MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Cage deformation?

Show messages:  1-6  7-26  27-29

26 Mar 2018   [#27] In reply to [#23]
Hi Dimitri,

> Moujik… I am aware of the think you say but as I said before, I would prefer not to begin with a ‘1’ unit
> indication but with the actual diameter length value and change it.

Please look at Moujik's example more closely because it's doing exactly what you're asking.

In that example he's not using the '1' unit indication scale factor input at all, he's using the "reference points" function in the Scale command to apply a scale between 2 distances. That's a feature in the Scale command that exists to handle exactly what you're asking for, so you can measure an existing length in your model (in this case the diameter length as you can see in Moujik's example) and match it to another desired length (in Moujik's example it's a point placed using distance constraint).

> Because even changing the whole ring’s dimensions –by using the upper right dialogue box
> (where the style and kind of object are indicated)- would require some ‘manual’ calculation
> for having the finger hole diameter precisely changed. But, anyway, this is not a so big
> problem... just putting it forth as an idea. : - )

This is exactly what using reference points in the Scale commands already provide. Instead of entering in a scale factor you can choose 2 lengths and MoI will calculate the needed scale factor for you. You can choose the lengths by snapping on to existing points in your model (good for capturing the existing diameter of your ring for example), or to enter in a numeric length use distance constraint which works in any drawing command to place a point at a specific distance away from a base point.

- Michael
26 Mar 2018   [#28] In reply to [#23]
Hi Dimitri, also using the reference points in Transform > Scale command to calculate the needed scale factor for you is covered in detail in the help file here:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#scale

- Michael
26 Mar 2018   [#29]
Ed... I have already the script you refer. Thanks, however, for reminding it.

Michael... thanks for your so dedicated answers, they are very precious!

Show messages:  1-6  7-26  27-29