Reshaping form using control points?
All  1-9  10-18

Previous
Next
5183.10 In reply to 5183.6 
Hi Playdo,

**What would you say is the closest software solution to the flexibility of sub-d modelling with the benefit of booleans? I never used T-Splines, but not sure what is happening with it**

FWIW, there's recently been announced another Rhino Plug-in called "Clayoo"
http://www.clayoo.com/

I've personally not tried it, but from the reports I've read, it's working in a similar way to T-Splines.
For those with Rhino & not prepared to now buy into T-Splines, this might prove to be a good option?

HTH, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5183.11 In reply to 5183.8 
Hi Playdo,

> Is it worth me adding a vote for it in the top 5 v3 feature thread?

Yup, that's probably a good idea if you want to keep it on the radar.

> I find that with many lattice cages, they're visually obstructive. Do you have
> an idea of how you'll implement it? It would be great to hardly notice that it's
> there, but just enough to use the control points. And perhaps the connecting
> lines could be nearly transparent, or maybe the visibility could be user specified.

Probably the connecting lines would be done in the same way as the control polygon hull that you can see right now when turning on curve control points.

Those hull lines are quite faint - not only are they dotted instead of solid lines but they're also pretty translucent as well, they look like this:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5183.12 In reply to 5183.9 
Hi Burr,

> What about History on Deform? Is that in the works?

It actually works already right now - you have to enable history updates on the generated object though by selecting it and doing Edit > History > Enable Update. After that if you edit the target surface the flow will be recalculated and the deformed result will update.

I've attached here a 3DM file with it set up - this has a sequence of history all enabled in such a way that if you turn on control points for the right hand curve here:

And then edit it it will automatically update the deformed result like this:

There's a sequence of history set up there where that curve has been mirrored and then lofted between the mirrored pieces, and then the loft result used as the target for the flow.

When you edit the curve, it updates the mirrored one (which I've locked so it's not too easy to accidentally select it anymore) then it updates the lofted result and then since Flow used the lofted surface for the target it then updates the flow too.

Both mirror and loft have history updates enabled on their outputs by default - Flow does not have it enable by default so you have to select its output and enable history updates on it before you will see history being applied to it.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5183.13 In reply to 5183.10 
Hi Colin, re: Clayoo - it sounds like it's a sub-d modeling system running in Rhino but it generates polygon output at the moment and not NURBS output.

But according to this discussion here it sounds like it will be targeted in the future to do that:
http://www.clayoo.com/forum/topics/first-thoughts

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5183.14 In reply to 5183.13 
"""""""""Flow does not have it enable by default so you have to select its output and enable history updates on it before you will see history being applied to it.""""""""""

Ahhhh. I was tricked! Control point editing on flowed objects.. Kindof like pulling cage points! Jojo was a wabbit.....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5183.15 In reply to 5183.13 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for that info.
I believe there's a number of the jewellery guys who are giving Clayoo a try.
It'll be interesting to hear back what they think of it.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Cheers for that. Those hulls look good. I think it's best when the cage is just visible enough not to be hard to use, but so it doesn't obstruct the model at all. It would be nice to be able to customise the look.

Interesting looking app Colin.

Michael, now you mention it, is there a script to turn on history updates for everything, by default?

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5183.17 In reply to 5183.16 
Hi Playdo,

> Michael, now you mention it, is there a script to turn on history
> updates for everything, by default?

No, there's not currently any way to change the defaults for what things have history automatically turned on and what things don't.

But you can turn on updates for all objects currently in your model by doing a select all and then do Edit > History > Enable updates.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5183.18 In reply to 5183.17 
That would be a handy checkbox to tick ;)

Cheers for clearing that up, and my other post too.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-18