Toy remote control

Next
Hi guys.

Just a quick(Ithought!!) project in MoI.

The images show the remote in MoI and a render in modo 601.

I struggled with the curved plate covering the short end of the remote(see selected part in MoI image); it is curved on both outer and inner surfaces not just a solid block with a curve on the outer surface. I used curves and booleans to construct it but it was very fiddly. Can't help thinking there must be an easier way!

Would welcome any ideas on the the easiest way to generate this surface.

Thanks for looking.

Mal
Image Attachments:
Size: 385.8 KB, Downloaded: 124 times, Dimensions: 720x480px
Size: 574.7 KB, Downloaded: 111 times, Dimensions: 1688x1080px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5129.2 In reply to 5129.1 
Personally, I would have modelled the main body and plate all as one piece, then trimmed the plate, offset the plate outwardly for given distance, select plate edges for both parts, click join and you should get two closed curves, and then use loft. You can then chamfer or fillet the surfaces to suit.

Does that help ?

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That looks cool Mal!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5129.4 In reply to 5129.1 
Hi Mal - if it's flat on one side and straight, you could build that by constructing one initial side profile like so:

Then offset that curve with "Cap ends" enabled to make this thickened closed curve result:

That can now be extruded (it may be better to put your profile in the middle and use "Both sides" mode for the extrusion for easy symmetry about the center axis line):

Then for the corner areas, pick these little edges here:

And use Fillet on them to round those off:

A different approach could be to do booleans or trimming to get a base surface to start with, if you went that way then you would want to use the Construct > Offset > Shell command thicken that surface into a solid, and if you went that way you probably would cut the base shape with a curve from the Top view and you could put rounded corners in that cutting curve so you wouldn't need to round the corners off at the end like above.

But the above way is how you could do it more from scratch directly rather than cutting the base object up. Either way is ok to use though really.

Let me know if that does not match what you were asking.

And by the way your final result is looking great there!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5129.5 In reply to 5129.4 
Hi guys.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a try and see which one I prefer. I think either of these ways will be quicker than what I have been doing.
Michael, I forgot about using the cap ends feature when offsetting which complicated what I was trying to do.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Mal
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All