modeling help. Question about intersect

Next
I'm attempting to model this building for a class at school...

o-14 building in dubai...

http://files.archinect.com/uploads/ai/aiu_102006_1.jpg

It has a series of 1000 punched roughly circular openings on an exterior concrete shell...

I was able to find the unrolled elevation of the building with all of the openings mapped to a flat surface. I was thinking that I could map these openings in moi and somehow drape them around the core and use boolean difference to cut the holes... the problem is, I have no idea how I would go about doing that accurately being that the core is a weird wavy extruded shape.

Any suggestions?

The image below shows a rough idea of what I want to do. Taking that large holed surface and wrapping it around that odd shaped 3d solid. I think it might have something to do with the curve intersect or project commands but I'm not sure how to take that flat surface and bend it so that I could intersect the solid with some sort of accuracy

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/examplejk.jpg

Any help would be appreciated
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.2 In reply to 4530.1 
Seems the new function flow is for you ;)
Works also in volume ;)

curvated line must be the mediane of the wall

Just take same length of the straight line than the curvated line for have exact deformation and size (not made here :)
Here i have erased the building but now just offset the curve as you want for extrude the wall then make boolean diff :)

seems the solution can work

first is maybe better as you can extrude deformed circles in 2 same direction in the same time
offset the curvated line by mediane or as you want
extrude the wall then make boolean diff :)

EDITED: 19 Sep 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.3 In reply to 4530.2 
Wow that's pretty cool. I downloaded the beta but hadn't had a chance to play around with it... I'll give this solution a shot thanks!!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.4 In reply to 4530.1 
Hi rado, yeah definitely like Pilou mentions the new Transform > Deform > Flow command in v3 will do exactly that kind of morphing from a flat pattern to one that follows a curve.

See here for some other general examples of flow:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4363.124
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4363.65
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4471.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4493.1

The way it works is it deforms objects from one backbone reference to a new backbone. The "backbone" can be either a line curve object or a plane surface object, and then you pick a target bendy curve or target bendy surface and the objects will remap from the base backbone to the target backbone.

Probably a curve based flow would be good for what you need to do - when doing a curve backbone flow it is buggy right now if you don't have the base and target curves all in the world x/y plane, so make sure both the base curve and target curve are on the Top view plane.

Then you can have a straight extruded slab solid that is oriented vertically, draw a line at its base, and then have a target bendy curve for how you want the result.

So something like a simple straight extruded slab solid like so:

Then draw in a line at the base, and have a separate bendy curve something like this:

Then to do it, select just the slab and run Transform > Deform > Flow (note no icon for it quite yet). Then at the first prompt select the line at the base and then at the second prompt select the target bendy curve, that will transform the slab to follow the target curve like so:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.5 In reply to 4530.1 
There are some other options too like you could flow just individual shapes and then use those to boolean, and also with that method of flowing a bunch of little objects there is a "Rigid" option that you can check which doesn't actually deform the object but instead moves and rotates it into position as if just its center point had been deformed. That could be helpful if you wanted all the pieces to be all really straight cuts that go in one single direction, otherwise the cuts will follow the surface normal more like shell or offset type shapes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.6 In reply to 4530.1 
Hi rado also one other note - the curve to curve backbone version of Flow is probably what you would want for controlling this more accurately since it is based on matching distance traveled along each curve (or matching percentage traveled along the entire length if you use the "Stretch" option).

The surface to surface one doesn't matches instead by UV parameter space of each surface and it can be fairly easy to have UV space that is kind of bunched or stretched in relation to 3D space which would probably create some problems for you. If you do want to use backbone surfaces instead of backbone curves, using the Rebuild command on the curves that you use to construct the bendy surface could help to give it a more regularized UV space.

But just using backbone-curve to backbone-curve mode is probably best for your case.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.7 In reply to 4530.6 
Ha cool. I did not know you could use it as seen in your first post. Thanks.

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. Cinema4D R13 Studio + VrayForC4D + UVLayout Pro + 3DCoat
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.8 In reply to 4530.4 
Hi Michael

Is my first post.

I tried doing the same as.

Could work!

Really funny!
Image Attachments:
Size: 40.6 KB, Downloaded: 84 times, Dimensions: 500x375px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4530.9 In reply to 4530.8 
Hi moritaka, looks like a good result! Is that from a ZSurf generated surface?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4530.10 In reply to 4530.9 
Thanks immediately.
Yes. Made in ZSurf.