Scaling
All  1-2  3-5

Previous
Next
3211.3 In reply to 3211.2 
Yes, because I'm using drawings and such that are in a particular modeling scale as a basis for my 3D objects, I want to be able to create the objects in the original scale but when complete transform the entire object into a new scale.

So my example was, lets say I have the line drawings from a model aircraft in 1/72 scale. I use those to create the aircraft in that exact scale, but when I'm done and want to 3D print the object I want it printed in 1/144 scale. So I scale the entire object down by 50% in all directions, which should in thoery take me from 1/72 scale to 1/144 scale. Hope that makes sense.

I will give it a try with some objects to see how it works.

My main concern is that it distorts things evenly in all directions. I've worked with drawing programs that can be somewhat difficult to properly scale things, and I wasn't sure how hard it would be with the added complexities of 3D.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3211.4 In reply to 3211.3 
Hi Ryan,

> My main concern is that it distorts things evenly in all directions.

Yeah the regular Scale command scales evenly in all directions - when you go push the button you'll see there are some additional related commands "Scale 2D" and "Scale 1D" which have buttons pop up. You can run those other related commands if you want a non-uniform scaling type effect instead.

> I've worked with drawing programs that can be somewhat difficult
> to properly scale things, and I wasn't sure how hard it would be
> with the added complexities of 3D.

Yeah actually this part is not really that complex when it comes to 3D, and because MoI is a CAD program, it has a lot of focus on accurate control of things so for example you can type in your scale factor directly.

MoI tends to give you more specific numerical control over things than what you may find in a 2d illustration type program.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3211.5 In reply to 3211.4 
Gave it a try, worked smooth as silk! This really gives modelers like myself great flexibility. If I want to produce something in two different scales, I can just build it in one scale, and resize the entire model into a larger/smaller scale which is exteremly cool.

The more I play around with MoI, the more I love the tool for what I want to use it for.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-5