MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Opening OBJ and STLs in MOI

Show messages:  1-20  21-29

19 Mar 2018   [#1]
Hi there all,
enjoying Moi. The best, not looking for the rest. Bravo Michael!

I have a question. Is it possible to open OBJ files and STLs. I mean, is there a way around and open them in MOI?
Thank you,
Rudy
20 Mar 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rudy,

Yes, you can install this great free script by Max Smirnov to import OBJ files:

http://moi.maxsm.net/item/18

The result will of course become NURBS, not actual polygons anymore, but you can use Max Smirnov's Subdiv tools to create a result like polygon subdivision modeling, then export it as a polygon format, including OBJ.

Regards,

Metin

———————

visualization • pixel art • illustration • 3D design — https://metinseven.com
20 Mar 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rudy, OBJ and STL files contain polygon mesh data, that's a type of 3D data made up of lots of little flat facets. So a sphere in one of those files is made up of many hundreds or even thousands of little flat pieces. MoI is not designed to work with that type of model data, MoI is focused on using spline surfaces so for example a sphere in MoI is created as just one sphere surface, not a whole bunch of little flat pieces.

So in general such files are not suitable for loading into MoI, you need to work with that type of data in a polygon mesh modeling program instead of in MoI. Trying to work with a model in MoI made up of hundreds of thousands of little polygons as individual trimmed spline surfaces results in a very heavy and unwieldy object.

If the polygons are relatively sparse then it could be possible in some cases to use Max's OBJ importer plug-in which you can get from his file archive site here: http://moi.maxsm.net/media/files/ , find the one labeled ImportObj.v.1.5.2015.09.10.zip and there are instructions for installing plug-ins here: http://moi3d.com/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_install_a_plug-in_script.3F

But again it's a different type of model data than what MoI is designed to work with.

- Michael
20 Mar 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thank you Metin & Michael.
Always a pleasure to be answered so quickly and so in details. Waiting for the release of V4, so Michael, keep up the good work, and thank you.
Sincerely,
Rudy
20 Mar 2018   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rudy,

for importing STLs you can try my script here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8860.1
20 Mar 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thank you Ralf. Will try.
I have tried Max's script, and I guess after MOI working for a while to open a 150000 file, did not show up anything. ...perhaps the model was too complex, or will try closing the several programs opened during that time.
Thank you very much to everyone. And to Michael.
Ciao,
Rudy
20 Mar 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Rudy, as I've mentioned above that type of dense polygon data isn't suitable for importing into MoI with an individual trimmed surface for each little polygon. NURBS solids are meant to have larger smooth trimmed surfaces and not hundreds of thousands of little flat facets.

You need to use a polygon mesh editing program to work with that type of 3D model data - MoI isn't the right tool for that task.

There are some specialized programs that can help to "reverse engineer" smooth surfaces from dense polygon scanned data, but it's a pretty difficult and involved process. See here for some links: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8460.2

- Michael
20 Mar 2018   [#8] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rudy, maybe you could describe what it is you are trying to do with these .obj and .stl files - like what is the goal you're trying to achieve by loading them into MoI? And maybe show an example of what the files look like. That might make it easier to give some better advice on possible options.

- Michael
20 Mar 2018   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael, thank you for all your time.

Actually, you are right on, no need to really to see them in MOI, as they are organic models, probably done in Zbrush or similar. As far the OBJ files, wanted to output them in STLs ready for printing. I was just curious to see them in MOI, as it is the only 3D program I am using. Thank you Michael for all the support and knowledge.
Ciao,
Rudy
20 Mar 2018   [#10] In reply to [#8]
Michael -

Speaking from my own experience, there have been times I've wanted to 3D print a free model from Thingiverse.com. Usually the only file format that is published is STL. Often I want to modify the model to fit my own requirements, so I end up creating my own model in MoI. I'm talking about models that are mechanical in nature rather than organic shapes. It's difficult because you have to somehow derive all the dimensions from a picture. If the STL can be brought into MoI it can at least serve as an accurate guide for drawing new curves and constructing the model with NURBS.

Ed Ferguson
20 Mar 2018   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Ed, I'm kind of hesitant to focus on that type of reverse engineering workflow because STL triangulated data would need to be represented as a different category of object in MoI and that brings a lot of issues with people wondering why their imported STL data doesn't behave the same or interact with other regular objects drawn in MoI.

It will probably happen eventually.

- Michael
21 Mar 2018   [#12]
Hi all,

what i don't quite understand with brining in an .stl model and the request for .stl import,
why don't people use not the free Meshlab and import there the .stl and save as .obj?

Meshlab is such a well known software in 3D circles.

Regards
Stefan
21 Mar 2018   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hello Stefan!

@You : "...why don't people..."

Hmmm...good question :)

I totally agree with you!
21 Mar 2018   [#14] In reply to [#12]
Thank you Stefan
21 Mar 2018   [#15]
You're welcome Rudy.

Regards
Stefan
21 Mar 2018   [#16] In reply to [#5]
I was not able to get the script to run. Am I doing something wrong?

Image Attachments:
180321_1202.jpg  180321_1203.jpg 

21 Mar 2018   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi MichaelT, it looks like you've got it set up ok there. What folder have you placed those 2 files "_STLimport.htm" and "_STLimport.js" into though?

- Michael
22 Mar 2018   [#18] In reply to [#17]
In here:

Image Attachments:
180322_0658.jpg 

22 Mar 2018   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Mmmh,
seems to be the right place for _STLimport.htm and _STLimport.js...

FOR MOI V4 BETA FEB-09-2018

What happens if you write _STLimport into the console?

Image Attachments:
Ohne Titel.png 

22 Mar 2018   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Tried that too. Nothing. No error, just nothing happens.

Show messages:  1-20  21-29