nx 7.5 modelling

Next
hi

Nice video of new features in NX. Really like the directness shown and that you are editing the real isoparms not a deformation cage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmFnq4_MkaY&feature=related
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Damn, that is a SWEET way to model!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.3 In reply to 3560.2 
That is very cool modeling. Hey Danny....As an NX modeler, how long do you think it would take me to be able to do that if I just bought the program?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.4 In reply to 3560.3 
Hi Burr,

> how long do you think it would take me
> to be able to do that if I just bought the program.

About $20000 ;)

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.5 In reply to 3560.1 
Hi Jamie, it definitely looks cool!

But be careful - it's easy when watching a video to not really understand how much time and effort the person has spent learning how a complex tool works in order to get those results.

I regularly see people get very excited when they see a video of a sub-d modeler quickly sculpt a box into a leaping porpoise and it looks so easy when they are doing it, the part that you miss out on is the years of experience and judgment that the operator has gained in order to get to that level.

Just something to consider...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.6 In reply to 3560.5 
Hi Michael

Agreed that a canned demo does not mean it is really that easy to do in reality. I like the interactivity of it though. Solidthinking has good interactivity but poor interface.

I guess its all food for thought for V3.

regards

Jamie
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
quote:
...I regularly see people get very excited when they see a video of a sub-d modeler quickly sculpt a box into a leaping porpoise and it looks so easy when they are doing it, the part that you miss out on is the years of experience and judgment that the operator has gained in order to get to that level.

Leaping porpoise! LOL - priceless!

Well I'll admit, I at least refrained from saying I want that in MoI! :-P

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.8 In reply to 3560.7 
""""""""""I at least refrained from saying I want that in MoI!""""""""""""""

Will,
No worries....I think Leaping porpoise's have already been requested!!! :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.9 In reply to 3560.1 
I would think something like SpaceClaim would be easier to use for this kind of direct modeling workflow. That said, it's cool that the big boy parametric modelers are finally adding these tools. It does look more complicated than it needs to be, but I wouldn't knock it 'till I tried it. I wish one of these companies would just throw a very simple direct modeling UI over one of their advanced geometry libraries. I think it would do well.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.10 In reply to 3560.9 
"I wish one of these companies would just throw a very simple direct modeling UI over one of their advanced geometry libraries. I think it would do well."

Speaking from a perspective of zero experience in modelling and over 30 years using application software, I think the UI is actually more difficult to do well than the advanced libraries. That's probably why it (arguably) hasn't happened.

Dan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Now it's too easy :)
No more headache to resolve ! :)
Pleasure is go on :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It was in 2002 when I started using Unigraphics V18, the only other cad software I have ever used before that was Autocad and Cadkey(KeyCreator), the workflow of Unigraphics hadn't changed until it went with the prefix of NX which was in 2003/4 and from then on the focus was on user friendliness, it is now at NX7.5 which is equivalent to V26, if you come from a cad background and know the basic commands you could model basic items within the day, but from a non cad background it would be very difficult to know where to start, the software does come with an optional training program to get you up to speed called CAST, which goes through step by step exercises.

The latest versions of NX have included things like a command finder, where if you type in a key word like 'sweep' it will show you where the command icon is and a brief description on what it does and it has always been when you pick a command and hit F1(help) the program will jump to the section in the help file on that command with some examples.

So to sum up to answer Burr's question on how long would it take to learn NX it all depends on the users background, if you have used the mainstream cad programs like Solidworks, ProE and Solidedge it shouldn't take long to get up to speed, but from a non cad or poly background it'll take much much longer, but I wouldn't recommend NX for this group.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.13 In reply to 3560.12 
Another good video in direct manipulation can be found here : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=catia+imagine+%26+shape&aq=0

Of course you need to spend $$$$
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.14 In reply to 3560.1 
Here's some more info to go along with that nx 7.5 video.

http://develop3d.com/blog/2010/05/nx-7.5-1-core-synchronous-technology-updates
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3560.15 In reply to 3560.9 
I agree with that! SpaceClaim is almost too easy to use, and the price isn`t not too bad.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

I have to agree with d3print, SCE and MoI make a great combination, and I can only see it getting better as time goes on. It seems like these higher end packages are backing their way into this type of modeling concept. Many of the techniques shown in that video were recreated fairly easily in SCE. I can't say the end result looked the same, but that has to do more with my modeling ability than the program lacking in function. I will sat though that there is something so drop dead easy about workflow in MoI that keeps me bouncing models between the two applications.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All