Majik Primer: MoI's Lighting Options and You!
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-69

Next
One of the few often overlooked features of Moment of Inspiration is its ability to allow the user to customize a handful of environment lighting options.
The use of DirectX in the shading and on-screen render of it's model makes MoI unique in a class by itself, giving it the capability to anti-alias its curves and outline,
not to mention its user-customizable mesh angle allowing for comparatively screaming speeds.

Often, when I look at the UI screen shots presented by other MoI users, I notice the "out of the box" appearance of the model rendering.
It is fair to say that since MoI was designed for the ease and comfort of its user's modeling, the UI lighting and shading must be geared towards ease of viewing and legibility.
Of course, If it's your MoI, you get to use Lighting Options setting that is overall most comfortable to you.

What I want to present here, is that just by changing a few simple variables in MoI, your objects can take on new appearances and thus, you can enjoy a fuller experience in your modeling.

If you are new to theses settings in MoI, try the following: Go to the MoI Options dialog (the yellow gear symbol at the bottom right of the screen).
Click on the "View" tab at the left of the dialog. Click on the button marked "Lighting Options".

Go ahead and write down you current settings, just in case you mess them up.

There are a few variables here:

1) Lighting Styles: In lighting Styles you have a list of pre-sets in a drop-down list box.
Each of these were carefully chosen to give you a broad range of lighting options.
Choose the "Custom Key + Fill Levels" to have access to all the settings.

2) Key Light Level [0-1] There is a numerical value box to the right. You do NOT have to remain within the restricted range of the slider bar.
Larger or more precise values can be entered in the box.

What is "Key Light"?

Wikipedia has a good in-depth explanation of Key Light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_light

Basically, "The purpose of the key light is to highlight the form and dimension of the subject."
You can think of it as your main intense illumination source - like the lamps in a room. This light is not so ambient.
They tend to be brighter and without them the room would be dark.

I can't say for certain if MoI follows the more specific lighting rules for rendering the model to the video card, but it is a good approximation.

3) Fill Light Level [0-1] Again, you can enter something larger or more specific in the value box.

What is "Fill Light"?

See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_light

(Fill Light) "may be used to reduce the contrast of a scene and provide some illumination for the areas of the image that are in shadow...
The fill light is often softer and, by definition, less intense than the key light."

This may not be exactly true for the technical use of Fill Light in MoI, but it helps to bring your objects more out of the darkness.
Fill light can be thought of as more of an indirect or ambient light source.

4) Specular Highlight This option can be active or non-active.

"Specular" means "reflection", which in MoI's case relates to a sharp and bright reflection of some intense light source. This is a procedural addition of a mock reflected point(s) of light.
Specular highlights give objects a more "shiny" or "slick" appearance and can more bring a sense of depth to them.

5) (Specular) Brightness This will set the level of "reflection" or intensity of the procedural specular lighting effect.
The lower the setting the more of the object's original surface will be shown, the higher the stronger the reflection image.
6) (Specular) Focus Size This setting cause the reflection to be either more diffused (with lower settings)
or more sharp and defined in appearance (with higher settings). If you have ever heard anything about what "gamma" is to an image,
the relative areas closer to the light reflection image will grow in brightness as the Focus Size value is decreased. The reflection will diffuse and grow.

Please note this chart:

You can go higher in variable values, but you get the idea.

If you have the settings just right (like in the "Wax" example) it appears that there is some kind of room or effect that mimics ocular occlusion, or darker areas.

I would like to make a feature request for a future version of MoI, if is possible to allow for the use of an HDR image to be used as a specular lighting source.

THE ABOVE FOUR SETTINGS ARE INTERACTIVE AND RELATIVE!

Changing the Key and Fill levels will drastically effect the interplay with the Specular lighting effect. Some of the values altered as low as in the 1000's place of the decimal
will have a noticeable change, where as many time you may notice no real change.

7) Metallic Lighting A effect added for coolness, this setting applies a procedural darkening of dark areas and intensifying of lighter areas in a pattern relative to the viewing position.
With this an added depth is created that gives the effect of some type of incidence of reflection action on your model.

