged. If you still see any issues, then try using an even smaller value for "Divide larger than" to create more polygons yet.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
sorry for having asked such a basic question.

Thanks for the two answers it greatly helps me.

I'll make some more test and post a picture tomorow.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4004.5 In reply to 4004.4 
No problem PP - that's what the forum is here for.

I'm hoping in the future to come up with some additional kind of measurement to use for the mesher so that objects that are larger but shallowly curved could maybe get meshed denser by default. But it needs to be controllable since some people actually want to get rough meshes for some different kinds of uses.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4004.6 In reply to 4004.5 
Hello

Here is my export, everything is fine. Thanks

While doing a few exportation tests I spend some time understanding export option, but this is no more concerning "exporting to carrara" so I will create a new thread.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All