Majik Tutorial: The Turbine-Style Sports Rim
 1-20  21-40  41-46

Next
Hi gang, I finally get to produce another Moi3D tutorial! It's been a few months.

Make this pro-looking "Turbine"-style sports car rim with tire:

This model will make good use of some of the newly added features to MoI V3's Beta.
This tutorial's purpose is to only give the modeler some pointers and inspiration.
I can't guarantee that following this tutorial will yield the same result or be free of the many pitfalls and glitches common to a NURBS modeling.

First draw a circle in TOP View. I suggest working everything to real-world dimensions.

To make our fairly complex "turbine" shape, we'll be stating off by actually editing a NURBS surface!
NURBS surfaces are defined by control point grids and trimmed edges, so we'll need to define an 'N'-number of control points to work with.

The circle you create will be made with a pre-set number of control points. Twelve in this case.

Enter the word 'Rebuild' in the command entry field at the bottom of the MoI interface.
I suggest assigning a keyboard shortcut to 'Rebuild'. I use [Alt-R].

NOTE: Looking at the model example above, the main turbine shape has five "mags" or pillars and five holes.
The number of control points and the ratio of points selected and not selected will determine the number of pillars and their relative shape.

In this case, I start off by Rebuilding the circle to have 20 points.

Go to FRONT View and draw a curve, starting from the center (origin) of the circle with a planned number of control points
and work your way to the side. A few extra points near each side with help buffer and define the points we need to work with.

Let's Revolve by Rail... Select the curve and use the circle as the rail. The center origin will be the axis.

Show Points to see the control point/grid structure of the new circle plane.

Here is where your personal touch comes in... Note the picture below: I've selected concentric groupings of points in the
structure that have a logical arrangement to them. Leave at lease two radial rows unselected - in the inner and outer regions -
to act as a buffer and also at least one 'spoke' line (from center on outwards) of points unselected.

In the Z direction, Move those selected points away from the normal of the surface (as shown). The distance is not critical.

Notice that there is now some kind of dip in the new ridges. We don't want them in this model, so select the adjacent un-moved
point groupings in the 'spoke' areas.

Move those in Z upwards until the ridges levels out.

We are now ready to give this new "(baking) pan" shape that 'turbine' look.
Trust me with this... We need two cones, so use the defining circle of the shape to make a cone that is the same diameter and
is planted right at the top surface of the shape.

Make a copy of the cone and move it above, but don't forget to delete the bottom plane circles that cap the cones.
We just need the cones.

Using Moi3D's Version 3 Beta - We are going to twist the top cone along its total center axis from the point to the center
of the bottom circle. I used 60 degrees, but this is up to the modeler.

Now go to the FRONT View and use the handle-bars to [FLAT]ten the cones!

Inspect the point structure of the two cones. The top surface has a 'spiral' pattern and the bottom one has a version of the
special kind of cage that makes simple revolved primitives. This is what we want.

This is where we use the Flow tool... Please study my tutorial: "Twirl (or Whirlpool) An Object using V3's Flow Command on a Revolved Surface"
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4647.1

Select the pan shape object and execute the Flow command. Select a relative area near the seam or side edge of the reference surface.
The 'reference' surface is the bottom circle nested on top of the pan shape. The 'target' surface is the spiraled circle at the top.
Note the new twirled version of the pan shape.

Now to use the V3 Beta's Twist tool again: Twist the pan shape via its center origin axis and do so at about a third of the spiral twist.
I used 20 degrees of Twist.

An enclosed "pan" is good if you want to make models of kitchen utensils, but we want to make pillars for a tire rim.
Draw a line from FRONT View where you want to cut the bottom parts off of the shape.

Use Trim to cut the bottom regions off of the shape. You'll now have holes!

Here is where things could get tricky... If you were going for a complete model, you would need to define some thickness to this shape.
You could do it with Offset, but when I tried, the results were not good.

So we'll need to "fake the funk" and create some way to give the appearance of thickness.
Which is all we need if we are only just to use this model for rendering and concept creation.

Select the hole edge trim curve and just Offset it. This will be your mock thickness.

Another NEW MoI3D V3 tool! :-)
Extrude the offset curve using the "Tapered" Draft feature. Use an angle that approximated the tapered quality of the shape's opening.