8) Fixed Light Positions As it says, MoI's lights (which you cannot see directly) can either remain in fixed positions
or can move with your virtual camera viewpoint, as in the "Headlight" option. A fix lighting source will give the model a sense of spatial realism,
where a lighting source moving with respect to your camera will allow you higher visibility for working with specific areas of your model.

Can you pre-program a keyboard shortcut with some kind of script so that you can go back and forth with different style of lighting?
Yes you can! See Michael's explanation of how to do this here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2907.1
You will find scripts provided below, that when plugged in to the Keyboard shortcut list may allow you to obtain the same look as the associated example.

Please look in Moi3D's Resources section for links that may help you set other useful creature-comfort settings - Like Petr's MoI page: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/

I hope this gives some of you a better idea on how to take advantage of MoI's powerful Lighting Options.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ALSO NOTE: There are a few other settings found in the Options dialog that can make modeling more comfortable on the eyes (or more interesting).
I set "Edge Coloring" to "Darkening" at 0.32 which allows the surface curves to be more visible, especially when using mid-level colored object material settings.
Also, as you may notice with other high-end 3D modeling programs, the background is often a darker gray. In art design,
this is done to bring out more color depth and object visibility to your work.
I noticed that the default setting is nearly white. This is indeed "bright and cheery", and works with the natural darkness of MoI's object shading, but yes,
you are allowed to change this Background color in your Options dialog.
I also changed my Hidden Lines to solid (they were dashed). This was a personal preference and is set in the .ini file.
The dashes were hard to discriminate for tinier objects.

Below are some example of the different looks you can achieve just with a few easy tweaks.

I created this strange looking model shown for the purpose of reflecting the light sources in different ways.
It looks like some kind of crystal-powered back massager, but it was really just a free-form object using Sweeps, Blends and a Flow.

You can find a .3DM file for my lighting test widget here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cmeoo15qosb9i8z/lighting_options_test_widget_01.3dm

Phlatt5th has provided this handy .PDF version if the following Lighting Options:
Please download: http://moi3d.com/forum/get_attachment.php?webtag=MOI&hash=8a6a02426a8fd81b41eda15ea9a6f97e&filename=Moi3D_Lighting%20options_Scripts.pdf
for your reference.

Install the LightingThemes script by Dinos!

Visit the post below:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5222.43
for the script link and usage instructions.

(Original post: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5222.25)

Thanks to Dinos, you can now access all of the UI Lighting Option configurations (in this thread) - in one easy drop-down list.

This very useful script can be brought up by key command!

Here are my pre-made lighting combinations ::::

You can use Dino's script to access them when you wish, or program each mini-script (listed under pic) as a favorite key command.

Aluminum:

Lighting options for Aluminum - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Aluminum */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'MoreFill'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.38; v.specularFocusSize = 0.73; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

Car Body:

Lighting options for Car Body - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Car Body */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.65; v.specularFocusSize = 1.5; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.24; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.97;

Chrome:

Lighting options for Chrome - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Chrome */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'Headlight'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 50.0; v.specularFocusSize = 2.0; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

Clay:

Lighting options for Clay - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Clay */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.11;  v.specularFocusSize = 0.4; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.52; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.41;

Draft:

Lighting options for Draft - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Draft */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.3;  v.specularFocusSize = 0.16; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 2.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 2.0;

Dramatic:

Lighting options for Dramatic - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Dramatic */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'KeyOnly'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.14; v.specularFocusSize = 0.44; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

Glass:

Lighting options for Glass - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Glass */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'Hemispheric'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 80.0; v.specularFocusSize = 10.0; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

Porcelain:

Lighting options for Porcelain - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Porcelain */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.28; v.specularFocusSize = 2.0; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.08; v.customFillLightLevel = 1.0;

Rubber:

Lighting options for Rubber - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Rubber */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'MoreFill'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.4; v.specularFocusSize = 0.6; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

I am welcome to your lighting examples and any additional wisdom on MoI's lighting...
Please let me know of any errors.

