Reality?

Next
Hi All,

Took this snapshot at work the other day for some technical info for our Apprentices on the effects of a correctly sharpened drill compared to a wrongly sharpened drill bit, this drill is sharpened correctly , not very exciting I know, but made me wonder, as time goes on I'm seeing a future where 3d modeling and rendering software will be so advanced and easy to use that we will not be able to distinguish what is real and what is a photograph we won't need cameras to record pictures for magazines, technical documentation and instructional manuals any more, only for personal memories of places we've been and people we've been with, if you see what the paparazzi make you think about a photograph of a star now, imagine the future when human rendering will be undistinguishable from the real thing.

Writing a visual instruction manual ? you don't need to hire the commercial photographer any more all is needed is a PC and some software, I'm thinking if the using photographs for evidence in the future would be still valid?

Anyway, I'm just glad that I've got into this 3D technology and know how it works and what it can produce, maybe it will give us the upper hand in recognising what is real or not.

Just some random thoughts.

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.2 In reply to 3301.1 
Hi DannyT,

Illusion or reality and Imagination is how you want to see the world around you.

Have a nice day,
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.3 In reply to 3301.1 
Hi Danny,

Sorry Danny, we are already there!! See all those nice glossy product photos in the magazines. A large portion of them are 3D. Lots have 3D models and photos seamlessly blended and you can't tell where the join is. Unless it's badly done of course.

>> all is needed is a PC and some software

Mmmm ... you need more than that - you need someone who knows how to use the PC and software and, more importantly, knows how to communicate. The skill is not in being able to use the tools themselves but in knowing how to use them to achieve the desired result. For example, just knowing how to use a camera doesn't make you a photographer. Anyone can press the keys and get notes out of a piano but it doesn't make them a musician.

>> maybe it will give us the upper hand in recognising what is real or not.

But isn't what you are really saying is that 3D has reached the point where you can't tell the difference between a photo and a render. But, photos don't really reflect reality either. This was one of the things I was taught at art college. Lenses distort, especial wide angles make things look much bigger that they are. Ever been to look at a house and thought, this room looked bigger in the brochure? Plus, photo re-touching has been around almost as long as photography has. So you can't trust the photos either :-)

Slightly less random thoughts from me.

Regards
Tony

(aka HamSoles)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.4 In reply to 3301.3 
Hi Tony,

Yeah, your right, I was just thinking most of the new car ads in the magazines these days are 3d models, most likely the car probably wasn't even on the production line when the images for the ad were produced.

> But isn't what you are really saying is that 3D
> has reached the point where you can't tell the
> difference between a photo and a render.

To some point, more so to the untrained eye and the majority of people, who look at photographs as a whole not the details, most of the time there would be some small give away to say it is a render, be it angle of light, shadows, textures etc.

> But, photos don't really reflect reality either.

It is a capture of a real physical object or person before it is manipulated though, not made up of computer code.

> So you can't trust the photos either :-)
Agree!

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

EDITED: 12 Mar 2010 by EDDYF

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.6 In reply to 3301.1 
Actually Danny, I think you are a very good photographer! You drilling picture is so well done I would have guessed you modeled and rendered it!

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.7 In reply to 3301.6 
Spot on Burr! Well done!

I was wondering how long it'll take someone to pick out that the picture was a render, what gave it away, too clean ?

I did this out of curiosity, I guess the future is already here :)

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.8 In reply to 3301.7 
Hi Danny,
I think it was a combination of the quality of photo and you stating that you "just snapped it at work". I wouldnt have known if I was looking at it and thinking that it was a professionally setup and managed photo.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3301.9 In reply to 3301.8 
On that note, if you really want to "fake it" you will setup some "Bad lighting" and actually create some kind of "Improper scene" to render. It will then appear real.

Kindof equates to a drum machine I have that is more advanced. It has a function called "Human feel". All it does is distort the "true timeing" to be "imperfect" by an entered value. Like a real human! It then sounds like a real person playing drums, instead of a machine going ...-----...-----...-----! I suppose one would take an actual snapshot in the shop, then examine what looks bad and become proficient at rendereing those things.

Remember, we get the military's hand-me-downs!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

EDITED: 12 Mar 2010 by EDDYF

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Oh, I never knew we were supposed to think it was a photo :)

Oops!

There are many give away signs that it's a render :P
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All