what are you using MOI for?

Next
Hi, im wondering what expensive programs some people on the forum use.
Are you earn money with 3D? i mean i only doing this as a hobby. just for fun and it is interesting me.
but i never could aford programs like 3DS MAX or MAYA or expensive renderers like VRAY.
i had a EDU C4D 8.5. but most time i used Blender. i realy like the workflow the hotkeys . the fast modeling and the case that it's free.
i bought moi cos i missed a NURBS Modeling Tool. And Rhino is for my case to expensive.

Who's working with MOI for business?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4116.2 In reply to 4116.1 
For me it's a hobby but...
I know some artists, illustrators, architects, engineers etc...who use Moi with great pleasure !
Some owners of Rhino users use Moi as pre-modeler and for the famous mesh Engine Nurbs-->OBJ !
Some are also in the forum ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4116.3 In reply to 4116.2 
Hi ..
Yes, I am a landscape architect and architectural designer ... I use MoI for all my preliminary design work these days. It is such a great fluid 3d modeler and I use it for 2d work as well and then switch to Rhino so I can dimension, note and render with Flamingo (the plant material stuff in Flamingo is very helpful to me). I have also built some abstract tree forms that I can use with MoI and then use Octane for my rendering tool.
I work more than full time at my professional work which has a lot of variation ... I recently designed a Buddhist Temple and am today working on preliminaries for a tiny, wheeled house. MoI really is great at improving my work flow.
cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4116.4 In reply to 4116.2 
MoI was included with my Alibre Expert purchase (otherwise I would never have known about this great program). I am planning on using it as a rapid prototype/proof of concept modeler, and some things are just easier to do in MoI than in Alibre.

My first trade is landscape design, but the housing has really petered out and I am branching out into mech design to increase the customer base I can pull from.

I originally am an AutoCAD/Inventor guy but well, my freelance pockets aren't quite as deep as the old company's. So far MoI has been fantastic, it's just a matter of getting used to/discovering how it works.
~Nick

EDITED: 13 Mar 2011 by NVANLAAR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4116.5 In reply to 4116.1 
I earn my living using 3D. My main CAD tool is TurboCAD but I also employ MoI when I need to create more organic shaped objects that are not easily done with TurboCAD. I have a wide range of clients for which I create 3D product visuals, parts for manufacture and trade show booth designs. I also utilize Illustrator and Photoshop on a near daily basis in conjunction with my CAD work. I don't think there is one tool that does it all, but there are many great tools like MoI which are invaluable additions to any creative's toolbox.

With a lot of hard work and a good portion of luck, one can make a decent living using these tools. I often marvel at how lucky I am to be doing the work I love for a living.

Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4116.6 In reply to 4116.1 
working as a draftsman mainly with 2D with VectorWorks and doing some 3D vizualisation with Cinema4D.

By now I'm doing some piping installation directly in MoI, taking the 2D tank drawings to the 3rd dimension and building the pipes around it. that's giving me more headaches and it takes a bit longer to set it up than just a top view, but I know afterwards if this installation is possible or not. I like working with MoI and it helps my workflow.

full installation (not all pipes and building shown):

1 tank, opened to show the heating pipes:

What you see is what you believe - so don't. (from an Amiga500 demo)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hobby... I like to design things eg., the attached ring (oh and my first with Moi3D and rendered with Kerkythea).

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4116.8 In reply to 4116.7 
this is a nice design. i never could imagine a design like this.i mean i never had an idea like this.
i think i also have to design a ring, too. ;-)
how u use this renderer? heard alot about it but its out of developing right?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Aside from a bunch of hobby uses, I use MoI to create graphics for my computer games.

Best modelling program out there.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All