Mac OSX v3 prototype available now
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  …  161-180

Previous
Next
4737.61 In reply to 4737.36 
Hi Michael,

Here's the screenshot on my black mac (running lion).

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.62 In reply to 4737.59 
Hi weipai,

> so, as a student, if i buy the EDU version of v2 now will i get to use the beta?

Yes, any v2 license including an EDU license has access to the v3 beta releases.

> and what's the upgrade path to v3 when 1.0 comes out?

You'll need to purchase an upgrade license to the v3 version when it's all finished up and the beta period is complete. There should be an edu discount upgrade version available, it will probably cost the same as the v1 to v2 upgrade which was $50 for educational, $100 for regular commercial.

It will still be quite a while before the final v3 is ready, I expect the beta period to probably run through until late next year.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.63 In reply to 4737.61 
Hi Luis,

> Here's the screenshot on my black mac (running lion).

Thanks for posting that - I did see something similar to that while developing it, and I think it has to do with a particular OpenGL function not being available.

I'm not sure if it's really not available or if there is some bug where it just thinks that the function is not available when it actually is.

I will be looking into getting an OSX laptop with the Intel graphics chipset so I can do some testing with it and see if I can solve this problem or not.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.64 In reply to 4737.63 
Is there anything I can try looking into (e.g. video settings, moi config, etc.) and modifying so i can help you with the testing?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.65 In reply to 4737.64 
Hi Luis,

> Is there anything I can try looking into (e.g. video settings,
> moi config, etc.) and modifying so i can help you with the
> testing?

I don't think there's anything like that you could do with the current version - I'll probably need to do some debugging here with it and I'll need to go back and forth between making changes in code and testing it frequently so I'll pretty much need to have a machine right here to test with.

I'll look into it more next week and see what I can figure out.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is what i was waiting to buy MoI for a long time! Just had to buy it right now that i heard of it!

Thanks Michael! I'll give it a try and tell you how it runs.

Specs:
IMac 27" 2010
core i5 2.8
16gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 5750

I'll be happy to post results once i get my order approved!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.67 In reply to 4737.66 
Wonderful.. perfect timing.. Now I can get rid of bootcamp!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not sure I understand what it takes to try out the beta. Do I need to get version 2 for a Platform I don't use to try out a beta version on a mac and then pay again for the upgrade to version 3 when it comes out. Not sure but something doesn't sound right there or maybe I am just missing the point totally. Perhaps it a long beta and it probably makes a little more sense then but then again I have been testing out Rhino on the mac for the last two years without buying the windows version of it. Will end up buying it when it is finally released.
I have been watching this software for a few years now and have been hoping that a mac version would come out and so have a lot of other mac users. I hoping eventually there is a stronger, wider beta release. It can only mean more eventual customers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.69 In reply to 4737.68 
Hi silba - I'd advise you to wait until v3 is finished. When it is finished then I will be making a trial version for it and that trial version will be available for anybody to download without any purchase to test with.

Beta versions are different than trials - my policy for beta versions so far has been that it is available for previous owners to download during the beta period. That's because otherwise if every single beta release was just totally open for anyone to download that would mean that there would always be a free version available to use.

That there happens to be an OSX version that you are unable to try out without already owning a license is just a temporary situation - once the final v3 is released then there will be a trial version available for people to test with before purchasing.

So if you don't want to purchase any license you will still be able to try it, you'll just need to wait until it is out of beta. That will probably be sometime late next year.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.70 In reply to 4737.68 
Hi silba, also re:

> I have been testing out Rhino on the mac for the last two
> years without buying the windows version of it.

The Rhino mac version is a pretty different situation than the MoI one.

Basically the Rhino Windows version generally follows 1990s era standard Windows-PC interface conventions. Or in some areas like with the command-line handling maybe even more like 1980s era. That would end up being pretty weird if it was just brought over directly to the Mac. So instead they basically started over and have been trying different UI concepts for their Mac version and also started out at a much more primitive level initially. They still have quite a ways to go I guess even now.

When doing something from scratch like that it does make a lot of sense to have a wide and totally open beta test since you will need to get a whole lot of feedback to guide something that is in the process of growing and not really close to fully formed.

The MoI Mac beta is totally unlike that - instead of being in a "start from zero" state, it has the full functionality and interface of the regular Win MoI.

Having the same UI on both Win and Mac is much more feasible for MoI than it would have been for Rhino because the Win MoI version did not particularly follow many standard Windows conventions and even had a semi-mac-like more modern design feel to it. So that exact same UI with possibly a few small tweaks here and there but largely intact is not so weird on the Mac, or possibly you might say it's equally as weird on both Windows and the Mac I suppose.

