Glue line fillet

Next
What's the best way to model a glue seam fillet along the seam of the box sitting on top of the flat surface? It should be concave and have a natural curvature to it. The fillet tool seems to be more for rounding things off. The box will have an adhesive bead applied around it and after it wicks into the seam, cures and shrinks it will have a concave shape to it.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4285.2 In reply to 4285.1 
It will fillet like you want, but the objects need to be joined first.

Windows 7 x64, Precision T3400, Intel C2Q @ 3 GHz
8 GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 3870

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4285.3 In reply to 4285.1 
Hi Jeff - use Boolean Union to combine those 2 boxes together first, then you can make a Fillet like Nick shows.

When you do the boolean union, it will remove the interior surfaces where the boxes are touching and make them into one larger volume.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4285.4 In reply to 4285.3 
Thanks. I figured it out after I posted. I also thanked Nick via PM because I didn't want to clutter the forum more than I am already doing.

I'm having some weird artifacts while trying to fillet my strat. I'll send something along if I have time. I think I may have to cut my model up before filleting it the way I want. I guess I'll have to figure out how to blend the different fillet sizes together.

Also, I was wondering why the sketchup push/pull direction inferencing wasn't implemented. I felt it was a great feature of SU. I'm sure you answered this question a million times, but I haven't had time to search the forums for the answer. It seem like a number of other programs are now implementing this now. I guess the industry believes it's not a defensible IP issue.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4285.5 In reply to 4285.4 
Hi Jeff,

> I'm having some weird artifacts while trying to fillet my strat.

It's probably related to trying to make a large radius fillet go around bends that are tighter than that radius value, that kind of a thing can cause problems like bunching in the fillets. MoI can handle that in some cases but it causes difficulties for the fillet engine.

Check out these previous threads where that was discussed some in relation specifically to guitar models:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2145.1

You may need to use some other surfacing methods to construct some of the larger rounded areas of your model rather than filleting.

> Also, I was wondering why the sketchup push/pull direction inferencing
> wasn't implemented. I felt it was a great feature of SU.

Well, when you use the extrude command on a planar curve, MoI will automatically track along the perpendicular direction from that planar curve.

Check out this previous thread for a video that shows how to do some similar things as SketchUp while drawing in MoI:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2215.1

As far as editing an existing face of an object by push/pulling it, that's kind of a different problem and it tends to be more difficult to implement that style of model editing in a NURBS modeling system than in a polygon modeling system. It is something that I want to work on in the future though.

> It seem like a number of other programs are now implementing
> this now.

Yeah for editing there is a new class of solid modeling programs called "direct modelers" that implement this type of stuff for editing.

Keep in mind that it's a pretty complex area to implement though, those companies have had teams of developers working on making that stuff work for quite a while now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All