MOI import DWG??
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
3085.2 In reply to 3085.1 
Hi qibentie, I do want to make some progress in the future on adding some additional file formats.

I'm not entirely sure about DWG though - it is kind of a difficult format to work with since there is not any public specification available for it.

DXF is probably a better possibility, and DXF can contain all the same stuff as a DWG file.

MoI also supports reading curves or lines in from IGES, SAT, and STEP formats as well, which are used by several other kinds of CAD programs but unfortunately not AutoCAD. AutoCAD used to have an igesout command a long time ago but they removed it at some point. And it looks like they support SAT format, but for some reason only allow writing solids to and not any lines or curves, I have no idea why...

Currently one good way to bring stuff over from AutoCAD into MoI is to use Rhino as the translator, since Rhino can read DWG and then save to 3DM.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3085.3 In reply to 3085.2 
Thanks Michael ^_^
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3085.4 In reply to 3085.3 
Hi to all,

I struggled with this as wee, needing to import DXF files into MoI. A work around that I tested today is as follows:

I downloaded Blender last night. I imported a DXF file into Blender. I then exported it as a .obj file from Blender. I then used the Obj23dmWireframe utility that I downloaded from the MoI Resources page link to convert the .obj file to a .3dm file. I opened the new file in MoI. I had to scale the new 3dm file up by 25.4 due to the fact that the originating DXF file was from an inch setting and my current MoI setting is at mm.

Results: Very clean! I was very impressed. Sorry I cannot post any pics of it at this time, but you might want to have a go at something like this for youselves.

Hope this helps!

Michael T.

Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu

http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3085.5 In reply to 3085.4 
But you have only structure isn't it?
You apply Planar function after?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3085.6 In reply to 3085.5 
Yes Pilou,

In my case I am only really using it for 2D reference geometry to "build" from.

Michael T.

Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu

http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6