Making an Inset from A Project Line..

Next
Hi Everyone...
I am Making a ring, and I need an Inset for a particular surface area..
I have designed a curve and used the project command and then the Isect command...
and then I thought I would be able to use the InSet Command for that particular
surface area... but I am bit stuck here...as I thought it would be selectable as a surface area.
I think the question would be, How do I create a Projected line that becomes a selectable surface
to be could used with the Inset tool..?
Thank You..

Tsiao

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thats because project doesn't actually cut the surface. Instead of project use trim. Trim will automatically project the curve and trim the surfaces. You can then do an inset.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5140.3 In reply to 5140.2 
Inset may have a tough time with that shape. You may want to flow the cutting shape onto the surface and then do a boolean diff....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5140.4 In reply to 5140.1 
Hi Tsiao, yeah like Steve mentions you need to use Trim to actually cut the surface into multiple separate pieces, and when you use Trim it incorporates a projection into it so you don't need to do the projection as a separate step.

Project just generates a new curve object that is on the surface, you could then use it for other kinds of constructions like as the path for a sweep or whatever.

Inset is kind of more oriented towards surfaces that are bounded by sharp corners - it tries to put a border around the inset area by doing an offset of the neighboring faces and it may have some difficulty on things that are all smooth where the pieces meet up.

Possibly instead of using inset you might want to just use extrude or shell on the small surface fragment after you have trimmed it from the larger piece, see here for an example of that:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3024.4
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4010.4
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3318.1

Also see here for some other somewhat related techniques for grooves and things like that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3859.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5140.5 In reply to 5140.4 
Thanks for the Great help every one...
I have redesigned the ring a bit shaper and used the trim and that worked great..!

And then I thought I would do the Inset command as SteveMacc mentioned, but I have not yet been able to make it work even with small numbers 0.2 and various separate height... like Burrman said.
So I decided to extrude ( Using the option both sides ) and that's working great so I could use the Boolean difference option

The extrude is working fine, but I don't understand why I get a hollow shell like this...

Thank You.
Tsiao

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5140.6 In reply to 5140.5 
Hi Tsiao, when you do the Trim it slices the skin of your solid up into separate pieces and so your objects after that are no longer closed solids that enclose a volume.

The boolean commands are mostly oriented towards working on solids, they figure out which pieces to keep based on which solid volume the pieces are in. Once your object is no longer a solid and just an open surface you will get the kind of results that you show there if you try to do booleans on it.

Once you are working with surfaces instead of solids you will usually need to use Trim to cut things up rather than booleans - Trim is somewhat similar to booleans in that it's job is to slice objects with one another, but with Trim you select which pieces you want to keep or discard manually. You can kind of think of booleans as a sort of high level batch mode operation of Trim that you can use when you have solids, where it does a combination of Trim + selecting pieces to discard based on which volume they are contained in + join of the pieces. Since they basically combine several actions together they are convenient to use if you are able to, but when you are working with surfaces you will generally not be able to use them and instead must use Trim.

There are a variety of different ways you could solve your problem though - one is that instead of doing the extrude with "both sides", just do it one side towards the inside of your shape and then delete the outer surface which will leave just the recessed portion and then use Join to glue those together. That's the approach shown in that previous link:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3024.4

Check out the steps shown in that link a bit more closely and you'll see that one of the steps is to delete the front face of the extrude, just leaving the recessed portion of the extrusion.

The other way you could do it is to select your extruded object, and then do a Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard, then undo all the way back to before you did the trim in the first place so that you've got the ring as a closed solid instead of an open surface, then paste in your extrusion and now you will have solids and so you can use a boolean at that point.

Let me know if you're still stuck.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5140.7 In reply to 5140.6 
Hi Michael...
Thank You for your detailed and precise explanation,
I used your example of extruding inside and removing the outer face..
Have a Great Week End
Tsiao

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All