MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to engrave lines

Show messages: All  1-15  16-19

8 Nov 2020   [#16] In reply to [#9]
Hi Gord,

re:
> That looks to work for some reason.

The reason is what I wrote earlier - the top of that new one is not skimming right along the same surface area as the top of the other object so it doesn't have to try and resolve a complex intersection between 2 surfaces that are overlapping over top of each other.

re:
> However, I can't reproduce that over the whole surface. How can a flat object be 'bent to fit'?

The Transform > Deform > Flow command can be used to map a flat object onto a curved surface:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow

So for your case you would probably want to build a surface that is not pinched together at the ends, something like a sweep like this:

Then with a set of flat objects you can put a base plane around them like this:

And the Transform > Deform > Flow command can map them from the base plane onto the curved sweep surface:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gord_flow1.jpg  gord_flow2.jpg  gord_flow3.jpg 

8 Nov 2020   [#17]
After struggling with projecting lines from the planks, and extruding groves, I think that flow is a better/easier solution, adding the planks to the top of the curved deck.

The scale of the grooves should maybe be greater than a physical model, to reduce the size differential? Current planks look good.

The current deck might be drawn as single surface, with the edges smoother?

- Brian
8 Nov 2020   [#18]
Ah funny...never thought that was for a boat!:)
I had believed that will be for engrave something with letters!
So i will start for build an inversed boat's hull for have any form of engraving! :)

A boat floor deck is totally other thing!
I am not sure that the deck is longitudinally curvated!
It's generally flat! Flat inclined or domed laterally for evacuate water! ;)

9 Nov 2020   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Watching teak deck maintenance, repair and replacement is interesting.
The narrow teak planks are spaced with deliberate gaps. The gaps are filled with various materials, to prevent leaks. Oakum/pitch historically, with screws and bungs. Special caulk has been used. More recently, 9mm teak veneer, epoxy bonded, no screws nor bungs, with black epoxy filling the gaps. Steam bending.
- Brian

Show messages: All  1-15  16-19