Do you feel it?

4363.93 In reply to 4363.91 
Hi Mike,

> Thanks Michael, I can't wait to see what you cook up!

Well like I said it may be a while, it's not quite a fit with the main "drawing/construction" type modeling metaphor that MoI is mostly focused on currently.

> Any chance of implementing something like this:

I've thought about something like that before, the thing I don't like is that it's starting to get the screen kind of filled up with handles and some of them can interfere with being able to select parts of the model:

One thing that's really nice about the 2D edit frame is that it's very low profile - going to the outside of the current selection and not having too many hot spots on it. That's basically what makes it possible for it to just be on all the time without causing problems. Something like you are showing there largely loses these qualities...

Also the corners of a 3D box frame like that can kind of be located a fair ways away from the main part of the object, kind of not giving much room to move them around unless you zoom out kind of a ways.

Still it could be a possible thing in the future - those negative aspects that I described above would basically mean that it would have to be something that you could turn on and off easily instead of just being on all the time though, and needing to turn on and off means having some additional UI to control it, and adding in additional easily available UI is something I'm conservative about since that's how you end up with a zillion buttons and a complex UI, by adding a lot of stuff to it...

> The handles are designed to appear only in a flat
> projection, but I see that the rotation controls are there
> also there in 3D mode... how'd he get so lucky?

If you click on the rotation handle instead of drag on it you'll get a tri-ball rotation widget that will show up in the 3D view as well until you click off of it somewhere. Also while you are in wheel mode you can relocate the rotation origin by dragging it to some particular point to rotate around that point.

More info on how the edit frame works here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#editframe

- Michael
Attachments: