Curve to line segments?

Next
Hello,

I am not sure, but I thought I had seen a script for MoI, that would rebuild a curve into line segments. I had a look through the scripts page and made a search of the forum, but cannot find anything.

Was there such a script?, or am I just having a senior moment :-)

Regards,

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3546.2 In reply to 3546.1 
Hi Steve, try Petr's ReconstructCurve command from here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ReconstructCurve

That one has a dropdown that lets you tell it to construct a polyline through points sampled along the curve.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3546.3 In reply to 3546.2 
Thanks Michael, I had seen that in my search, but for some reason thought that was the Rebuild command/script included with the installation (definitely a senior moment).

I do have a question if I may.

In V2 you have added the miter_corners for (straight corner)sweeps which is great, although if the sweep is "Pointy end" then the miter connections are lost, is that a restriction or not implemented?

- Steve
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3546.4 In reply to 3546.3 
Hi Steve, that's a restriction - the mitered corners are only able to be calculated properly if the sweep is like a constant-width tube.

If you have multiple profile shapes or if you have "pointy ends" set, it means the sweep is changing in thickness throughout, and in the general case there is no guarantee that a linear extension at the corner areas will actually seamlessly match up with one another in a very regular way.

- Michael

EDITED: 18 May 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3546.5 In reply to 3546.3 
Hi Steve, I've attached here an example of the kind of complication that varying widths produces.

So a constant width sweep along a 90 degree bend would normally produce a miter at a 45 degree cut.

Check out the attached model that has varying widths, which I have cut with a 45 degree angle line using Trim. You can see the resulting gap:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3546.6 In reply to 3546.3 
To get the kind of reticulated shrinking tail that you want, you'll probably need to do something like extract edges from that version you had from sweeping, then use those in a loft with the "Loft style = straight" option to build a ruled surface.

That kind of loft has a similar look as a mitered corner sweep, but there are differences - a mitered corner sweep produces the corners by an extension of the main section of the sweep, so it keeps an even thickness in all areas.

When doing a loft with "Loft style = straight" between angled profiles, it produces sections of different widths like this:

That's the kind of thing that happens if you try to more directly connect angled miter profiles (even though in this example the 3 profiles are the same size, just rotated at different angles).

That variation can be reduced in size if you have more numerous sections that don't deviate by too much of an angle from one to the other though. But I hope that shows the difference from sweep.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All