Make Circular Array copies of this drafted extrusion to match the openings arrangement.

Use the Blend tool to create a bridged surface.

Join those surfaces, and now you have thick areas to the opening areas of the shape that may show up in a rendering.

Unless you are happy with this cool 'star' shape at the center of the rim, we need to re-construct something nice looking there.
You can simply first cut a small area by trimming a circle - but I thought this would be a good time to use the NEW MoI V3 tool:
Trim by Isocurve!

Make a profile curve to match something you would like to see in the middle. Revolve it.

Lower it down to where it will look nice, but keep it somewhat just above the shape's remaining parts.

We need to use Blend here, but maybe it would be a good idea to rotate the Revolved shape so that the seams match.

Use a G2 mode Blend between the two edges. NICE HUH!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Now we need to put some lug bolts near the center. If you know the proper measurements, this is the time to mark the correct positions,
I tried different configurations and shapes for places to put the lug bolts, but I found that a round shape would match the curvy shape
of this rim. Create a circle that is larger than what the bolt would occupy.

I've extruded the circle down through the rim's surface.

Fillet the top of the new cylinder.

I will not explain how to make the part shown here. This is where your skills and creativity come in... ;-)

Make your lug bolts or caps... You can use the ever popular example at this linked post to learn how to best make your own:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5062.8

Move the assembly down, so that the mid-surface region of the top fillet sinks into the rim object surface.

...as shown here.

Copy these assemblies around your model by using Circular Array, using the origin as the center from the TOP View.

We need to now 'marry' the lug receptacle shape group with the rim's surface.
It will be easier if you separate the main set of objects from this part...

Results will vary... I used Boolean Merge to intersect/trim the two sets of surfaces with each other.
They are not enclosed solids, but compound surfaces, so this gets tricky. There are also other adjacent surfaces that complicate things.
You can try combinations of other Boolean modes plus some copy and paste, but intersecting a curve between surfaces
and Trimming them from each other will work as well.

You may have possible corruption and artifacts that will take a bit of patience to work with...

...Noting the bottom of the model, there are a lot of scraps. Some are quite corrupted. Select and and delete these.

Join these main surfaces together...

Notice that I arranged these shapes to be trimmed within pretty opened areas away from sharply angled and densely populated seam areas.
...For Fillets - seams baaaad!

A G2 Fillet did a nice job on smoothing the 'lug receptacle' object into the rim's main surface.
There are some glitchy areas. I think by this Beta release, there were issues with some edges of Fillets,
but they are almost not noticeable in this example.
When you Fillet around odd angles and joined edges with poor continuity you'll often run into issues. This is to be expected.

Join your lug receptacle's guts back to the main surface.

The major rim is now completed. Looks nice...

We'll now get to use the Image command in the View tab.
Here, we'll derive a real-world shape configuration for our model using a diagram found on-line.

Draw a profile for the main rim's shape.

Revolve this profile.

Blend the rim's surface shape and the revolved body shape together by making a Blend between the two edges.
Join them together once made.

Very good! This is your basic completed car rim model.

Now lets throw a tire (tyre) on this rim.

Create a profile shape for this that represents a cross section of your tire.
There should be a slight arc to the tread-face of the tire. This 'bulge' becomes relatively flat
once weighted on the road's surface with proper inflation pressure.

We'll plan on flowing all kinds of tready goodness to the shape we wish to Revolve.
In my experience, and with Michael's help, I've found that the Flow operation works more consistently between the reference and target shape
if the associated profile curves have been Rebuilt using the "Refit" mode. In "Refit" mode, the curve and its hidden 'weighting' attributes are better
dispersed. This spatial dispersion translates to any surfaces created from these curves.

Revolve this shape... Right after Revolving this profile, you can use its history to tweak the overall shape and proportions of the tire body.

Time to Flow the tire detail!

You say, "all you gotta do is make some tread parts and flow it".
Well, we at least have to make sure that what me make on the flat reference surface looks roughly the same
when we flow it around the circular surface.

The best way to ensure that is to make the reference surface the same dimensions as the revolved surface, if the revolved surface was rolled flat.

Here is a good use for the new Isocurves command:
Sweep the Isocurves preview around somewhere in the middle of the revolved object with "both" directions in action.