Please visit my MoI tutorials at: http://www.k4icy.com/tutorials.html
Clic ici pour la version Française... http://www.k4icy.com/tutorials_fr.html

Enjoy! :-)

EDITED: 23 Jun 2017 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.3 In reply to 5222.2 
Thanks Mike... :-)

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Another technic one to translate :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.5 In reply to 5222.2 
Really cool overview and graphics Mike! Thanks for preparing all those images that show the settings used right on each one, that is a great guide!

I want to add a kind of "View mode" switch in the UI that will make it easier to switch between some different lighting and display styles, probably including some different kinds of diagnostic display modes as well as different lighting styles.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.6 In reply to 5222.5 
Thanks Michael, I hope my examples serve to add even more enjoyment to the MoI user's modeling experience.

I couldn't really find too many (if any) examples out there of what could be done with the lighting, so I took it upon myself to 'grope' around the settings.
The option values can be so fickle with a lot of interplay.

Future modes and UI settings, now I'm really excited! :-) We may yet get Zebras!

Showroom Shine:

Lighting options for Showroom Shine - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Showroom Shine */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'LessFill'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.3; v.specularFocusSize = 1.0; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

Wax:

Lighting options for Wax - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Wax */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.9; v.specularFocusSize = 1.5; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.08; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.982;

Wetsuit:

Lighting options for Wetsuit - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Wetsuit */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'Hemispheric'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.19; v.specularFocusSize = 1.5; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.0;

Additional (More Sinister) lighting combinations added Oct. 2013...

Enamel:

Lighting options for Enamel - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Enamel */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.37; v.specularFocusSize = 0.89; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 1.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 0.14;

Clear Coat:

Lighting options for Clear Coat - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Clear Coat */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.17; v.specularFocusSize = 1.0; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = true; v.customKeyLightLevel = -1.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 2.0;

High-Gloss Plastic:

Lighting options for High-Gloss Plastic - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for HighGloss Plastic */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 0.16; v.specularFocusSize = 0.62; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = -0.6; v.customFillLightLevel = 2.0;

Ornament:

Lighting options for Ornament - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Ornament */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 200.0; v.specularFocusSize = 3.0; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 1.07; v.customFillLightLevel = -0.6;

Onyx:

Lighting options for Onyx - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Onyx */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 90.0; v.specularFocusSize = 1.0; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.4; v.customFillLightLevel = -0.4;

Velvet Night:

Lighting options for Velvet Night - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Velvet Night */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 5000.0; v.specularFocusSize = 6.0; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = -4.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 1.0;

Zebra Stripe: (One Curvy Stripe ;-)

Lighting options for Zebra Stripe - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Zebra Stripe */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = true; v.specularBrightness = 200.0; v.specularFocusSize = 0.0; v.metallicLighting = true; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.6; v.customFillLightLevel = -0.5;

Solid:

http://k4icy.com/Moi3D_Tutorials/LO_Solid_fr.jpg (dans le français)
Lighting options for Solid - Script code:
script: /* Set lighting options for Solid */ var v = moi.view; v.lightingStyle = 'CustomLevels'; v.specularHighlights = false; v.specularBrightness = 0.0; v.specularFocusSize = 0.0; v.metallicLighting = false; v.fixedLightPositions = false; v.customKeyLightLevel = 0.0; v.customFillLightLevel = 10.0;

A simple solid shading with no specular or shadows. Used for applications where a (high pixel size) screen capture of the Moi view port can be Color Ranged in Photoshop or vector auto-traced in a layout program like CorelDRAW or Illustrator.
I will often create 3-D type or basic objects to be used in my graphic design, assigning unique color values to the sides and faces.

(Moi screen capture, auto-traced in vector layout program and assigned fills and outline strokes.)

For more complex graphics requiring edge detail I prefer to use Moi's PDF export feature, but PDF export does not (cannot) produce clean solid representative closed vector (EPS) faces that are view-dependent. This method has been a quick solution, and all that's required is to us Moi's screen capture script set for higher pixel dimensions.

