how do I break a cube?

Next
I would like to break a cube randomly and am not sure how to achieve that with a convincingly looking outcome.
Anyone has any suggestions?
I've attached a little sketch to help explain what I mean.
Thanks all!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
915.2 In reply to 915.1 
Make a cube
Make a sphere
Sculpt the sphere
Make Booleean Diff Cube -Sphere
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
915.3 In reply to 915.1 
Hi Moose, it can be tough to do random-looking things in MoI, randomness tends to work better in a polygon mesh modeler, since it is easier in a polygon modeler to disturb points while keeping the model all connected together.

But here's one method that may work for you in MoI:

First, I went to the front view and used Draw curve / Freeform / Sketch to draw a few curves that kind of take a bite out of the cube - here I drew 3 of them:

Then select these curves and use Construct / Revolve to make solids from them - for the revolve axis, draw an angled line above them like this:

That will create this result:

You can now delete the curves. Select all the revolved solids with a window select, and drag them to reposition them so they just intersect a corner of the cube:

Now select the cube, and run Construct / Boolean / Difference to cut the cube by the revolved surfaces, this will take bites out of the corner of the cube:

If you repeat this process with more sketch curves going in kind of the other direction from the side view instead of the front view, you should be able to get a kind of cross-hatching of gouges in there which seems pretty close to what you are looking for.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All