MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: chamfer calculation stuck

19 Oct 2018   [#1]
Hi All,
I wonder if more people experience this or I'm doing something wrong.

I selected all upper faces of attached sign and hit chamfer.
Set size (no preview shown) and hit DONE my mouse just shows like PC is working but nothing happens.
No extra noticeable CPU usage and model can be moved while it still shows "calculating..."

This also happens when I select only one letter and 'use 2 distances' option.

Chamfer size is not ridiculously high.

Regards,
Juraj

Image Attachments:
calculating.PNG 

19 Oct 2018   [#2]
Now with source file to try yourselves.
:)

Attachments:
hsh.3dm

19 Oct 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mr. Yuri, so chamfer and fillet have to do a lot of quite complex calculations and if your geometry that you are working with is not relatively simple it can make it difficult to chamfer or fillet. Text can often be a complex case to fillet because it tends to have areas with small edges and tight bends in it. Fonts can also often have kind of messy geometry in them which doesn't really effect their main job for 2D display but becomes a problem when using it as a 3D object.

Some problematic areas in your case are some tiny edges in various spots like this:

Tight bends in a small area like this will also make it difficult to chamfer things because the chamfer or fillet surface will end up bunching up on itself and be self intersecting:

Another potentially problematic thing is the segmentation, note that on your extrusion there are lots of vertical edges like these:

That's happening because the curves you are extruding are made up of lots of smaller segmented pieces. That can also make filleting or chamfering more difficult because it tries to make one surface for each of those edges and especially if they are not smooth to each other they have to be extended and intersected with each other. The fillet engine in the geometry library that MoI uses isn't too good at handling cases that need that type of processing, so you may get better results with another CAD program that has more advanced filleting in its geometry library. OnShape and ViaCAD are some good helper programs to try in that category. But they are also going to have problems with some of these same situations like small edges and tightly curved edges.

So it's going to be a pretty difficult job to chamfer that, it will need quite a bit of cleanup work to try and make it possible. Probably the first step would be to try and reduce segmentation by selecting your curves, using Edit > Join to join the segments into longer curves and running the Rebuild command to merge tangent segments into longer segments:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild

After doing that you should see a lot fewer vertical edges on an extrusion, that is one kind of simplification because there will be a lot less fillet surfaces being created and less areas where they have to get connected up with each other.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
juraj_chamfer_text1.jpg  juraj_chamfer_text2.jpg  juraj_chamfer_text3.jpg  juraj_chamfer_text4.jpg  juraj_chamfer_text5.jpg 

19 Oct 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thanks Michael for detailed analysis, explanation and proposed workaround.
I really appreciate that.