Now we simply use a little script of Michael's called UnwrapCurve:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5136.1

When done to the result of each isocurve creation, we will know the exact physical dimensions of the revolved surface.

Here we create a 'reference' Plane in the same dimensions.

Once you create a pattern for the treads and additional objects like recessed type - once Flowed to the revolved surface,
the result should be very close in proportions to the dimensions you designed them in.

Keep in mind that while the tread itself would be best made from actual NURBS objects, subtler details like
sidewall type might be best done as flat co-planar objects, with each object of both the type and the tire surface given a different materials
in the rendering program. For instance, the tire material itself could be made with a dull rubber-like material
with a little 'displacement' and the recessed type could have a flatter, slightly glossy rubber material.

In my example shown here, the tread and associated type were cut into smaller more manageable sub-sections.
Flow may have a better 'go' at working these smaller regions rather than having to negotiate a large surface with many compounded
and trimmed sub-objects. (Additional copying and trimming in this example was done prior to Flowing.)

And here you can see the immediate result of the Flow operation on the revolved tire object.

This is pretty much the final product of my tutorial for the "Turbine"-style car rim and tire.
From here on, you could add smaller details to your own model such as a Schlader valve and those little
'nublets' that stick out like short porcupine quills on brand new tires. And then followed up with even larger elements such
as disc brakes and other car parts.

The above final pic was made using multiple photoshop superimposements from MoI's UI screen capturing script
along with different lighting combinations.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.3 In reply to 5470.2 
Another cool one Mike, nice use of the "vortex" style radial flow!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Nicely done mike .... The rim is certainly created in a way that i have not seen before, so i guess that shows the unique way of your thought process there, the tyre sent me racing back to my childhood and Meccano® kits, love it, well done.

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.5 In reply to 5470.2 
Very cool.. (again)

Thanks for the tut...

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ah cool Tut :)
Will be translated in French as soons as possible :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wow Mike - you really take MoI to a whole new level!

BTW - If you post the obj I'll render a quick animation for you.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
(long day...)

Thanks guys!!!
Can you see how I tried to use most of the new Version 3 features? ;-)

I really don't know how I managed to conjure up the idea of twirling an augmented NURBS surface, but I did have the general idea for the spiral-shaped rim in mind for a while. And up until the other day, I wasn't really sure how one could be made without a lot of surface editing with networks and sweeps.

The styling I came up with here for this rim has a really bubbly/swirly look. I took a look online of some nice rims out there and I have to tell you - the design detail that goes into some of them are a kin to designing jewelry, but on a larger scale. And then there is the structural and functional engineering!

> nice use of the "vortex" style radial flow!

Hi Michael - I think that the "whirlpoolizer" tool would be a wonderful addition to the Twist tool dialog. ...an extra button or check-box on the Twist dialog window.
I know they are different animals, but that might be a logical place to add it. More as a related option-switch to Twist - so it doesn't have to become a new dedicated tool.

> ..the tyre sent me racing back to my childhood and Meccano® kits.

They were called "Erector Sets" here. I had a few sets myself. The tire also reminds me of the many of the Lego varieties. They were coveted items among me and my brothers' Lego collections.

> BTW - If you post the obj I'll render a quick animation for you. Ed

Ed, I'd be very gracious to see a nice render of the model. Thanks! An animation? WOW!

I posted the .3dm file and some really poly-heavy .obj files in a .zip file placed on MediaFire...
But new .obj's could be made from the provided .3dm's if lower poly levels were needed.

If any of you are interested in rendering or just taking a close look at the model - download this zip file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zpiuf7tv17me8ah/turbine-sports-rim-out.zip

EDITED: 23 Jun 2017 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.9 In reply to 5470.8 
Import. Apply 3 materials. Clcik render! (ooop's, 4 materials.....)
Image Attachments:
Size: 408 KB, Downloaded: 191 times, Dimensions: 1920x1080px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.10 In reply to 5470.9 
Nice but the rubber looks more like hard plastic than soft rubber.

I think it should look more like as seen on the attachment.