EDITED: 26 Jul 2016 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.7 In reply to 5222.6 
Hi Mike,

> Future modes and UI settings, now I'm really excited! :-) We may yet get Zebras!

Yup, at least I think that is a good plan for where Zebra could go.

Also I'd like for each mode to be able to override more than just the lighting, like be able to temporarily override style colors so that you could switch everything to a "Shiny blue" mode for just a minute to look at things and then back to regular display again.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.8 In reply to 5222.7 
Nice Mike.

Michael, is there a script option that can be tucked into those scripts Mike just made that would have them "toggle"... So a return to default?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.9 In reply to 5222.8 
Hi Burr,

> Michael, is there a script option that can be tucked into those scripts Mike just made
> that would have them "toggle"... So a return to default?

Yup, that's possible, here's a script that will do that:

script: /* Toggle lighting options */ var settings = { lightingStyle: 'Default', specularHighlights: true, specularBrightness: 0.5, specularFocusSize: 0.5, metallicLighting: true, fixedLightPositions: false }; for ( var propname in settings ) { var val = ''; try { val = moi.command.getOption( 'ls_' + propname ); } catch(e) {} if ( val !== '' ) { moi.view[propname] = val; val = ''; } else { val = moi.view[propname]; moi.view[propname] = settings[propname]; } moi.command.setOption( 'ls_' + propname, val ); }

The settings come from the chunk that says: var settings = { lightingStyle: 'Default', specularHighlights: true, ... } To make a new batch of settings change just the value to the right of the : like if you want it to have no specular highlights make that part say specularHighlights: false

This will only toggle things within the same program session - don't exit MoI with it set to the alternate state or else that will get saved as your new default at exit time and so you won't be able to toggle it back to the old default when you launch next time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's convenient Michael,

The approach I used was to take all 12 custom settings above, and I programmed them as Alt+F1 - Alt+F12, since I had no designation for any Alt keys using the 'F' keys.

Now, I've been having a little fun selecting each lighting mode like a buffet.

F1 would be my 'good ol' trusty'.

I may implement a portion to my scripts that tells me at the bottom, what custom mode it is. As I kind of forgot what each was.
Your proposed quick button thingies will certainly allow for easier selection.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Phlatt5th!

Download here:

http://moi3d.com/forum/get_attachment.php?webtag=MOI&hash=8a6a02426a8fd81b41eda15ea9a6f97e&filename=Moi3D_Lighting%20options_Scripts.pdf

for a handy .PDF reference containing the above Lighting Options examples.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Just a trivial question :)
On what key press for "Toggle" the Michael Script above, the key of the Shortcut choosen?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.13 In reply to 5222.12 
Hi Pilou,

> On what key press for "Toggle" the Michael Script above, the key of the Shortcut choosen?

Yup, it's whatever key you set the shortcut to be on (the key you put in the left-hand "Key" column for the shortcut).

Then when you push the shortcut one time it will change to that particular lighting style, when you push the same shortcut key a second time it will switch back to the default lighting.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.14 In reply to 5222.13 
Ok

This script take only one more than the default ?
Or the 12 above by mike ?
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.15 In reply to 5222.14 
Hi Pilou,

> This script take only one more than the default ?
> Or the 12 above by mike ?

The script that I posted above just takes one particular group of settings, you can set it to any one of the 12 that Mike has shown above. Then when you trigger it, it will switch between that mode and back to the default mode again when you trigger it a second time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.16 In reply to 5222.15 
No possibility to chain the 12 in one line?
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.17 In reply to 5222.16 
Hi Pilou,

> No possibility to chain the 12 in one line?

It would be possible - it would need a bigger script with all the various settings in it of course.

Instead of investing the time writing a big script like that I'd rather wait until I can focus more properly on making a UI based control for switching different modes, a single enormous script is kind of hacky.

It would be generally similar to that existing one if you wanted to work on coding one though!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5222.18 In reply to 5222.17 
No problem
It was just by curiosity :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you Majik.

Very handy indeed.