Mac OSX v3 prototype available now
 1-20  …  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180

Previous
Next
4737.121 In reply to 4737.119 
Hi Michael,

thanks for your efforts on the Intel graphics, but actually there is probably a little misunderstanding. There are quite a few chips with a 3000 in the name. Here is a short chronological list (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMA_X3100 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics ):

Graphic chips on motherboard:
Intel GMA 950 (MacBook 2006 - mid 2007) Luis's MacBook
Intel GMA 3000
Intel GMA X3000
Intel GMA X3100 (MacBook late 2007 - late 2008) My MacBook
Intel GMA X3500

Graphic chips on CPU chip (Sandybridge):
Intel HD Graphics 2000
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (MacBook Pro 13") Your MacBook Pro

Hope that helps a bit...
Chyman
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.122 In reply to 4737.20 
I'm very excited to see MoI coming out for Mac OS X (even if it's running under X11). I'd truly love to see MoI on the iPad ;-)

I've got a v1 license (which I still use via VMWare Fusion), so my question is if I pay for an upgrade to v2 to get access to v3 beta will I then need to pay for another upgrade to get to v3 when it is released?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.123 In reply to 4737.121 
Hi Chyman, yup I was just figuring that out, that the "GMA" 3000 or x3000 is a different one than Intel HD 3000.

So far I know:

Does not work:
Intel GMA 950 chipset

Does work:
Intel HD Graphics 3000
All nVidia and ATI graphics seem to be working fine.

So far I do not know about the GMA 3000/x3000 ones.

Those are actually quite a bit newer than the GMA 950 though - the GMA 950 is particularly old. The 950 dates back to around 2005 and even right at that time that it was introduced it was at the extreme low end of the performance pile even then.

If anyone is running the current OSX beta with one of the GMA 3000 or x3000 Intel chipsets, please post how it is working for you.

And Chyman, you will be able to test it in just a few more weeks here when I release the public test version.

The GMA x3000/x3100 is a pretty substantial step up from the ones before that, so I have a pretty good expectation that it should work. According to the chart here the x3000/x3100 support OpenGL 2.0 which I think should be sufficient:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Graphics_Media_Accelerator

I think that the cutoff point is actually probably OpenGL 1.5 level hardware - I think the current build needs support for "Vertex Buffer Objects" (VBO) - the GMA 950 only supports OpenGL 1.4 and that's missing VBOs.

I will continue to look a bit more though, I think that Wine actually has a fallback path for "no VBO" support but it appears to be buggy.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.124 In reply to 4737.122 
Hi podperson,

> I'm very excited to see MoI coming out for Mac OS X
> (even if it's running under X11).

Don't worry - I'll be tweaking it some more with a few more native access points like with a native file dialog. By the time it's finished I think the main thing you'll have to live with is just an "X" in the title, hopefully that by itself is not enough to cause problems.

> I'd truly love to see MoI on the iPad ;-)

Unfortunately that's a very much different thing - the iPad uses a completely different kind of CPU than regular Macs, and so the porting method that I'm currently using is not possible to use for an iPad. Doing an iPad version would require such an extensive rewrite that I don't think that it realistically has much chance of happening anytime soon.

> I've got a v1 license (which I still use via VMWare Fusion), so my
> question is if I pay for an upgrade to v2 to get access to v3 beta
> will I then need to pay for another upgrade to get to v3 when it
> is released?

You will have to pay for a v3 upgrade if you want to use v3 when it is finished - that will be something like a year from now.

However, if you upgrade to v2 now you will not have to pay anything to get the v2.5 release which will be an OSX-specific release that I'll be putting out much sooner than v3, targeting something like the beginning of next year.

The v2.5 OSX release will be available to current v2 owners to download and use their same v2 license with without any extra purchase. It will also be a version that brand new customers who were waiting for an OSX version will be able to purchase instead of waiting all the way until v3 is released which is what I was originally going to do.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.125 In reply to 4737.121 
Ok - I'm getting a little more zeroed in on the graphics chipset issue.

It looks like the thing that is required is OpenGL Frame Buffer Objects (FBO) which were introduced with OpenGL 3.0 .

It looks like this means that the minimum required at the moment is:

Radeon: HD series
GeForce: GeForce 8 or higher
Intel: Intel HD Graphics 2000 or 3000 (not any GMA version it looks like).

There is a fallback path which is supposed to allow things to work if FBO is not available, but it appears to be buggy for the case of multiple swapchains being used. I'll be digging into that to see if I can solve it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm noticing a strange behaviour which could probably be a bug.

MoI suddenly doesn't respond until I hit the esc key and then I'm stuck in "rotation mode". I'm not able to select anything all mouse actions rotate the model instead. In this mode the keyboard shortcuts also do not work. Other than this MoI works as expected. The only solution to get out of this was to quit and restart MoI.

