Collapsing edges?

Next
I'd like to delete a face and join/weld the edges - is this possible to do? I've got the following shape:

I'd like to have a smooth transition here, but I'm not sure how to get it?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4001.2 In reply to 4001.1 
Hi Jim, could you please post the model file?

It generally helps to see the actual model file so that I could try some different techniques and give the best advice.

But probably what you would do there would be to delete that little face that you don't want and then put in a Blend surface to make a new smooth connection piece.

Here is some info on Blend:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#blend

You probably will need to use the Trim command to cut one of those edges into 2 smaller edge pieces and then do the blend as 2 surfaces since it only works on a pair of edges at a time.

But in general with NURBS modeling there isn't a way to just weld any 2 edges together and make the surfaces make a smooth connection, unlike with polygon modeling. Many times the edges in NURBS models are "trim edges" which are marking holes in a surface and not actually part of the surface itself and so therefore can't be dragged around or pushed together physically as you can do with edges in a polygon model. See here for some description on what "trim edges" are and how underlying surfaces work in NURBS modeling:
http://moi3d.com/faq#Q:_Why_does_show_points_work_for_some_objects_but_not_others.3F

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4001.3 In reply to 4001.1 
Oh also if you want to put a Blend in there as a way to make a smooth connecting surface, you may actually need to trim away some additional space to make the gap between pieces a little larger. Since Blend makes a new surface that is smooth to existing ones, if you have things that are pretty close together it can make the result pretty tightly bent and folded.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All