How to automate creating something like this?

8088.5 In reply to 8088.3 
Hi Chipp, proof of concept worked, the result script is attached here as SelectIntersected.zip. To install it please refer to FAQ #1, How do I install a plug-in script?.

The script expects for you to have set up a grid of solids (can be any shapes, you'll want boxes I guess for your particular case, set this up by drawing one box and then using Transform > Array > Grid to repeat it), and then some closed 2D curves for the text, like this:

Then when you run the new SelectIntersected command, it will select all solids that either touched the 2D outline or were contained inside of it like this:

Or as seen from the Top view:

Since the selection will get anything even just slightly touching the curves it will expand quite a bit so I'd guess a bit slender and spaced text to start with would help keep the text a bit more recognizable, or bumping up the density of the grid too.

The script performs a boolean operation as part of how it works so it will take like 10 seconds or so to run, or longer with higher density grids.

I hope this helps! I've tried to do something similar before without success but just happened to have a good idea this time! :) Later I'll see if it's possible to do a 'strictly contained inside' variant.

Once you have the grid broken apart into 2 sets you can then scale up the inside set so it's taller and then maybe apply some random z movement to everything all in one go.

If it works out I'd love to see what your result looks like!

- Michael

EDIT: see here for a more generalized version that works on both curves and solids:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=11230.5
The one here only works on solids.

EDITED: 23 Oct 2023 by MICHAEL GIBSON