At any rate, it's a much different situation and the MoI OSX version basically pops into existence much more fully formed and equal in functionality to the PC version and not needing such a long incubation period as a "start from scratch" type approach requires.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.71 In reply to 4737.70 
Hi Michael!

As the OSX-version is generating quite a buzz in the 3D domain, couldn't you provide a non-save-beta for "unilluminated" Apple-ians to sneak a peek on MOIs toolkit?

Best of wishes,
Marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Just to chime in here. As a long time C4D users who have battled with Solidthinking for most nurbs modeling we've been looking for a way to dump this overpriced and unstable beast of a program. We have not upgraded from Solidthinking Vantage due to sky high prices and the fact the modeler component is all we need. So we are still on the look out for a dedicated nurbs modeler.

That was going to be Rhino OSX, but now....

We've heard a great number of people recommend MoI and would very much like to try it out. Going by the current $295 price point (should testing prove as satisfactory) we would have no reservation in making an immediate purchase of the OSX version of this app.

It would be very much appreciated if we could test with a view to purchase.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.73 In reply to 4737.71 
Hi Marco,

> As the OSX-version is generating quite a buzz in the 3D domain,
> couldn't you provide a non-save-beta for "unilluminated"
> Apple-ians to sneak a peek on MOIs toolkit?

That's a good idea - the only problem is that will probably be viewed by many as more of a trial version than as a beta release and so I'd really want to finish up a few more things first before releasing a totally public version like that. So maybe in another month or so.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.74 In reply to 4737.72 
Hi deepshade - please keep in mind that I've only just released the very first prototype version of the OSX version of MoI v3.

It's not ready to purchase yet - it will be going through a beta release process first.

I won't actually have a finished OSX version that's actually ready to be purchased as a regular release until sometime probably late next year.

So you're jumping the gun a bit - MoI v3 is not yet for sale.

But from what you are describing about wanting a dedicated NURBS modeler that can work well with Cinema4D - MoI is a really good fit with that goal and actually has particularly good export into Cinema4D as well.

So I think it's a good idea to have it on your radar for when the OSX version is completed and ready for purchase.

But you know what, maybe I will re-evaluate my plans and instead of waiting until the full v3 release is complete maybe I can do something like release a version 2.5 just for OSX within the next couple of months rather than waiting until the full v3 release to have an OSX version. That could work, I'll think about that some.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
No issues so far. My MoI.app behaves, is a joy to use and runs stable.

I've setup my shortcut keys now and without functioning copy and paste it was quite some typing, especially all the script commands*. Therefore I don't want to do that again when the next beta comes out. I figured out how to access the moi.ini file using a right-click on the app icon and copied it to be able to put it back into any new versions. Is this the correct way to save shortcuts or is there a simpler way?

*Today I learned that editing the moi.ini file and adding shortcuts there would have been easier.
Image Attachments:
Size: 27.4 KB, Downloaded: 44 times, Dimensions: 965x76px
Size: 25.4 KB, Downloaded: 29 times, Dimensions: 276x114px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.76 In reply to 4737.74 
Hi Michael

Thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate its all early days. If there is any opportunity to be involved in a public beta - please let us know.

The same applies if you decide on a 2.5 OSX release.

At some point the machine running Solidthinking (G5 PPC) will be retired and we will need a Nurbs modeler to run on SnowLeopard and Lion - MoI will be our first port of call for a purchase.

And yes, in the mean time, I'll try to keep an eye on developments.

Best wishes

Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
WOW WOW thank you and for now after some test is work very nice. i love moi ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.78 In reply to 4737.75 
Hi Martin,

"""""""" access the moi.ini file using a right-click on the app icon and copied it to be able to put it back into any new versions. """""""""""

I follow the betas with a customized setup... For me, I wouldnt do a direct copy of the moi.ini from one to the other, because the moi.ini can change also.. I use a diff program to add my old ini changes to the new one... If you dont have access to a good diff program, I would suggest having a text file with all your shortcuts only, then just copying those into the shortcuts area of the ini.. It's pretty quick. FYI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Why not just buy V2? Then you can use the beta V3 for OSX. Michael's betas are pretty sound anyway. I've not used V2 since the V3 beta came out. When V3 does come out, just upgrade.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.80 In reply to 4737.78 
>I would suggest having a text file with all your shortcuts only

Thanks for the warning, I'll do it your way.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  …  161-180