MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: OBJ Importer Plugin - how to install - how to use?

2 Mar 2019   [#1]
Hi,
I downloaded the obj. import plugin. I placed it: C:\Program Files (x86)\MoI 3.0\commands

But - if I try to import a obj.-file it does not work. I mean...there is no way to open it...I´ll become mad...

What to do? What´s wrong...
2 Mar 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
...how to call the external obj-script? I saw a tutorial and in this MOI GUI I saw a "external Scripts" button. But here in MOI3 I do not have such a button...Why?
2 Mar 2019   [#3]
Normally you have just to Press Tab and write the name without extension of the command file.js that you have loaded!

so _importObj if you have loaded the file _ImportObj.js

you can make also a shortcut with _importObj on the right column
you can write _ImportOBJ, _ImportObj, _IMPORTobj etc...but whitout spaces!
2 Mar 2019   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Lara (MALA)

The third method to run an add-on script is with the "external scripts" icon button, (two meshing gears), at the bottom of the MoI screen.
This requires Max's CustomUI to be installed, and also that the desired script be copied to MoI3's command folder.
(Max's convention of preceding every add-on command with _ was for myself to keep track of them, versus stock commands.)

A very useful feature of MoI4Beta is that the add-on script can be copied instead to a different folder.
This permits using the "stock" MoI4Beta commands folder for standard commands, and entering add-on scripts in the separate folder.
Then upgrading to a new MoI4Beta, is super easy. All of the "extras" are available, and do not need a re-install. (add-on scripts, customUI, nodeeditor, lighting, etc.)

For Windows the secondary folder is located in the %AppData% path.

For Mac the secondary folder is located:
"... - it's in the user Library: ~/Library/Application Support/Moi or /Users/[your user name]/Library/Application Support/Moi , not the system one."
(http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7713.779)

- Brian
Hopefully this information is accurate :-)
2 Mar 2019   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Lara, there are some instructions on how to install a plug-in script and also how to invoke it in the FAQ here:
http://moi3d.com/faq#Q:_How_do_I_install_a_plug-in_script.3F

- Michael
2 Mar 2019   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Lara, also another note - .obj files contain polygon mesh data. That's where the model is made out of a potentially very large number of small flat facets.

MoI is not designed to work with such data for modeling, MoI is focused on making models using spline surfaces where something like a sphere is one single smooth surface instead of hundreds or even thousands of little flat fragments.

So often the data contained in an . obj file is not suitable for importing into MoI. You would need to use a polygon mesh editing program to edit .obj files like that instead of MoI. That is also described in the FAQ as well here: http://moi3d.com/faq#Q:_Why_can_I_export_to_.obj_format.2C_but_cannot_read_.obj_format_into_MoI.3F .

One exception that is new in the v4 beta is that if the .obj file is configured to be used with subdivision surface smoothing, MoI v4 can import that using the new SubD > Create > "From file" method. So if you have an object that is intended to be used with SubD you can use the v4 beta to convert that type of .obj file into a model inside MoI.

- Michael
7 Mar 2019   [#7]
Thank you all!!!
And sorry for the late answer. Didn´t notice that you helped me meanwhile. No message was sent to me.
Because I switched to V4 I was able to manage what I intended to do...
Thanks and cheers...
7 Mar 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Lara, the e-mail from the forum doesn't work too well, but in this case it tried to send you an e-mail but your e-mail server returned an error message:

552-Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation

- Michael
13 Mar 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,
just saw your message.
I´m fine meanwhile. I use now v4 and can handle the obj. without problems.
Cheers, Lara