V2 beta Aug-8-2009 available now
 1  2-21  22-41  42-56

Previous
Next
2843.42 In reply to 2843.38 
Hi BurrMan,

>> I wonder what a popup in rhino, of all the available commands and scripts and such would look like?? :O

I'm not talking about a popup screen that list all the available commands inside MoI, that wouldn't make sence ... but just be able to build
a popup menu with my custom scripts or favorite commands ... some kind of quick access panel.

I mostly use shortcuts for every MoI's command allready, but for some extra scripts I don't use often enough, I just dont remind the shortcut ... for example, the pipe tool,
I always have to re-open my seetings/shortcut to remember on which key I mapped it 1 month ago.

I"m not asking for the 'list of all shorcuts/scripts available', or any pre-made shortcut list ...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.43 In reply to 2843.37 
Hi PaQ,

> Do you thing is it possible to add some rules on fillet/chamfer
> command to avoid this kind of problem ?

Hmmm, well one idea I had was to have a setting for whether newly created faces inside of an existing object would have either the parent object's style applied to them (which is what currently happens), or the active style.

But either one of those methods will place all of the newly created faces on a single style.

The desired result you show there (which seems like a good goal) doesn't have all of the new faces on a single style.

That probably makes sense to look at adjacent faces and if a newly created face is totally surrounded by other faces that all have the same style on it, it can get that style applied to it. If there is a mixture, then it can use the parent object's style. The main remaining difficulty with that, is that there isn't any way in the UI currently to set the style of the parent object without also setting all of the sub-object styles at the same time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.44 In reply to 2843.43 
I guess my post regarding this was "What determines the parent?" I couldnt seem to control this on that particular case.

I wouldnt expect a forced selection on every object created, but haveing the abilty to define a parent/child relationship if this matters as a workflow. An objects properties?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.45 In reply to 2843.42 
Hi Paq,
I understand now. Something like the "Scripts folder" with documentation.

But leaving this out of the main UI allows me to name my js file whatever I want it to be! Then it is just my responsabilty to create my own list of the commands I put in there to type at the command entry point.

Or for the MoI UI:
Maybe a window that reads the Scripts folder and presents a listbox of all the names in there, and a click would launch it????
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.46 In reply to 2843.44 
Hi Burr,

> I guess my post regarding this was "What determines the
> parent?"

The BRep object that is the owner of the faces and edges is the parent in this case.

> I couldnt seem to control this on that particular case.

The style on the brep is set if you select it with "whole object" selection and set a style. But that will also set the style of all of its sub-objects as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.47 In reply to 2843.46 
So in this photo, there are three objects, 2 styles. I'm going to boolean them together then fillet the result with .5 radius.

Seems the parent of the BREP is always the 2 cyliders. Cant make it the Red one. The fillet will always inherit the green.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.48 In reply to 2843.29 
Hi Danny,

> The pre selection highlight effect is quite cool, so far
> everything is running smoothly over here.

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it!

That was another problem area (along with a too dark display) that caused me to delay having colors for some time. When I first tried having colors, it was pretty strange when the color shifted to the old pre-selection highlight color when you moved the mouse over top of objects.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.49 In reply to 2843.31 
Hi Petr, that's great that you can get your 2-letter shortcuts to work now, I was hoping that the new keyboard options would let you get set up for that better.

Maybe in the future I can get some more built-in 2-letter support where you would not have to hit space/enter at the end, but it is a bit tricky.

>> Updated SAT export - closed surfaces are now split into
>> 2 joined half pieces

> It won't apply in case of writing the analytic surface (i.e. moi.ini
> WriteAnalyticSurfaces=y), will it?

Actually it still does apply even then - writing analytic surfaces does not do anything for SAT export, analytic entities are not supported for SAT format export in the I/O library currently. That may happen at some point but not likely anytime soon.

> There is still no command prompt for Show pts command
> when running command without preselection like I mentioned
> many months ago...

Oops, looks like I forgot to write that one down previously, I'll see about fixing that up.

> and I think the options dialog window section "View" needs
> sorting a bit (Import/Export section sets a good example). It
> looks quite chaotic after you added a couple of new (more or
> less related) buttons and checkboxes in a reckless manner ;)

I've done a tune-up for the next release - I made a new "Colors" section that contains Background color, Surface color, Edge color, and "Locked objects use alternate color" within it. Then the remaining stuff is underneath it more or less the same as in the current beta. That seems to help.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.50 In reply to 2843.47 
Hi Burr,

> Seems the parent of the BREP is always the 2 cyliders. Cant
> make it the Red one. The fillet will always inherit the green.

Maybe what I can do for the booleans is to set the new combined brep's style to be the one from the object that was selected first.

So then the order that you clicked on objects could determine things. I'll see if that is feasible.

Another idea is to maybe use Ctrl+click when assigning a style to set the style of the parent object without modifying any of the sub-objects.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.51 In reply to 2843.50 
An order of selection would certainly be a good way to set a parent/child. Hope that works out.

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I like these options.....

-
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.53 In reply to 2843.52 
Hi Danny, I'm not so sure about that - one thing is that boolean union is probably not such a great fit with that "target body" and "tool body" type distinctions...

Just sticking to "first selected object" seems like an easier system.

Also, by default MoI has a pretty simple system for determining the face result from a boolean - it just maintains the same styles on the input faces, possibly making a multi-style result. For example if you take a blue box and then boolean away a red sphere from it, you get a result that has both blue and red faces in it. The issue is about what to set as the style of the parent brep which may be used later on for determining which style to assign to newly created faces.

Also it looks like the choices you show there for "New Face Properties" would not allow for the kind of thing that PaQ was mentioning earlier, where it would be pretty nice if a fillet that was surrounded by all the same color faces would take on the same style.

For example something like these edges of a single solid:

When filleted could produce this result:

That seems to be a good goal.

- Michael

EDITED: 11 Aug 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2843.54 In reply to 2843.53 
Yeah, your probably right Michael.

I had a bit more of a think about this and MoI's handling of this is more suited for the rendering side of things, where the options I showed are just a visual for the cad side of things, I think.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ah, so there is a new beta version :)

That probably answers my question from the other thread then.

Sorry, I'm new here, as you gathered.

I just discovered Moi today, and I'm really loving it!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2843.56 In reply to 2843.20 
Agree with you yes it is mysterious on!
botham
  Reply Reply More Options