I'm sorry that I'm not able to be more specific but I noticed this at least two times in the last days. I cant say what causes it. Did anyone also notice this?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.127 In reply to 4737.126 
Hi Martin, that definitely sounds like a bug but one that will be hard to track down without being able to reproduce it.

Please let me know if you see any pattern to it in the future like if it happens after some particular command is run or something like that.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.128 In reply to 4737.125 
Hi Michael,

thank you for looking into this. I checked the glxinfo command on my GMA X3100. It seems to have OpenGL 2.0, but I also found VBO and FBO support in it:

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Intel GMA X3100 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL version string: 2.0 APPLE-1.6.36
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object

I think Apple called it version 2.0 because it does not implement all of 3.0, but at least some portions of it...
So perhaps there is still hope. I am looking forward to your upcoming public test version.

Kind regards,
Chyman
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.129 In reply to 4737.128 
Hi Chyman,

> GL_EXT_framebuffer_object

From what I can tell having this extension available should be enough to make it work.

I'm still investigating it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.130 In reply to 4737.127 
Ok, I think I found the cause of my "Rotation Mode". It seems to be caused by using cmd-Tab to switch between apps.
Please do the following:

Open TextEdit

Open MoI and draw a solid box

Press cmd-Tab and switch to TextEdit

Write something

Press cmd-Tab and switch back to MoI

Try to select a surface of the box.

Voila, instant "Rotation Mode"

It only "works" if you use cmd-Tab to switch between MoI and another app.
A way to get out of "Rotation Mode" is to change back to MoI by clicking into the MoI window instead of using cmd-Tab.
I hope you can simulate that behaviour.

Update: It seems to fail only when there is no clicking involved while switching between the two apps.

EDITED: 4 Dec 2011 by MARTIN3D

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Count me in as another Mac OSX user. I switched over about a year ago. So far I have not had any additional problems running OSX 10.6.8 on a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. As far as copy and paste problems, I do notice the Transformation tools all seem to work. I do get some "jumping around" on the screen when selecting curves in those tools if there are scroll bars present in the window. I do not recall the Windows version doing that.

Any way thanks a lot for making this happen!!

J. Tucker
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.132 In reply to 4737.130 
Thanks very much for tracking down the sequence that causes it Martin, that should help out a lot in getting it fixed up!

I will be taking a look into it soon.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.133 In reply to 4737.132 
hi Michael..

with regards to licensing:
would the following scenario be against the licensing agreement:

i have my mother company buy a v2 license (they use windows in the office).. which i'm sure they will install moi on if they were to buy it..

i use that license on my machine with 2.5 osx when available.

thanks for clarification.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.134 In reply to 4737.133 
Hi Jeff,

> i have my mother company buy a v2 license (they use
> windows in the office).. which i'm sure they will install moi
> on if they were to buy it..
>
> i use that license on my machine with 2.5 osx when available.
>

Are you the one that would be using it on the Windows install also?

Or do you mean that someone else would be using the Windows installed one, and then you would additionally be using the OSX version on top of that?

If you have 2 different people that are going to be using the software at the same time then you need to purchase 2 licenses for that scenario.

You can install the same license in multiple places, just so long as it is only being actively run in one place at a time, that's meant for one person to be able to use the same license on multiple machines that they use, not for multiple people to be using the same license at the same time.

For multiple people all using it at the same time each person should have their own license for that kind of use.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.135 In reply to 4737.134 
right.. that's what i figured but just asking to be sure.

they're in FL, im in NYC.. there would be times i'm sure when both the windows and osx version are open at the same time.

but they bought my indigo and sketchup licenses (as well as their own) [and have said they'll transfer one of their rhino licenses to me when that time comes because rhino is too confusing for them :-)) ]
so maybe i can line up two sales for you via them :)
otherwise, i'll just get my own personal license as i'm itching to bring moi into my designflow..

thanks for the info.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Jeff : and I believe that you can put your Moi version on USB key!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.137 In reply to 4737.121 
FYI. Not to be outdone by the machine, I was able to get Moi working on my little black mac by setting the offscreen rendering mode to "backbuffer" instead of "fbo" which seems to be the default.

Will test some more later on...

--Luis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.138 In reply to 4737.137 
That's great news Luis!

It turns out that it was kind of accidental that it was actually doing offscreen rendering at all, I think I will have something to send you in a bit here which tweaks a couple of other things.

But it does look like it's going to be possible to get it to work there after all.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.139 In reply to 4737.137 
I'll also tune it up so that if your card doesn't support fbo it will turn that offscreen rendering mode to "backbuffer" by default.

But basically it was trying to use fbos because it thought it was rendering at one size and then going to later on display the final result in a different sized window than the rendering when that's not really what happens. Now that I've got that fixed up it doesn't worry about trying to use fbos or offscreen rendering at all which should simplify things.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4737.140 In reply to 4737.139 
Hi Michael,

I cannot send you a pm. The system is blocking it with an opted out msg.

--Luis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180