intel HD4000

Next
Hi,

I just would like to collect some valuable feedback and experience with intel HD 4000. I would very appreciate for it.

Yes :), I know dedicated GPUs are always better - many people are just saying usually, but with no experience - But what is the limit of intel iGPU? How complex should the model be regarding Moi and Rhino?

I would like to buy a new better built laptop. Old one has an Geforce 310M but it works fine anyway I am very satisfied with its performance anyway but at this time I cannot find any good that has features I need.

Thanks in advance,
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5787.2 In reply to 5787.1 
Hi Andras - definitely the Intel integrate graphics have been improving steadily over the past 5 years or so, it seems like they are still not quite up to the same performance as ATI or nVidia dedicated graphics but they're not as grossly far away as they used to be, the performance gap used to be pretty severe.

> But what is the limit of intel iGPU? How complex should the model be regarding Moi and Rhino?

It's difficult to say exactly totally in the abstract - it depends on a variety of factors including the specifics of the particular project's structure. It's not uncommon for edge drawing to be a major limiting factor which can depend on CPU performance as well.

But it does seem that the most recent Intel integrated GPUs are not as limited as previous ones as far as scene complexity.

If you know that you are going to be doing especially heavy projects it might still be an issue.

You might try to find some benchmarks that compare it with your current Geforce 310M so that you could have some comparison to what you're already using.

According to here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-310M.22439.0.html it puts the Geforce 310M in its lowest Class 4 group and puts the HD 4000 in the next category up from that (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html) , so if that's accurate if your current Geforce 310M is doing good enough for you, the HD 4000 ought to be ok as well I would think.

Of course the best way to know is to actually test it. Sometimes good hardware can also be ruined by poor driver quality as well, so again it's hard to judge things precisely in an abstract manner.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5787.3 In reply to 5787.2 
can't comment on Rhino, but I'm running MoI fine on a 2011 Mac mini , which uses a Intel HD Graphics 3000 chip. :)

the only time I have problems is when I push MoI past it's 2GB memory limit :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks Michael and stevecim,

I have already bought a new machine with dual graphics intel HD 4000 and Nvidia 620M namely a Lenovo T430u. As I tried an old scene and I must say it works very well! Performance is still acceptable. Haswell is also comming so it looks intel graphics chips will bring a bright future in graphics design in a compact machine.

regards
Andras
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All