Few queries

Next
Hi

Just downloaded MOI and my initial impression is very positive...great work

I've never modeled in NURBS before...is it very different from sub-D modelling...although with MOI it seems very easy. However I've a few questions:

#1 How do I enter precise dimension for my modeling projects...e.g How do i create a box of X mm : Y mm : Z mm etc.

#2 I also noticed that my models when exported in .obj are triangulated why is it so.

#3 I use wings 3D as one of my modeling tools...it does not import .obj exported from MOI (it crashes)...any ideas why.

#4 Does MOI have support for material/ UV Mapping for its models. How is it done...

Thanks

Abhay Vir
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
About the Box
Options / Units System/ Millimeters :)
Draw Solid / Box 3 points and enter your measures :)

About triangulation : you have several choices when you export an object in OBJ format :)
Ngons, Quad & triangles, Only triangles and inside some regulates can be made :)
see this doc http://moi3d.com/1.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#meshdialog
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 6 Jan 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
About Wings3D : Use Blender http://www.blender.org/ (it's free) as "go between" then Wings 3D :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 6 Jan 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1246.4 In reply to 1246.1 
Hi abhayvir, I'm glad that you like MoI!

> #1 How do I enter precise dimension for my modeling projects...e.g How do
> i create a box of X mm : Y mm : Z mm etc.

Commands will generally show options in the upper-right area of the window, and that's where you can enter exact dimensions.

So for a box, after you place the corner point, if you look in the upper-right options area, you will see this:

You can click on either one of those and then enter a number to set a precise width and height value. After width and height are filled in, that option area will change and you can enter an extrusion value there.

When you see numeric options like this in the upper-right area, you can also just type characters right away without clicking anywhere. So for instance if you want to create a box with dimensions of 4 x 5 x 10, you would do this:

Start the Box command.

Click the first corner point.

Type in "4" (no need to click anywhere) you will see the 4 go into the "Width" field.

Press Tab to go to the Height field, and type "5" and press enter (or tab works ok too).

The prompt will change to Extrusion: type "10" and press enter and you're done.

When you want to place a point at a specific x,y,z location, you can either click in the x/y/z control in the bottom toolbar (just to the side of the Split/3D/Top/Front/Right view controls), or you can also just type in numbers and you will see them go to that control in a similar way as above.

There is also a distance and angle control below the x/y/z control that lets you control the distance and/or angle of a point in relation to the previous picked point.

> #2 I also noticed that my models when exported in .obj are triangulated why is it so.

I'll need some more info to help you on this one - first, what is your "Output:" control set to when you are exporting? Also, what program are you exporting to? Some do not handle n-gons and may convert n-gons to triangles on import.

> #3 I use wings 3D as one of my modeling tools...it does not import .obj exported from
> MOI (it crashes)...any ideas why.

It looks to me like a bug in Wings3D. Could you please send them a bug report and see what they say?

> #4 Does MOI have support for material/ UV Mapping for its models. How is it done...

MoI will automatically apply UV mapping coordinates to all objects, which will follow each NURBS surface. For version 1.0 of MoI there isn't any way to further edit the mapping or apply different materials, for now you have to do that in a rendering-oriented program. I do plan on adding this in to MoI in the future though.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1246.5 In reply to 1246.4 
Michael -

I just want to add my vote for #4.

I spent the weekend playing with various UV mapping tools and free render packages looking for a way to easily apply materials to various surfaces of an object.

SeparateOBJ.exe is a workaround, but the ability to select surfaces within MoI and assign even basic materials would be ideal.

For example, I created a diamond ring in Moi, saved as OBJ, and ran SeparateOBJ.exe. Imported into HyperShot and had to reassign the same material to each facet of the diamond. I could have exported the ring, bezel, and diamond as separate objects and make just one material assignment to each, but that would mean re-aligning all three objects in HyperShot. That is a very difficult process.

A basic material assignment and grouping function within MoI would be at the top of my wish list :)

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1246.6 In reply to 1246.5 
Hi Ed, this is going to be part of the object organization and object property tools which are going to be a major focus for version 2.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All