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)
Image Attachments:
Size: 461.9 KB, Downloaded: 135 times, Dimensions: 1280x800px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.11 In reply to 5470.10 
Anyone have a axle?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Cool render!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you Mike for this tutorial,hope you'll post on your website (it's easier for me if i need go there than explore all Moi's threads )
you technique can be useful in many other situations
I've opened your 3DM file than export in OBJ:i've found few areas where mesh is not regular (that's normal in complex surfaces)

this can generate artifacts when render so i choosed a complex lighting set-up:open space-sun-real asphalt floor and also applied a glossy white material for the rim
(i've just modeled 3 different rims and tires so i mounted my PIRELLI P7 on your rim)

i also did a close-up shot to see if appear any artifact:it's OK...although a not-perfect mesh
(maybe a stronger close-up should show the problem,but..you see the whole wheel or the car,not a little imperfection in a little area of the rim)

thanks again:M
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks guys!

Burr - Nice render!

Blade - Nice touch with the black coating and gold type!

M - I made note of that issue with the Fillet. I don't know if it's an error in the Fillet mechanism, of if the architecture of the surfaces I'm trying to fillet would naturally cause that type of discontinuity within the fillet result.

This might be a case where I would go back and replace the fillet with a series of blends.

Well, I think some kind of "match surface edges" tool would yield at least some help there.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.15 In reply to 5470.14 
re: fillet - that's probably the same issue mentioned here were closed fillets are not always smooth at their seam area:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5376.1

I do have a fix for that coming in the next v3 beta, hopefully it won't have any other side effects, we'll see.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.16 In reply to 5470.10 
""""""""Nice but the rubber looks more like hard plastic than soft rubber. """""""""

It's leather..........
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I managed to save the entries made within the last day for this post - I have included them below:

Mike

LoL.... ;-)

Ok French version is here :)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/jante.html

Amazing tutorial, I will try it as soon as I have some time.
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Marc

Thank you Marc!

It's just part of my teaching nature to share these wonderful techniques with anyone who wants to try them.

I had the idea for this model on my mind, but it wasn't until I set up the tutorial that I knew I could produce it.
So really, I learn some new skills at almost the same time others can learn with me.

I can't help but be a cheerleader for MoI! Every time Michael adds a new feature, I find the program's ability grows

ten-fold.

Merci Pilou!

Merci pour vos bons efforts d'orner mon tutoriels avec une si belle langue!
(Mon propre français est complètement affreux, ou non-existant, et mes résultats de traducteur sont encore plus

mauvais!) ;-)

Je désire que beaucoup plus d'artistes et créateurs puissent aussi découvrir ce magnifique programme informatique.

Ed, just to connect your very well done animation and render to this particular tutorial's post, I'll link it here:

Turbine-Style Sports Rim Animation - from Ed Ferguson

http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5476.1

View the video here:

https://vimeo.com/51462699

Awesome work Ed!

And Ed's post for the animation:

I animated Majik Mikes Turbine-Style Sports Rim from his OBJ file posted in his excellent tutorial at:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5470.1

Video rendered with the Element 3D plug-in for Adobe After Effects. Total render time: Eleven minutes without motion

blur & depth-of-field. Fifty-five minutes as seen in the video below with motion blur and depth-of-field.

Video:
https://vimeo.com/51462699

Still image below rendered in KeyShot.

Ed Ferguson

Nicely done ed

Martin

WOWWWW!!!! You made my model a movie star.
Awesome work Ed! =-D

I need to incorporate these renders in the tuts page soon.

Thanks for the comments Martin & Mike - Mike, link to the sources, or contact me and I'll email the originals in case

you do your own hosting.

I've never used Vimeo before and I'm happy how the upload turned out, especially because my mp4 video was not rendered

as large as the Vimeo screen. I was expecting to see some pixalation or artifacts, but it looks about as good as the

original - just a slight loss of sharpness due to the enlargement. I've always read that Vimeo video was higher quality

than You Tube - now I know.

Ed

i Ed,

I've incorporated a video window in my tuts page: http://www.k4icy.com/tutorials.html

Man, does that add the million-dollar touch!

Thanks again!
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.18 In reply to 5470.17 
Thanks Mike for restoring the replies in this thread!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5470.19 In reply to 5470.18 
hahaha well you could have delete my "LoL" post :-)

But nice to see the posts back again,

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Ed,

I realized your one render was submitted as a MoI post:
but I keep everyone done of my tutorials! ;-)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-46