MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Lofting question

Show messages: All  1  2-8

14 Oct 2018   [#2]
Hi Andrew,

i would really suggest that you download the trial of MoI. In MoI it is very easy to create
solid letter shapes, either by using MoI's command "Draw solid/Text" which gives you
plenty of options, or by simply importing pdf/ai outlines of your letters. You don't have
to use the loft command for this.

Regards
Stefan
14 Oct 2018   [#3]
Well, for curved or rounded front faces of your letter then this is i a different
story... Hope i understood the use of lofting, in your case, properly...

Regards
Stefan
14 Oct 2018   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andrew, the term "Loft" in MoI means to construct a surface between 2 or more cross section curves, as shown here:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#loft

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about converting 2D curves into solids by what in MoI is called Extrude, as in here:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#extrude

So to put your question in terms used by MoI, I think you're asking if MoI is able to directly extrude a solid box from a line segment. The answer to that is no - you would need to make a rectangle curve first to extrude to a box. You can use the Construct > Offset command to generate a rectangle from a line segment though, and then extrude that to a box.

For generating text as others mention above it's easiest to use Draw solid > Text will generate solid text from a font.

- Michael
27 Oct 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Michael
First, thank you for your reply. Next, apologies for the delay in my reply as I had been expecting an email to alert me that my forum query had been answered.
In any case, your information and links are quite useful.
Andrew
27 Oct 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Andrew, sorry yeah the e-mail notification part of the forum software isn't very reliable. Someday I would like to work on fixing that up.

- Michael
28 Oct 2018   [#7] In reply to [#2]
Stefan,
Many thanks for your reply. Sorry for my delay in thanking you, but I assumed I would be informed by email the someone had responded to my post.
Regards
Andrew
28 Oct 2018   [#8]
Hi Andrew,

no problem, have fun with MoI! :-)

Regards
Stefan

Show messages: All  1  2-8