controlling sweep positions
All  1-8  9-17

Previous
Next
3893.9 In reply to 3893.8 
Hi Nos,

> Will there be history for booleans also?

Hopefully in the future at some point.

The tricky thing about that, is that to make history work on stuff like booleans it means that the original unbooleaned source objects have to be available to the history replay mechanism.

So that will mean storing a lot of additional data about previous objects somehow, maybe in some kind of potentially very large separate file store.

It tends to be difficult to make stuff that handles large wads of data efficiently, so I'm not exactly sure when this may happen. Since it may take a lot of work to make it happen it may be a while before I will be able to focus on it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3893.10 In reply to 3893.9 
In my usecase I have to store the brevious objects anyway so I can rebuild it if I have to change something. But I don't have so many objects.

An alternative may be a recording script witch records the parameters of objects and konstructional functions applied to it. So the object could automatically get rebuild. Many times I have to rebuild objects and going true the whole process cause I have to relocate 2 bore-holes.

~ ben
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3893.11 In reply to 3893.10 
Hi ben,

> An alternative may be a recording script witch records
> the parameters of objects and konstructional functions
> applied to it.

Unfortunately that's not a complete alternative because of things like objects being imported from a file or something like that where there is only the object's geometry available and not its recorded history.

> Many times I have to rebuild objects and going true the
> whole process cause I have to relocate 2 bore-holes.

You may want to check out this object repair tutorial here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

It shows some other techniques for repairing holes on an object such as removing trim curves to recover the original underlying surface, it's a technique that works directly on the current object rather than rebuilding it from scratch.

Here is a quick example - here I have a slab with a hole in it:

Select the side wall face of the hole like this:

And then delete it, that results in an open surface object like this, where the circular edges now only belong to one surface and are not joined edges between 2 surfaces anymore:

Now select those edges:

And use Delete again to remove those trimming boundaries, this will recover the underlying surface:

Every trimmed surface has an underlying surface part of it, and then trim curves that mark areas of the surface as being cut off or as holes. Those trim curves can be erased so that those areas are not holes anymore.

In order to erase a trim boundary, it must not be a joined boundary between 2 surfaces and if the boundary is made up of multiple edges, all the edges that make it up need to be selected before you use Delete.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
> not a complete alternative because things like objects being imported from a file or something like that

IMO this would be ok cause if something is imported it has to be already modelled in the first place, and changes should be applied there cause the idea is probably to use the imported object a serveral times/places. This also leads to the question of instances. Is it planed to implement instances?

I did read the thread about multi document window. So the arguments was more in regards to gui-usabillity but there's also the point of the modelling workflow. Lets say I have an imported object which I use in several models. At some point I my have to modify it to adapt it to something. So it would be nice if I could open the source of the instance/source-file in a second window and edit it.

> techniques for repairing holes

This helps alot, thanks for the hint.

~ nos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3893.13 In reply to 3893.9 
Hi Michael....

Is there any chance to use LEDAS GEOMETRIC SOLVER in the future, of course it will cost MoI higher.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3893.14 In reply to 3893.13 
Hi Anis,

> Is there any chance to use LEDAS GEOMETRIC SOLVER in the future

I don't really know - I just don't have enough information about it to be able to give you a good answer on that.

For example, how much does it cost to license it?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3893.15 In reply to 3893.12 
Hi Nos,

> IMO this would be ok cause if something is imported it
> has to be already modelled in the first place, and changes
> should be applied there cause the idea is probably to use
> the imported object a serveral times/places.

I don't think that's a proper assumption that everybody is only going to use imported objects as instances and not as something like a main object body to just do further work on.

> Is it planed to implement instances?

Yes, I do want to have instances at some point.

> Lets say I have an imported object which I use in
> several models. At some point I my have to modify
> it to adapt it to something. So it would be nice if I
> could open the source of the instance/source-file in
> a second window and edit it.

Pulling up a completely separate window is a pretty complex process for something like that. I'd be more inclined to do something much more simple for things like that, such as temporarily hide the other stuff, let you work on the object that you want to edit right in the same window you are already working in, and then when you are done everything else goes back to its previous state.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3893.16 In reply to 3893.14 
Hi Michael...

As long as I know, some autocad clone use LGS, also some CAM vendor.
Regarding cost, looks like they can provide reasonable cost both for developer and end user.
I think you should discuss further with LGS people. We believe you can develop far more robust and good history and or constraint solver, but here you are one man show. So we hope LGS can speed up development of MoI3D.

Thanks...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I suspect that LEDAS would be able to offer a better deal than Siemens.

+1 for looking into ledas
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-8  9-17